The online racing simulator
HA! In your face!
(23 posts, started )
HA! In your face!
For all you nay-sayers...
<<Victor
- One of LFS's goals is to be able to simulate anything on wheels.
So I'd say the strength of LFS will lie in versatility and of course quality.
Limitless would be a good keyword >>

Downhill skateboarding is on wheels. Is it not?

hehehehehehehehehe... <cough> eh?
What the deuce?
Quote from Slartibartfast :Downhill skateboarding is on wheels. Is it not?

OMG. The best kept secret of LFS development has been discovered! Although, LFS is an online racing simulator - I don't think downhill skateboarding is called racing, maybe something more along the lines of 'goofing around'?
I can assure you it's racing. The first heats are all about checking out the road. The next ones are about challenging your opponents and your wheels to see how they respond under pressure. The final heats are taking advantage of all you've learned on the day, and pushing yourself to limits you never knew existed.

If you think drifting around corners at 60 mph *this* close to your opponents on a vehicle that's smaller than your shadow is not racing....

Well then...

PS You're talking to the guy who took 8th place in the Professional division at the U.S. Nationals 2005. The only reason I was in 8th was because I read the brackets wrong and was on the side of the road cheering everyone on in what should have been my final heat. Whoops! So, yeah. I know a little bit about racing skateboards and the grip characteristics of polyurethane.

PSS Controller implementation would be heady.
Quote from Huru-aito :OMG. The best kept secret of LFS development has been discovered! Although, LFS is an online racing simulator - I don't think downhill skateboarding is called racing, maybe something more along the lines of 'goofing around'?

AFAIK downhill skateboarding is a competitive sport, with speeds in excess of 55 kph (gasp!) Perhaps the phrasing would have had the desired effect had they said anyting motor powered on wheel. Or something

*edit: except anything RC, they can have their own simulations..
Quote from Slartibartfast :If you think drifting around corners at 60 mph *this* close to your opponents on a vehicle that's smaller than your shadow is not racing....

Mmm, drifting. Now there's another thing I don't consider racing.

Nevermind me, I'm just having my moments of unnecessary posting like so many people here
havent seen you here in a while

if we ever get any sport that involves lots of body movement into lfs i think it will be rubbish (maybe not for bikes as those arent all that dependant on where your bodys at)
Here's another unnecessary post.

When I use the term "Drift" I ALWAYS mean it in the traditional sense. That other meaning does not exist in my universe.
Quote from Shotglass :....(maybe not for bikes as those arent all that dependant on where your bodys at)

Handling on a bike is VERY dependant on body movement. Hanging off the bike and using your body weight means you don't have to lean the bike over as much. The more you can corner with the bike leaning less, the better. Why else would they lean over so they are scraping their knees on the track?
Yeah... or something like the Wii... or just good keyboard layout.

Techniques:
  • Weight on rear foot - slower, more understeer.
  • Weight on front foot - faster, more oversteer.
  • Tuck, hands wrapped tight - faster, less wind.
  • Tuck, hands or hand out - slower, more wind, or aero turn assist.
  • Tuck, head up or down - better or reduced aero, able to see over leading riders butt.
  • Upright, and upright with arms out - massive air braking.
  • Standing up too quickly or finging one arm out - major upset.
  • Foot braking
  • Foot braking with foot on wheel - major upset.
  • Push starting
  • Push starting with foot on wheel - major upset.
  • Leaning and pushing on toes or heals - steering.
  • Then all of the above with rail grab turns.
Yeah... like that.
@ Slartibartfast: a) who are you? b) what sort of board do you ride c) do you post on silverfishlongboarding?

I ride a Kebbek Jon Caften with 83mm Flys and modified R2s. Didn't expect to see another longboarder on LFS.
Hey Spook!

My name is Mark Jeangerard - Amatuer Skateboarder (Among other things.)

In 2005 I was sponsored by SinSystems Bearings. (Which are VERY, VERY good.)

When racing I use a Landyachtz R4, Randalls Race Stock, 83mm Flys at whichever duro is working, KHIRO bushings and SinSystems bearings. I'm going to get them shiny JimZ hangers for 2007.

44" FibreFlex, 46" Sector 9 Bomber, 44" Dregs race, with 150mm R2s and Flashbacks, Classics, Flys.... Cruising and ditches.

40" Alva Cadillac with R2 150s and Red Kross Duane Peters wheels for sliding. (What the kids call *drifting* in cars now-a-days.)

36" Alva Cadillac with Grind King Jay Adams and any old wheel that suits the park/pipe/ramp...

Some Skaterbuilt Cone Killers with the odd Fluit truck and 3dm and Chaput wheels. (Radikals next summer? Weeeeee...)

Oh, BTW... did I mention I live a few minutes from Indian School Ditch? (he he he)

Who are you? Where you at?

I'll be in Breck this winter.
Haha nice idea. I'm a concrete bowl park kinda guy myself; regular ol blank deck, Independants, 65mm Spitfires, Bones Swiss bearings. I've never had the equipment or the abundance of balls to try a big downhill, but I rather love carving around something like this. (I live about half an hour from that particular park - small, but tons of fun)

I can envision downhill skateboarding controls on a regular joystick: X/Y axis for body lean, and a couple buttons for +/- crouch, air/foot braking. Sadly, I don't see this happening in LFS though
65mm wheels? they must be chunky as ****! biggest iv ever had were 56 i think?
Quote from gingerman87 :65mm wheels? they must be chunky as ****! biggest iv ever had were 56 i think?

You need to learn about your roots, young man.

Quote from Slartibartfast :
Who are you? Where you at?

As my flag states, I'm in the UK. Hants, to be precise. Looks like you've got some sweet boards, my only other board is a Wefunk with Tracker RTX/RTS 139 and Pink SickSicks'.
Quote from Dumpy :I rather love carving around something like this. (I live about half an hour from that particular park - small, but tons of fun)

Now *that* is a sweet little bowl. I'll be up Portland way in a few years. I noticed Grindline has been busy there abouts. Looks like Dreamland is doing some good work too. I'm going to like it there.
Quote from spookthehamster :
As my flag states, I'm in the UK. Hants, to be precise. Looks like you've got some sweet boards, my only other board is a Wefunk with Tracker RTX/RTS 139 and Pink SickSicks'.

Not sure where Hants is, but I get out London way once in a while. I have a nice map of skateparks accessable from the tube. Good to know there's some slalom going on too.
Hants, Hampshire, it's where I grew up. Big places in Hampshire would be Portsmouth, Southampton, Winchester and Bournemouth. Has lots of trees. Was once home to the largest council estate in Western Europe. Erm, yeah.
Quote from Slartibartfast :For all you nay-sayers...
<<Victor
- One of LFS's goals is to be able to simulate anything on wheels.
So I'd say the strength of LFS will lie in versatility and of course quality.
Limitless would be a good keyword >>

Downhill skateboarding is on wheels. Is it not?

hehehehehehehehehe... <cough> eh?

naaaahhh this is the future
Quote from Bob Smith :Was once home to the largest council estate in Western Europe. Erm, yeah.

The less said about Lee Park the better. I'm quite a way from there, thankfully.

HA! In your face!
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG