The online racing simulator
Installing Drivers?
(11 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Installing Drivers?
Ok - according to my Dad i need to uninstall my video drivers, install a new graphics card (which is here sitting next to me), and then install the new drivers, and although i believe this, surely isn't it unnecessary if my current and new cards are nVidia?

I would rather not uninstall my current drivers (due to the profiles for each game i have), but if i have to i will - should i?
#2 - Bean0
I would just stick the new card in and go for it.

If the drivers don't work, you'll end up in windows anyway with a crap resolution using the default drivers.

It might be worth backing up your profiles and getting the latest ones if you haven't already.
#3 - Jakg
i have the 92.91 beta's from XTremeG, so their new but how do i back up my profile?

Also, my card's cd comes with a "Bios Flasf [sic!] Utility" - i assume this is for putting new firmware on it, dare i check for updates to it?

EDIT - Their (Gainward - tis a 7950GT "Golden Sample" from Gainward) site doesn't actually have anything on it, so i don't even have the temptation!
#4 - Bean0
The profiles will be saved somewhere, can you spot the location when you go to save a new one ? Else have a hunt in the program files or your my documents folder, or see if google has the answer.

I would see how easy it is to flash the card before attempting it, and how you go about fixing it if it goes wrong. There may be a good performance boost to be had from newer firmware.
#5 - Jakg
well i'll have a look - i would look at the firmware flasher, but the CD refuses to run without a Gainward card, which is currently sitting in my lap with me going "oooh" over it, as its double hight, with a "unique" design!

EDIT - Google doesn't help
Just grab the latest drivers from nvidia, pop in the new card, and install the new drivers. No need to uninstall. Very simple.
Quote from Forbin :Just grab the latest drivers from nvidia, pop in the new card, and install the new drivers. No need to uninstall. Very simple.

I guess this is false information. At least guru3d.com forums suggests that graphics drivers should always be properly uninstalled (from add/remove programs) before replacing them with new ones.
#8 - Jakg
If i uninstall the drivers will it loose all my settings? if not - i'll try the new 92.91's (musta dreamt of installing them!)
I dont think it would loose your settings if you just updated the drivers, that would be silly!

If you uninstall/reinstall it might though, unless they're not removed when you uninstall, but I dont know if they are or not
Unless you use driver cleaner, from memory the profile and all settings stay on your system so when you install new drivers they are still there. Though don't hold me to that.
From Guru3D forums sticky:
Quote :When you change drivers, you should not just overwrite one set with the other. Whilst that works with other types of drivers and it can work sometimes with v/card drivers, it is best to use Add an Remove Progs from the Control Panel to remove previous drivers first. XP professes to remove driver entries from the registry and with all the many driver exchanges I have carried out I have found nothing to the contrary

Sometimes nVidia alters the root files of its drivers and if you overwrite these you will get a conflict and of course problems.

Every man to his own, but I'm not taking the chance to mess my system because of not doing 2 minutes work.

Installing Drivers?
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG