The online racing simulator
To lap or being lapped
(34 posts, started )
maybe we need to get Scawen to program some of the rules yellow/blue flags into the lfs lessons so that newbies learn the rules and how to let a car by under blue flags.

So for example:

You would start on track at speed, the ai would be programmed to be very quick and to catch up to you and pass you in maybe an akward place on track and you would have to let them through safely. I know at present the ai is rather dumb but once improved it could work, also maybe implement some kind of a limit to how long or how many times the blue flag is shown before you get a drive through penalty or something like that.

Not sure you need a lesson on yellow flags but i have comea cross people who ignore the yellows totaly and end up taking me out if i have spun and caused the yellows..
Yellows are trickier than blues IMHO. I came round the last corner on Westhill Reversed to find that the guy in front had tangled with someone else. Yellows are displayed but clearly as it a straight I'm going to lose a ton of time if I lift much. The guy behind tucks in behind me and matches my speed. The guy in front looks like he's gathered it together and I pick the normal racing line down the straight to avoid hitting him, but he does not see this and instead of putting on the brakes he rolls into our path. Guy behind doesn't have a chance, he is millimeters from my bumper and is just matching my pace. We collide, now, clearly I didn't lift half as much as I would have done in real life, the real life crash probably would have killed us all But was the accident caused by me and the guy behind me or by the numpty spinner who didn't check the track?

Blue flags are mainly less of an issue as, to have caught the player, you must already be faster than them so you just have to pick your spot carefully and hope that they notice when you do.
Another thought on binding a Thank You key for the fast guys.. as a "learner" I have "Please Pass Me !! " bound to a key.. When I see a fastlapper approaching I will send them the Please pass when it makes sense for a "clean pass"

I must admit I have noticed a lot of people do say thanks or send a
I don't generally thank people for doing what should be done (e.g. taking the wide line to let me past) and I don't expect anyone to thank me if I do the same. If they do something beyond the call of duty, I'm encouraged by their behaviour and say thanks.

When lapping, depending on how critical the situation is, I usually drive behind the car as I would passing a car on the same lap if they don't move over immediately, flash my lights if they are ignoring the blue flag, use the horn if they drive dangerously, weaving, racing against me etc. and not letting me past (if it's serious I lean on the horn when I make the pass but don't say anything in chat). If it's the last lap, or a similarly critical crunch time I may attempt risky pass but never force the driver off the road or into a wall on purpose.

I find when lapping the most dangerous situations occur due to cars slowing down too much, resulting in having to avoid them rather than making a clean premeditated pass. Also people who use indicators to indicate which side to pass. I pass you on the side that loses me the least time, unless you block me. If you use indicators there is no way of telling if you are saying "pass me right" or "pass me left, I'll move right" and is plain hazardous because there is no one right way of interpreting that (on the basis that real racing experience cannot be assumed, and indicator use varies between public-road, racing and even racing series).

When getting lapped I don't slow down when I see the blue flag. I drive normally, or extra cautiously if I'm unsure of the car, take a look at the minimap to see how many cars are going to be making the pass, let them drive right up to the point where I'd be slowing them down and then take a wide line, or on a straight (but only when I know it's absolutely no-risk) slow down a bit so that they definitely manage to pass me before the next section where passing is more risky.

If I join midrace I don't mind pulling off the road entirely, I don't want to slow anyone down, nor do I want anyone to slow me down
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I don't generally thank people for doing what should be done (e.g. taking the wide line to let me past) and I don't expect anyone to thank me if I do the same.

I understand your point here, but I feel that given an environment in which not enough people seem to do the right thing in terms of blue flag behaviour, I want to do as much as I can to encourage someone who does play fair in this respect, so I will say "thanks" every time. (Now I just need to work on lapping people more often.)
Quote from Madman_CZ :...also maybe implement some kind of a limit to how long or how many times the blue flag is shown before you get a drive through penalty or something like that.

I've mentioned many times in these blue flag threads. This doesn't work because you could have a bump and have to pit. Then you leave the pits and are right in front of the leader. You may be just as fast as the leader and drive around for several laps with blue flag showing. He is not catching you, so there is no reason to let him by or get penalized for not doing so. You are only getting the blue flag because you pitted and LFS doesn't know that. Blue flag only means that the guy behind you is ahead of you in position in LFS. It doesn't mean a faster guy is coming behind you in LFS. I would be furious to be penalized because I pitted and reentered the track slightly ahead of a leader who runs similar lap times to me and I had the blue flag for some amount of laps.

The one giving the blue flag has to catch and pass the one recieving. If that car can't catch and pass, then there is no reason for the reciever of the blue flag to let him by. LFS doesn't differenciate a faster car, it only knows track position.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from yegadoyai :Yellows are trickier than blues IMHO. I came round the last corner on Westhill Reversed to find that the guy in front had tangled with someone else. Yellows are displayed but clearly as it a straight I'm going to lose a ton of time if I lift much. The guy behind tucks in behind me and matches my speed. The guy in front looks like he's gathered it together and I pick the normal racing line down the straight to avoid hitting him, but he does not see this and instead of putting on the brakes he rolls into our path. Guy behind doesn't have a chance, he is millimeters from my bumper and is just matching my pace. We collide, now, clearly I didn't lift half as much as I would have done in real life, the real life crash probably would have killed us all But was the accident caused by me and the guy behind me or by the numpty spinner who didn't check the track?

To answer your question I have to say both were the cause. More so the yellow flagger, but the guy on your tail should have also seen the 3rd car and perhaps been more cautious. Its not like you brake checked. You lifted to avoid the 3rd car and the guy behind you didn't react (or plan) accordingly.

So back to the guy(s) involved in the yellow flag: Sounds like the track was clear so he decided to get back on, but then you 2 came up on him quickly. Being the car that was just involved in the incident he should still be getting out of the way of any cars that were not involved or affected by the incident. He clearly still was affected as he was not up to normal speed by the time you reached him so he is at fault. He needs to check his mirrors.
Quote from yegadoyai :Yellows are trickier than blues IMHO. I came round the last corner on Westhill Reversed to find that the guy in front had tangled with someone else. Yellows are displayed but clearly as it a straight I'm going to lose a ton of time if I lift much. The guy behind tucks in behind me and matches my speed. The guy in front looks like he's gathered it together and I pick the normal racing line down the straight to avoid hitting him, but he does not see this and instead of putting on the brakes he rolls into our path. Guy behind doesn't have a chance, he is millimeters from my bumper and is just matching my pace. We collide, now, clearly I didn't lift half as much as I would have done in real life, the real life crash probably would have killed us all But was the accident caused by me and the guy behind me or by the numpty spinner who didn't check the track?

Blue flags are mainly less of an issue as, to have caught the player, you must already be faster than them so you just have to pick your spot carefully and hope that they notice when you do.

I disagree with WRX on this point. IMHO You have control over only yourself. Given that it is your responcibility to not hit the cars infront of you and to react accordingly to the unfolding events in front of you. You chose a safe line and slowed, when the car in front pulled on to your line you backed off even more to avoid him as you should. The guy following you failed to avoid you necause he did not leave himself enough room to react to the changing situation. The guy infront of you avoided the incident, you slowed to avoid him and the guy behind you caused the second wreck.

Its the same story at T1 all the time as well and is just a lack of respect and patience.
Quote :
Oh, and: Bind "Thanks" to a button. While the idiots often spam "BLUE FLAG!!!1 MOOOOOVEE NOOOB!" at slower cars, they rarely get a thank-you for moving over, so I always thank drivers who let me pass safely

I calll mine's F2 giving respect to other drivers works
I get payed back many times most nights.

John

To lap or being lapped
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG