The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :I'm also trying something with the sound bug.

I started a project to translate winmm calls used by LFS to directsound. The idea was to make a DLL than implements these calls, and then just modify LFS binary to import this DLL instead of winmm. Unfortunately the project stalled due to several reasons. I have too much other work recently, and I no longer have any Vista machine, thus I no longer have much motivation to work on it. There's not much done, only the patching utility, and all the needed calls stubbed out, so the patched LFS runs but without sound. I realize the usefuleness of it is near zero, anyway, here it is:

https://lampka.siedziba.pl/Web ... ting.php?path=/lfsdsound/
Quote from Victor M Aldecôa :Do you have a preview for when are you going to have a solution?

Well that's really hard to guess because I am dealing with issues where the answer is not yet known. I'm currently working on the Vista sound problem as well, and finishing the auto patching system. All I can say is that I hope that the next test patch will be ready not long after mid-month sort of time.
Quote from Scawen :Well that's really hard to guess because I am dealing with issues where the answer is not yet known. I'm currently working on the Vista sound problem as well, and finishing the auto patching system. All I can say is that I hope that the next test patch will be ready not long after mid-month sort of time.

sounds great! good luck!
Scawen, wouldn't a good test for the Auto-Patching Be to release a dummy patch, whose job is strictly to patch to Patch V?
The auto patcher will be tested by you before we get to Patch V.

That means there must be at least 2 test patches before V.
Quote from Scawen :The auto patcher...

I assume it can be turned off, or will it start to download in the middle of the race and then asks me to restart LFS .

There isn't a "auto" anything running on my PC!

Edit: Nice system .
When you click for a list of games, and there is a new update available, the master server tells LFS to tell you there is a new update available, plus a description, and a list of possible download sites (mirrors).

You can choose one of the mirrors, or click cancel. If you click a mirror, the file is downloaded, LFS exits, the patch is unzipped automatically and LFS is restarted.

It's completely unintrusive and fully informative, because I also don't like software that does things without asking me.
-
(ORION) DELETED by ORION : too slow :)
Sounds sweet. So we get the auto-patch test version, and then test that by auto-downloading patch V, right?
Quote from Bob Smith :Sounds sweet. So we get the auto-patch test version, and then test that by auto-downloading patch V, right?

Quote from Scawen :The auto patcher will be tested by you before we get to Patch V.

That means there must be at least 2 test patches before V.

No, we'll test it on U22. Read the thread, Bob.
Quote from axus :No, we'll test it on U22. Read the thread, Bob.

You're no fun.
Quote from Scawen :...If you click a mirror, the file is downloaded, LFS exits, the patch is unzipped automatically and LFS is restarted....

Hi, are the new patches going to download to the LFS root folder? Are they then deleted or could we move that zip afterwards to another location? Ive got all patches and test patches since S1H in a folder.

Great idea BTW
maybe an idee to stay into this subject? the Vista problems and not the patch thing guys
Quote from Scawen :But don't worry, we'll get there in the end. I have some things to follow up and people to talk to. I'm also trying something with the sound bug.

I guess that makes everything clear
nothing to do really, until sc contacted some people and tested the unlock stuff. Then he will most likely post a small minor additional not-so-important install-if-you-want-to-test-unlocking-with-vista test patch here
Test Patch U21
There is still a slight bit of audio distortion on my Vista installation under U21, a few pops and crackles, and other issues related to the sound lag setting in U20 and backwards.
Scawen, did you hardcode the Sound lag at a particular value? Because that will most likely cause problems. Each person's system requireds a different sound lag value under Vista, for example mine needed to be at 0.26s, while one of my friends had to have theirs at nearer 0.4s
Well, it's a completely different system and there is no such thing as sound lag any more - and that is why the slider has been removed. It's not hard coded, it's just removed completely. LFS now send packets of sound, when Windows tells it that it's time to send another. The guesswork and prediction has supposedly been removed.

How bad are the pops and crackles now? Are they happening constantly as you drive around, or is it just occasionally, here and there?
The pops are pretty much constant, I hear the car for about 3/4 of a second, then there'll be a few pops, then the car for 3/4 of a second again. It's bearable, but an annoyance.
in vista 32bit, the sound is worst than ever before, can't even play it now with the cracking using patch u22, before I used sound lag 40 that was okish, but sounds like it’s on 24 or something

EDIT
after playing with options bit more with 'sound block' setting it to 3 4 or 5 remove that cracking sound, now sounds are much better than having full sound lag on, but its worst when car is not moving and changing between the settings don't help at all

EDIT AGAIN:
Cracking sound only happens when you’re close to the barrier, sounds perfect when car is in middle of the track with nothing else around it
i just installed the latest testversion (Windows Vista RC2)

"vista_5744.16384.061003-1945_x86fre_client-lrmcfre_en_dvd.iso"

unfortunately i have installed the sound blaster x-fi vista drivers dated from 12 juli 2006 (old ones) since they havent developed new x-fi drivers for RC2..

but i'll give LFS a try with U22 and report details back here soon
Thank you all for your help with Vista.

The Vista unlocking is now fixed, starting with Patch U21 / U22.

The new sound issues seem to affect XP as well as Vista, or it's cured on some Vista installations, or... whatever, actually we can't see a pattern yet. We may not have any Vista specific problems at all now. So I will start a new thread to discuss U22 sound, and I'll close this thread now.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG