The online racing simulator
rotary engine wankel??
(55 posts, started )
rotary engine wankel??
can it be posibole to make a wankel engine to s3???
AFAIK it's just a matter of simulating the power & torque curves, and the fuel consumption too, because I think rotary engines are fuel thirsty. Maybe someone can give you more details.
i know it takes very much fuel but its the sound
if i were you i wouldnt hold my breath until we get a proper sounding wankel
meee waaants Mazda RX-8
Quote from Shotglass :if i were you i wouldnt hold my breath until we get a proper sounding wankel

A 'proper' sounding engine of ANY description will be a start!

Quote from bo-kristiansen :meee waaants Mazda RX-8

try here: http://www.needforspeed.com :P

(Bladey in a cynical mood tonight!)

Honestly though, we all know the licensing restrictions with LFS, and I think that maybe a rotary engined sports car would be too much of a rip, and would invite all sorts of problems for the developers. After all, how many rotary engined sports cars that aren't Mazdas can YOU think of easily?
Quote from Eldanor : I think rotary engines are fuel thirsty.

You are right. besides, they are oil drinkers (mazda rx-8 has 2 oil tanks) . If these engines will be implemented in the future, it would be cool if the devs add an oil level clock, like fuel.

Cheers.
Quote from Bladerunner :
Honestly though, we all know the licensing restrictions with LFS, and I think that maybe a rotary engined sports car would be too much of a rip, and would invite all sorts of problems for the developers. After all, how many rotary engined sports cars that aren't Mazdas can YOU think of easily?

Indeed, Mazda holds exclusive rights to the Wankel pattern engine; trying to put one in LFS could raise a few eyebrows over there. Of course; if the devs are extremely engineering savvy, they could invent their own rotary pattern and use it instead of the wankel!
-
(bo-kristiansen) DELETED by bo-kristiansen
Rotary engines aren't really all that great. I have seen LS1 powered RX7s on the internet, and the LS1 only weighs 200lbs more. So, 200lbs more, but more HP and torque evens it out.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Rotary engines aren't really all that great. I have seen LS1 powered RX7s on the internet, and the LS1 only weighs 200lbs more. So, 200lbs more, but more HP and torque evens it out.

depends on priorities. The great benefit of the wankel is it's packaging - small and reasonably light, can be stuffed in right at the back of the engine bay, better mass distribution = better handling. There is more to building a sportscar than numbers found in a magazine...
Quote from jompe.wankel :can it be posibole to make a wankel engine to s3???

+1, I am all for simulating more types of engine, personally I hope a diesel is simulated in an update too.

Dan,
Quote from MAGGOT :Indeed, Mazda holds exclusive rights to the Wankel pattern engine; trying to put one in LFS could raise a few eyebrows over there. Of course; if the devs are extremely engineering savvy, they could invent their own rotary pattern and use it instead of the wankel!

I think NSU made a wankel car in the 60's or 70's, it was pretty good supposedly but I'm not sure if they hold exclusive rights to it now because several companies build things other than cars with wankel engines (such as Sagem for some reason), they certainly didn't then
Quote from duke_toaster :I think NSU made a wankel car in the 60's or 70's, it was pretty good supposedly but I'm not sure if they hold exclusive rights to it now because several companies build things other than cars with wankel engines (such as Sagem for some reason), they certainly didn't then

some NSU cars.

When I was a kid, my dad used to have a old rusty NSU standing in the
backyard. - I "raced" in it a lot. - I was a racechampion in that car.

WWRROOOOUUMMM WRROOOUUUMMM
Attached images
audi_nsu_RO.jpg
nsu1.jpg
the prinz wasn't driven by a wankel, only ro80 was
Last time rotary Mazda went prototype racing, it was banned after its maiden win/race, on the grounds of "unfair advantage".

Lack of vibration, lack of mass, MASSIVE power to weight ratio, compact dimensions..... no wonder normal piston petrol engines looked like dinosaurs.

+infinity for adding a properly performing rotary engined car in LFS, though with turbo modelling as bad as it currently is, I just wish they get all the current engines right first.
Quote from duke_toaster :I think NSU made a wankel car in the 60's or 70's, it was pretty good supposedly but I'm not sure if they hold exclusive rights to it now because several companies build things other than cars with wankel engines (such as Sagem for some reason), they certainly didn't then

I'm sure Mazda hasn't always had the patent; hell, the guy who invented it (Dr. Felix Wankel IIRC) was Austrian I believe. (Is it Wenkel or Wankel? I can't remember)

Anyways, Mazda now holds the right to the Wankel engine; any modern car with one has a Mazda engine in it; or one out of a very old car. Old Wankels are crap though, they eat up too much gas and burn up too much oil. The newest pattern found in the RX-8, Renesis IIRC, is much much more efficient than the previous patterns, although it still suffers from the same problems (just less so).

Speaking of Mazda holding the rights; do you think we can expect to see a Ford 'performance' car with a Wankel? They are 'in bed' with eachother. (Ford owns roughly 30% of Mazda, don't they?) The new Fusion is essentially a re-bodied 6 series I've been told, so it doesn't seem all that unlikely that we could see a Wankel Ford.

I can see it now, the 2009 Ford Wanker.
I think that Mazda on the rights to Renesis, but not every single sort of wankel.

cough cough MAGGOT

EDIT: Ford own 33% or so of Mazda. Also, Porsche own 25% or so of VWAG. But Porsche suck compared to anything British like a Vauxhaull Monaro or a Lotus
Quote from herki :the prinz wasn't driven by a wankel, only ro80 was

I believe they made a wankel version of the Prinz too.

the NSU TT

?

-EDIT- I googled it.. yes u are right.
I must have been thinking of the NSU Spider then.
Both. But TT isn´t THAT Prinz.

Would be very nice to have a RO80 in LFS.
Improvement Suggestion: Button 1-5 to raise your fingers in the air when you pass another RO80.
Attached images
wankelprinzz.JPG
Quote from Blowtus :The great benefit of the wankel is it's packaging - small and reasonably light, can be stuffed in right at the back of the engine bay, better mass distribution = better handling. There is more to building a sportscar than numbers found in a magazine...

The LS1 isn't all that big you know. I just don't see the point of a rotary engine. The LS1 is only 200lbs more, more power, more torque, better fuel economy, why are rotarys so good? They arent IMO.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The LS1 isn't all that big you know. I just don't see the point of a rotary engine. The LS1 is only 200lbs more, more power, more torque, better fuel economy, why are rotarys so good? They arent IMO.

It's a little something called weight distribution. The compact nature of a rotary allows it to be mounted far back in the engine bay. This frees up space and improves packaging while moving a major mass closer to the middle of the car's wheelbase, reducing moment of inertia and improving steering response while achieving a more ideal weght distribution. Coupled with the fact that it's 200lbs LIGHTER than an LS1 as you've said, the benefits are blindingly obvious. 200lbs, that's like removing a large man off a car.

If you care only about drag strip ETs RWHP, than you're welcome to mount an LS1 to anything that'll fit. If real racetrack handling, balance and lap times matter more than big numbers on a dyno readout and drag ETs, than stick to a turbochared rotary. There's always the larger 3-rotor rotary if the OEM 1.3L 2 rotor starts to reach its limits. Since you can reliably get 300+rwhp out of a well tuned and maintained RX-7 with the OE engine as the basis, an LS1 is pointless if chassis balance is more of a concern than pure straight line speed.

Anyway, +infinity for including an RX-7 like car in S2/S3.
Quote from Jamexing :Anyway, +infinity for including an RX-7 like car in S2/S3.

Erm, we have one. It's called the XRT (aka GTT) and it gets the crap kicked out of it by an Opel Astra (clone). BTW, I'm well aware that it's closer in appearance to a Starion. That doesn't change the fact that the performance figures (power, torque, mass, balance) are all very similar.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The LS1 isn't all that big you know. I just don't see the point of a rotary engine. The LS1 is only 200lbs more, more power, more torque, better fuel economy, why are rotarys so good? They arent IMO.

I wasn't saying they were 'so good' - I was saying they have their upsides. They have their downsides too - they're shitful as a passenger car engine and at best 'marginal' in a sportscar role. For more performance oriented, or more steady load, applications, their characteristics are often pretty decent.
I don't understand how you can talk about a difference in engine weight of 'only 200lbs'. That's really a fairly signifigant mass to have both sitting higher and further forward in the engine bay.
Quote from MAGGOT :Indeed, Mazda holds exclusive rights to the Wankel pattern engine; trying to put one in LFS could raise a few eyebrows over there.

are you sure ? according to wiki the wankel himself patented the concept in 33

rotary engine wankel??
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG