The online racing simulator
new wheels for lfs
(24 posts, started )
new wheels for lfs
This may be posted before, but since in couldn't find anything related in the search, i'm going to present my "idea".

how about some new wheels for our beloved game?

Manufacturers like BBS have been used in racing for many years now, and as i'm not to fond of the "rims" used in LFS today, i thought i should speak my mind..

a big part of the LFS community would/will be flaming me for "ricing" if i should be so unfortunate to be wanting something NOT racing.. (sorry for the bad english btw)

therefor, how about integrating some racing-style wheels (BBS or other racingwheel manufacturers)?

Here are some renders people have made to illustrate how it could(should?) look like >=>

Morrow Designs FXO XRR FZR

Cryzwei FZR

Spinnenbein FZR

I'm not saying that all these wheeldesigns should be used, it's just to show how much better cars look with well designed wheels, and yet another point, a couple of them actually look like metal!

Examples for designs suitable for LFS: BBS RS, LM, Challenge.. all nice, and i believe they've all been used in motorsports. BBS LM
hehe that ex. is nice but thats badarse polys and wed get like 5 fps on a top end pc
but its doable, and id really like to see that u can choose some rims for every car(fixed sizes for the cars(s) of course).
just the rims can change the whole look of the car.
or, at least it would be nice that we could choose from the current rims.
that means all rims would be available for every car and no fixed rims like it is now.
thatd be an big improvent already.
Wish our developers could somehow make a similiar sort of deal as they had with BMW Sauber F1 and the Michelin Tires. BBS wheels are RL race wheels that look good and perform even better. Besides, it adds to realism in a similiar way the Michelins do.
while I don't mind the wheels in LFS, some new ones would be very cool. BBS, OZ, Enkei, and other racing-type wheels only, though. I'm not looking for rice, just wheels that would concievably be on a trackday car.

That Morrow FXO looks absolutely stunning...
#5 - Jakg
Quote from 96 GTS :while I don't mind the wheels in LFS, some new ones would be very cool. BBS, OZ, Enkei, and other racing-type wheels only, though. I'm not looking for rice, just wheels that would concievably be on a trackday car.

That Morrow FXO looks absolutely stunning...

Those FXO wheels look a lot like RL OZ Superturismos. Anyway, the RB4 would look a LOT better with 17 inch BBS forged multispoke wheels, like those on the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI MR.

And yes, race oreinted wheels only.
although your right some new wheels would be nice, i think the DEV's time could be alot better spent at this moment in time.
Agreed, nikimere, but one could always wish. This is an improvement suggestions forum anyway. Could be an S3 or S2 final thing as far as I'm concerned.
well, it doesn't have to be timeconsuming for the devs, since this can be done by outsiders.. modeling the wheels shouldn't be that hard, am i wrong?

anyways, i don't think i'm going to get on that task, since i haven't done any 3d modeling yet, hehe!
yes very good idea i am a fan of Oz myself. maybe its just from watching too much wrc
Can I jsut add that Morrow's designs and renders are jaw-droppingly gorgeous? Loving those different wheels.
i agree! i've never seen such wonderful rendering!

they're just insanely smooth! illepall
another thought - why not have different wheels and sizes for the rally and the tarmac tires?

higher profile tire on gravel-and-dirt tires and lower profile tires on tarmac, with a different rim.
maybe some Drifting wheels too. Such as Yokohama, Watanabe, and SSR
Quote from cloudstrife676 :maybe some Drifting wheels too. Such as Yokohama, Watanabe, and SSR

Just to clear up a little myth about wheels, both serious racers and drifters use the same wheels, so there's no such thing as "drift wheels".

Both applications, however, desire the same characteristics. Low mass, high stiffness, strength to weight ratio, temperature and corrosion resistance, reliability, etc. IRL, those so called "drift wheels" used in D1 are no different from what race cars use.
Quote from Jamexing :those so called "drift wheels" used in D1 are no different from what race cars use.

Except the logos on one side are mirrorred so they 'good' in shop windows as you crawl passed...
Quote from tristancliffe :Except the logos on one side are mirrorred so they 'good' in shop windows as you crawl passed...

Well, kids will buy into ANY silly fad and commercial gimmick these days...
I think interchangable racing wheels are a good idea. btw I've fallen in love with the first renders. AMAZING.
Quote from Jamexing :Just to clear up a little myth about wheels, both serious racers and drifters use the same wheels, so there's no such thing as "drift wheels".

No, there are no special designed wheels for drift designs. But have you seen a touring car with 16" watanabes lately? I think not
i think the design of the wheel could change depend on the tyre... like wrc cars... tarmac tyres have type of wheel... gravel have another type...
I'm GETTING a new wheel for LFS soon....a logitech G25. :eclipseeh...only new wheel I need, cos when I'm racing, I sure as hell aint looking at the rims!! :biggrinfl

22 posts in 30 months...you cant call THAT spamming!!
Changing the wheels in LFS is a simple case of poking one float value for the number of spokes on each wheel. OK that doesn't open up new designs but simply modifies the existing wheel design - but it would be quick for the devs to do.

I would need to check that doing this would not effect the cars performance in any way (it might effect weight), if it does not I will add the feature to a future version LFSC.

For more variety of actual wheel design though would take Eric-input
Quote from newage :i think the design of the wheel could change depend on the tyre... like wrc cars... tarmac tyres have type of wheel... gravel have another type...

and how was that any different from what i said?
Quote from Becky Rose :Changing the wheels in LFS is a simple case of poking one float value for the number of spokes on each wheel. OK that doesn't open up new designs but simply modifies the existing wheel design - but it would be quick for the devs to do.

I would need to check that doing this would not effect the cars performance in any way (it might effect weight), if it does not I will add the feature to a future version LFSC.

For more variety of actual wheel design though would take Eric-input

I believe this is a very bad idea. The tires can and should be generated on the fly, but the wheels could and IMO should be modeled. For a start, that technique used ATM seems to use some sort of "cross section" in the middle of the wheel, which looks both bad and unrealistic. Then I believe the designs possible are relatively limited and I'm not sure it's possible to texture the wheels, which would definitely help in faking a realistic look and masking a lower polycount.
I mean it's ok to do some things in a different way than everyone else, but if it's not broken, don't fix it.

new wheels for lfs
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG