The online racing simulator
How Bad Am I?
(11 posts, started )
How Bad Am I?
First-ever run in the FOX. I know it's rough. I've never actually driven the car before (that I remember) Also--keep in mind the controller I'm using has a dead spot in the middle, which is why I'm constantly jerking left and right--I'm trying to keep the car pointed straight ahead.
Attached files
rebeldevil_BL1_FOX_11778.spr - 106.9 KB - 196 views
#2 - Jakg
Quote from Rebeldevil :First-ever run in the FOX. I know it's rough. I've never actually driven the car before (that I remember) Also--keep in mind the controller I'm using has a dead spot in the middle, which is why I'm constantly jerking left and right--I'm trying to keep the car pointed straight ahead.

Throttle cut on upshift - No - that will help a bit (will flat shift)
change up earlier, when you see the shift up light (the red light), shift up straight away

Cant say much more now, everytime i get to the first corner it locks up!
As Jakqckx said, you should change gears immediatelly after the red light comes up.

As to your controller - what kind of controller is it? A pad? Have you tried mouse and keyboard to control the car? To me it seems that the controller is making the car too hard to drive. Instead of focusing on how the car handles, you are now concentrating on the controller itself.

Also you could check your driving lines. I think you can see that when you're entering into corners, you are not taking the ideal line in and this results in bad corner out acceleration. But I think you could improve a lot with better controller, I'm sure about that

If you're sure that you could do better with the controller you have now, could you post some other replays of your driving (other car maybe?)...?
#4 - Jakg
I hear you using easy race, they havent ben updated for the new (well i say new, i mean the patch with the BF1) physics, and Race_S came by default and isnt to bad, but ill post a setup down here

Try using all of the track (ie go right out to the left at the end of the straight, kiss the apex then go right out wide onto the kerb to keep the maximum speed, ie im pulling 20 Mph more than you through that corner and i suck!)

Flat through the chicane (easy i tell you!)

On the last turn you dont need to brake (not with my setup at least), just take your foot off the throttle and shift down, then as it slows down floor it and pull up the hill!

Be less agressive

Also, try learning the racing line by watching the WR replay here
Attached files
FORMULA XR_BL1_Barlin.set - 132 B - 238 views
The gamepad I'm using is the MS Xbox360 wired controller.

LFS does not support this controller very well at all. Only the two analog sticks are recognized. The L and R analog triggers aren't seen at all by LFS which is kind of a shame. I'd like to have used those for throttle/brake, and maybe used the right stick as a clutch or handbrake.

One thing I can say in my favor--my crappy driving has made me pretty good at skid recovery (just not in THIS car). I'll post a replay of a car I'm a little more comfortable with--the FXR. It's one of the easier to control cars (for me) in the game, and it's very quick. As you can see in LFSW, my best time on BL1 with this car is about 1:15--which I didn't think was bad until I saw the WR times. I don't actually HAVE a replay on hand, so I'll have to run a couple hot laps first.
Quote from Rebeldevil :The gamepad I'm using is the MS Xbox360 wired controller.

LFS does not support this controller very well at all. Only the two analog sticks are recognized. The L and R analog triggers aren't seen at all by LFS which is kind of a shame. I'd like to have used those for throttle/brake, and maybe used the right stick as a clutch or handbrake.

i used one of those until last week, and it recognised the L & R triggers when i used it...maybe you should re-download the drivers from the MS website?

frase
Right, firstly I would say its 'not how bad you are' but more of 'how much practice you have' if you used the car for the first time thne we can't expect a WorldRecord from you, my advice, find some good sets, and use them until you learn where to take corners and where the racing line is.

GL...
Considering it was my first time on that car, I'm surprised I managed to keep it inside the lines...mostly.

And yeah, I tend to drive rather aggressively. I'm on the gas as much as I feel I can get away with, brake as late as possible and usually wind up leaving skidmarks on the track (and in my passengers' shorts--just kidding)

EDIT: As promised, here's a replay on the same track of me in a car I'm considerably more comfortable with. I actually beat my personal best doing this hotlap.
Attached files
rebeldevil_BL1_FXR_11519.spr - 37.7 KB - 222 views
I think this lap is a bit more representative of my ability. I'm more confident with this car (which unfortunately means I'm pushing it even harder in some sections, while not quite hard enough in others).
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I think youre being too harsh on yourself for a few reasons. Firstly, youre using a D pad controller which doenst give you as much controll as a wheel, plus it has a dead spot. Secondly, it is your first time in a FOX! That car is not exactly the easiest to control; throttle control is a real bugger in corners.
Quote from Rebeldevil :The gamepad I'm using is the MS Xbox360 wired controller.

The Logitech Wingman Rumblepad is available on a certain well know auction site new for about £9. Twin analogue sticks, a slide control for throttle if you fancy it, triggers for gear change and enough buttons for handbrake, clutch, horn etc to keep anyone happy.

The FOX is still a sod to drive with it though

How Bad Am I?
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG