The online racing simulator
#1 - JTbo
Would it be possible to mod rev limiter?
Currently rpm limiter is about 1500-2000rpm too high in RA for example. Would be more realistic to get it to 7000-7500 range.

No, I don't flatshift, I'm just hoping that it would add one realistic thing to game and I think that devs won't do it for long time if ever, beause of flatsifters.

Thing that it might add is that you should be bit careful not to hit limiter in tight corners. As if you hit limiter with 1st or 2nd while turning at limit, you will find that your car got upset, mostly you will find that this affects rwd cars that are light.

So now I ask from all mod makers, is it possible to mod this?
Unsure. I want to do this aswell, but the other way around. To remove the rev limiter. This is because i love thrashing cars around.

So what if it is 1500RPM past the peek power?? I love the sound of a car screaming its arse off, and working.
#3 - Tege
Quote from JTbo :Currently rpm limiter is about 1500-2000rpm too high in RA for example. Would be more realistic to get it to 7000-7500 range.

Actually in real RA the revlimiter is at 6100rpm and on the new engine maybe 6500 or something.
#4 - JTbo
Quote from Tege :Actually in real RA the revlimiter is at 6100rpm and on the new engine maybe 6500 or something.

Oh yes, I did read that from website and already forgot it, bad me.

My own car has limiter at 6200 as it still has stock ignition control, but as engine is bit tuned it runs like an animal against limiter, not funny at all when you have pretty good acceleration near exit of corner and soon ta ta ta ta, after that fast hands needed again
Too bad I lost most of track videos little time ago, there was few times where engine did touch limiter in real action.

Anyway, I would like to have proper limiter, specially to RA as it is my favorite. I remember when I played with LFS Tweak in S1 that I could make engine to rev without limit until it got damage, now in S2 these cars loose power before limiter, so in race situation one never sees limiter at all.

@marsden1002:
I really like sound when you lauch car too hard and you are spinning your wheels, smoke is all over and that rattaarrttaat(ignition cut@limit rpm) sound comes from engine

But does anyone know can it be done with a mod?
never hold my gears until the rev limiter. If i spin at the start i dont hold my foot flat, but hold the revs just before the limiter
You shouldn't let your car hit the rev limiter while you are in gear, because even when the spark is cut, there still may be inertia that is keeping the engine spinning. And, to edit car settings, I think you have to edit the data\veh\*.vob.
what program can i use to edit .vob files then??

cheers,
If you don't want to reply to marsden here he has made two or three other threads on this topic also. Choose one to answer in.

By the way, then answer is you can't.
what difference does it make? by the time these cars get to the limiter they are out of power anyways
why do all the cars run out out power thou?? I cant think of many cars, which run out of "steam" by time they get to redline. SOme of the cars in S2 run out nearly 3000 rpm before
I can't think of one car that DOESN'T run out of steam at the redline... Change up slightly after peak power and you'll be quicker.
#12 - JTbo
RA runs out of steam way before redline, still long way to limiter from there. Road cars pull nicely to limiter, they don't lose 50% power at redline as some LFS cars do.

So I take that nobody actually knows how it is done or is not willing to share that information to public, which I perfectly understand now

*.vob files are car models as far as I know, my guess is that limiter is in .exe and memory editor like lfstweak is only way to access limiter...

Here is one powercurve from my car, redline is at 5500 and fuelpressure was not staying stable, so that is why it has odd bumps, but engine is not losing power at redline and so it is with many cars, from my opinion it is unrealistic to have all engines losing great amount of power _before_ redline, that is why I would like to have little mod that could make this thing bit more real.
My car's engine is still not very sporty, Japanese engines are much sportier and certainly not losing power before redline and not much at limiter either.

And as I already told, proper limiter will add realism, because when you are cornering at limit, you really don't won't to hit limiter, because that will push your tail out when driving rwd.
And also I already did mention that devs are not probably setting limiter to realistic value because of these flat sifters and so only possibility is to mod that thing.

But if you don't know solution, pls don't go to O/T, it is pointless imo.
The .vob isnt the model, .cmx is i think. And, I used notepad, but I got a bunch of those boxes and random characters.
Like i said, most cars still have power right up to the redline, but all the power curves of these cars stop way before red. Cant remember any off the top of my head, as im not at home at the moment.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The .vob isnt the model, .cmx is i think. And, I used notepad, but I got a bunch of those boxes and random characters.

.cmx is for the cmx viewer only, LFS uses a different format. If its any of those file's, it'll be the .vob files in the VEH(icles) folder.

Saying that though, they might not be in any of those files at all.
it would be nice to have a three-step rev limiter for the turbo cars. ie, one rev limiter set low to bounce on to build boost for the start, one at the limit, and another for when the clutch is engaged between gears at a lower rpm to bounce on to keep up boost.
AFAIK the *.vob are really just the polygon models, because if you switch them, you'll have a new body but exactly the same car specs like the orignial.
(UF1 with FO8 bodywork looks quite strange :really
Quote from bw_krupp :it would be nice to have a three-step rev limiter for the turbo cars. ie, one rev limiter set low to bounce on to build boost for the start, one at the limit, and another for when the clutch is engaged between gears at a lower rpm to bounce on to keep up boost.

isnt that what an anti-lag system is? i'm not too sure about how those work but what you've described sounds like that's what it could be
antilag would be awesome, especially for the RB4.

Ive driven a Evo 8 with quite serious power, and a comprehensive anti-lag setup, and wow it makes a diffrence...

as for that article, i disagree with some comments made, esp about destroying exhausts, i know several daily driven street cars with anitilag that have been running it for nearly a year no issues.
The rev limiter in this game is not realistic at all.

If this game was truly trying to capture a realistic experience:

The racecars would have a removable and changeable limiter.
And the street cars would have a realistic <1000rpm-<100rpm above redline limiter.

Also the limiter would bounce more, instead of "humming" at the speed. When rev limiters cut fuel it causes a longer loss of power. Just download some racing videos until you can hear one.

Also, Many cars, including my previous and my current one, make power all the way to the fuel cut/rev limit. My Honda Legend made over 180whp after the redline of 6300rpm and made it all the way to 7000rpm. My current MX6 makes about 140whp between 7000-8000rpm which isn't even a 10% decrease below the peak HP around ~6000rpm.

Either way the limiter on the street cars should be set to a level before any serious power loss occurs.
Quote from herki :AFAIK the *.vob are really just the polygon models, because if you switch them, you'll have a new body but exactly the same car specs like the orignial.
(UF1 with FO8 bodywork looks quite strange :really

i had to try that... switched the names of the vob files and heres the result

*note* if u wanna make that,be sure to make backup of the original files.
Attached images
XFGV8.jpg
MRTmonster.jpg
UFTurbo.jpg
cool!
Quote from Dethred :The rev limiter in this game is not realistic at all.

If this game was truly trying to capture a realistic experience:

The racecars would have a removable and changeable limiter.
And the street cars would have a realistic <1000rpm-<100rpm above redline limiter.

Also the limiter would bounce more, instead of "humming" at the speed. When rev limiters cut fuel it causes a longer loss of power. Just download some racing videos until you can hear one.

Also, Many cars, including my previous and my current one, make power all the way to the fuel cut/rev limit. My Honda Legend made over 180whp after the redline of 6300rpm and made it all the way to 7000rpm. My current MX6 makes about 140whp between 7000-8000rpm which isn't even a 10% decrease below the peak HP around ~6000rpm.

Either way the limiter on the street cars should be set to a level before any serious power loss occurs.

Check my post out. Got an IS200 on the rev limiter. (at standstill)
Quote from marsden1002 :Like i said, most cars still have power right up to the redline, but all the power curves of these cars stop way before red. Cant remember any off the top of my head, as im not at home at the moment.

Maybe most cars you've driven, but i wouldn't say most.

The way i understand it, max power is a function of fuel/air/spark timing
and redline is a limitation of the moving mecanical parts.

The redline is when the mecanical parts cannot keep up, hence the damage.
When the parts can't keep up it means the timing/mixture will also be bad
and therefore power goes down.

I'm sure some people into engineering could also show how every engine
(bore/stroke/displacement/config) has it's own optimal operating frequencies
and consequently must have BAD frequencies at which they are unbalanced
or something.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG