The online racing simulator
Pre-heated tyres in race cars for qualifying
Er, this one does what it says on the tin.

Also, an EVEN softer compound that blows out after 10 laps would be helpful.
+1 would be great for hotlapping as well...
erm.... theres a (few sites) discussion about this in the patch forum.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :erm.... theres a (few sites) discussion about this in the patch forum.

Er... that's about hotlapping not quali
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I think he wants them at a higher temperature.

Kev, who the hell are GRPR!
Quote from thisnameistaken :The tyres are pre-heated. Leave your car doing nothing in the garage for half an hour and check the temps.

Sorry, no. Whilst they are above atmospheric temperature, in motorsport with tyre blankets they would start waay more than 80.
Quote from duke_toaster :Er... that's about hotlapping not quali

anyway, i think for holapping it would be good but for quali its maybe a bit much (u would see players pit in / out all the time).
and in qualify mode, u have to do at least 1 "slow lap" (if u pitted or joined after the quali started) there u can warmup the tires
i rarely see that the best times are driven in the first or second lap (where u will have the best tires temperatures that way) so i think its not really needed
#8 - jtr99
Quote from duke_toaster :Sorry, no. Whilst they are above atmospheric temperature, in motorsport with tyre blankets they would start waay more than 80.

Are you sure Duke? The only data I could find on the net was from an F1 glossary, and it said:

Quote :Tire blanket
Electrified slip covers used to heat the tires prior to mounting them on a car. The temperature (approx. 80 degrees) promotes better track adhesion and thus enhances road performance.

It's an interesting coincidence. Do you know or are you guessing?
The heaters I've seen used in tarmac rallies (~600 watts), can heat the tyre about 80°C, not much hotter. Dunno about single-seaters though.
I've heard that 80 is about their limit too, but who knows what the truth is really.

And you'd never heat them artificially to 'operating temp' because they'd just chunk. The warmers concentrate on the surface temp, but tyres need mkore core temp to function. just heating the skin of the tread won't do you any favours. I think.
I wonder if they do heat up the tyre rim and the air they put inside the tyre as well? This would help to bring the whole tyre up to temperature and not just the rim.
#12 - Gunn
The most recent info I know of (for F1) is 80-90. Until I heard that (6 months ago) I was under the impression it was 80.
Quote from GP4Flo :I wonder if they do heat up the tyre rim and the air they put inside the tyre as well? This would help to bring the whole tyre up to temperature and not just the rim.

I think this is exactly what Ferrari were accused of doing with their "tyre ovens".

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG