The online racing simulator
A return to LFS, plus an adventure...
Hello fellow LFS'ers!

Ok, not like it's a huge bulletin, because it's not...haha If you all recall I now go by the name Pyro, not the old Yodman you were all used to. However, I've had a long absence from LFS as my steering wheel gave out back in June, so I gave up for the most part. I've since popped in once or twice a month maybe online on ym gamepad, but I've come here to return good news! I'm going to get a new wheel soon, which means a full-on return to LFS! You cna bet I'm looking at a G25 for an early Christmas gift from my aunt who will be up in November. So, basically around Thanksgiving time I should be back up and running with a wheel, shifter, adn finally 3 pedals! I can't wait! Like I said, it'd not a huge bulletin, but I thought I'd make a note for all of you who may recognize the name and wonder where it had gone!
Good luck to all you fellow real-car drivers out there too, because I just had a minor incident last night. Scared the crap out of me too, as well as my friends in the car with me. It had rained, so it was slick as ice out. We were coming back from a friend's house at about 10 pm or so, and everything was going fine. I was trying to amke good time
getting home so i wouldn't be late, so I took a couple shortcuts, however I wasn't driving like an arse. I was following the limits lol! So, moving on, I come up to a corner about 25 mph, like every other corner I had taken, and I enter, slow down to about 20, and then accelerate again to go straight. The car fishes out on me to the left, so I counter it, save it once, and then it kicks back around the opposite direction, and I go to counter again, NEVER THINKING TO HIT THE BRAKES (had I done so I would've saved myself no problem) and as I begin to counter, I'm already at the shoulder on the opposite side of the road and next thing I know, I'm off the road about 5 feet into tall grass. Thank God it wasn't a ditch, adn no one was hurt, and nor was the car, and nor was I going any faster, and nor did I flip the car! This was my first incident ever! I've been driving on my license for I believe 6 months now. Until now I haven't once had an incident, but for now I'm terrified to drive my car and I've already put it into storage for the winter because I'm so scared of it! (For all of you who may remember, I drive a 2004 Ford Mustang that's bright orange) Like I said though, no damage to the car, to us, or to any private property, so all is well. Yes, the car had been stuck, trust me I tried to get it out...My dad eventually brought his truck and pulled me out... Haha, sorry to write a novel, but I was in a writing mood just now...and now I shall head to bed! Good night all, and be careful driving out there!

~Yod
Glad to hear you're ok man :up:
In many ways what you've just been through is probably invaluable - it's shown you at very little "cost" that you don't actually have a force-field of invulnerability when you drive, and that in real life Shift-R is a tiny bit more expensive...

Very glad you're OK, this will make you a much better driver. Take your time getting your confidence back.

Cheers

Rakhsh
If you fall off the horse you gotta get back on it man. Sooner the better.
#5 - SamH
Glad to hear you're okay, Yod!

I had a similar experience to yours, about the same length of time after getting my licence.. nobody hurt, just a pounding heart and sweaty palms, but that one experience probably saved my life a dozen times since, just simply by scaring the **** out of me, and giving me a cautious edge.

In the last year, two of my friends haven't been so lucky. Both of them are in wheelchairs indefinitely, after street racing incidents bought them bedtime and brain damage.

I agree with Nighty, you should keep driving. You can't learn from the experience unless you apply what you learned to driving.. and if you're going to be off the road for 6 months before you drive again, you may find yourself too nervous come Spring.

Great news about the G25!
hi there... first... good to hear nothing's really happened.... and as the others said... don't be scared too much...it will make it quite hard for you to start driving again...
I had a similar "situation" like you, but there was some damage to the car, which made my account a little lighter... ;-) but I got on with driving, took it as a expensive lesson and got over it...

Years later I had a stupid crash with a motorcycle, this time no damage at all (appart from scratches which don't matter at all on a Yamaha TT600) and a couple of bruises, I drove the bike home, sold it 2 weeks later and quit riding.. It took me 6 years to get on to a bike again and it was like learning to ride again, but 5 times more scary....

consider it a lesson and learn through it :-)
hi yodman, seems like theres a few of us that have done that kind of thing! I had a very similar experience a couple years back. Was in my Commodore (Australian 6 cylinder rear-wheel-drive sedan) in the wet when I fish-tailed under power and crashed up the kerb trying to catch it.

I drive a front-wheel drive car now...lol....save the race driving for LFS
See now, I'm not scared to drive in general, but just my car for now. I have a truck for the winter anyways, because I would NEVER drive my Mustang in the winter...I want to keep it nice for a long time! Just needs a solid wash, wax, and vacuum cleaning before final storage. But yeah I'm goign to keep driving, because I've got the pickup truck! Now that the whole issue has passed, I'm over it and I'm calm about driving again too. Thanks for all the helpful comments and stories, guys. Like I said, you'll be hearing from me soon enough!

~Yod

PS @ Speed Face: Yep I know what a Commodore is...I was in Australia last summer actually and I know a bit about Aussie cars in general.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG