The online racing simulator
Tyres
(20 posts, started )
Tyres
Hi !
This is really un realistlic when your tires get to 200° and they blow out
and if you will wait , tyres are back green...
maybe its possible to make theim abrase like real tyres??
I hope this will be released
Thx.

If your tyre blows, it surely wont get back to green without pitting.
I mean if they are abaut 190 , they get back to green as normal.. and real tyre gets abrase ...
i agree, its really unrealistic.tyres becomes to a new one after waiting some minutes.
#5 - Vain
Do you mean blistering?

Vain
corrade , degrade , scuff , wear down
#8 - Vain
Why should a tyre wear down from heat?
Wear and heat are two different mechanisms. You can make a tyre wear down without ever increasing heat above 80 degrees and you can heat the tyre to 190 degrees without wearing it down significantly.
And both is implemented. No bug here.

However the LFS tyre model lacks a representation of blistering.

Vain
I think maybe he means that heating up a tyre alot while spinning it would create the blisters and hence excess tyre-wear.

As I see it, for the current level of development that the tyre model has it's not a "bug", it's just not an implemented feature yet.

Much like there is no aero damage while you can see that the car has been twisted up... it's just not implemented yet.

Patience.
I think he's talking about the tyre compound degrading in some way when you expose it to very high temperatures. The tyre colds sown after some minutes but the tyre compound gets damaged and it's performance decreases.

I don't know if that happens IRL, I'm just trying to explain what he means.
if you mention me , well i mean that.and i dont know any more if this is a bug or a waiting improvement or nothing of these.
I think tyres wear to quickly... especially in high speed driving.
You dont have to change your tyres every 10 miles of race pace :S
I frequently overheat my tyres to 190 degrees then wait 10 minutes for the to cool down again, before winning the race. In fact, that tactic is so successful I don't even bother driving, I just do donuts.

Sarcasm off: I would like blistering and heat cycles to be simulated one day on the tyres that would suffer, but the heat and cool cycle we have at the moment isn't technically incorrect (although the 200 degree auto-blowout is a bit silly, not that anyone could ever reach that from normal driving.
Also, it's actually 200°C average needed for a blowout. You can heat up a flatspot to 700°C and the tyre will still hold togehter, as long as the average temperature of all 16 pads is below 200°C.

Regarding heat cycles, don't they only really come into play when you actually keep the tyres between races, and not get brand new ones each race? Right now tyres are a disposable good that just have to last for one race, which is normally only the case for the highest forms of motorsport. Is there actually any benefit in tyres that already lived through a few heat cylces, or is the main reason not to use new ones just the €£$?
Well, most of the time yes it's cost. But heat cycles are important - that is why race drivers often scrub tyres - put a good heat cycle in them (not just working them from cold, but increasing their temperature gradually, then working them, then allowing them to cool gradually), and you'll get more grip, more consistency and a longer life out of them

'Green' tyres will blister, grain, fade, go-off etc quite quickly, and take a long time to 'come back'.

So heat cycles would be cool - prepare tyres during warmup for the race, perhaps even save tyres so that multiday events (qual on Saturday, race on Sunday) can be catered for, with the prepped tyres (or the qually tyres) being ready for the race.

Hell, parc ferme conditions would be great as well - stop people altering their setups between sessions, including tyres.

^ some suggestions for the 'Hardcore Mode' methinks
I would assume that the structural composition of a tire will change when the it is heated up to very high temps, i.e. close to "blow up" temp that is (arbitrarily) set to 200C, and then is cooled down. It would be especially true if the tire is built of a composite material.

My limited expertise in material science extends to steel/alloys so I might be completely off track here, although this matters seems to be worth investigating.

The 200C "blow up" value will definately vary from one type tire/rubber/composite to another, so that's another issue that should be addressed.
Quote from silver bullet :I would assume that the structural composition of a tire will change when the it is heated up to very high temps, i.e. close to "blow up" temp that is (arbitrarily) set to 200C, and then is cooled down. It would be especially true if the tire is built of a composite material.

My limited expertise in material science extends to steel/alloys so I might be completely off track here, although this matters seems to be worth investigating.

The 200C "blow up" value will definately vary from one type tire/rubber/composite to another, so that's another issue that should be addressed.

my (very limited) understanding is that tires (and brake pads) will "out gas" when overheated, which can lead to glazing on the surface, which in turn results in lower friction, even after the tires have cooled again.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
You're correct about the brake pads certainly, it's called green fade and results from pads that wern't heated and cooled correctly via a series of high speed hard stops when they were installed in the callipers. The binding agent vaporises, the gas between the pad and the brake concequently reduces friction significantly.
Quote from tristancliffe :So heat cycles would be cool - prepare tyres during warmup for the race, perhaps even save tyres so that multiday events (qual on Saturday, race on Sunday) can be catered for, with the prepped tyres (or the qually tyres) being ready for the race.

ever played f1gp from microprose in the early 90's? it had tyre sets simulated if I remember correctly, so you had to choose which set you wanted to use in practice, qualy and race.

Of course simulation wasn't very detailed, but this added to realism, gosh did I play a lot with that game with the keyboard. I used to handicap my car to give the AI a chance, they still never beat me though
I built a steering wheel for it! It was digital. about 120 degrees lock to lock, and it only registered steering at full lock, so the 119.5 degrees in the middle was pointless.

But I was 9 or 10, and I was rather pleased with it. I think my Dad taught me how to drill (and how to sharpen drills I subsequently blunted :shy, how to solder, how to hacksaw (a useful skill ), and lots of other basic techniques, so I owe a lot to F1GP

Tyres
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG