The online racing simulator
S2 Muffler Sounds + IngameVideo
(42 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse :it still sounds very "tubular" not tubular as in vanilla ice for amazing.. but rather, it sounds like its going straight out the pipe, and has a very pipe like sound to it, still not very exhaust like imo

(maybe this will help explaining a little more; it sounds like the exhaust pipe ["tube"] is straight, and about a mile long is how it sounds)

yeah, it sounds like u put mic directly near the pipe and record

very metallic and cave-like. so now that could be used as the basic for muffler, so the rest would be rendering the environment and so on...

lets see...
Quote from Blackout :We really need the sound improvment, something must be done before S2 hits the final. Just today I realised how much some people can be put off with the LFS sounds illepall For me it's not a problem, because I have lived with it already 2½ years so I've got used to it. But new people go like "eeeeew wtf amateurs!" Then I feel like an idiot telling them that "no, really it's a great sim, trust me." It should be made very high priority, and I hope (very optimistic) that the delay in test patches, and not having the V out yeat, would be because sound improvments. If you guys can do it why couldn't Lord Scawen. Im sorry to post this, most likely the wrong thread but it's also so obvious that everyone else must have realised it already...can't believe it took me so long...sorry had to get my stupidy out of my chest.

I think I recently realised this same thing.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=216148#post216148
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=215984#post215984
Totally agree with how important sound is, even if you don't think much about it after have driven in lfs for some time, i't would enhance the experience so much with more realistic sound

Could you please tell me how you get that bumper cam??
Quote from jarre : Could you please tell me how you get that bumper cam??

It's a custom camera you can easilly setup by rotating and changing the X,Y,Z coordinates in the game. Just goto the "Wheels" view, then goto Options, View, and choose EXT and yah.... fool around from there, because I don't want to list tons of steps
cool
Thanks man
Quote from xaotik :
Quote from Gimpster :How diffacult woudl it be to to read engine RPM and Throtle position to generate a sound like the one in the video and then feed it back inplace of the original to the sound system?

Outgauge wouldn't provide the resolution required sadly, there would be lag. The best method, imho, is the audio equivelant of what Kegetys did with the ghostcar app. Hijack directX and find a way to divert the engine's audio layer through an external app which would apply the effects, render and return to output. IIRC, directx provides classes for rudimentary reverb and lp effects, which can be hardware accelerated as well.

Have you looked in the "LFS carsound expansion" thread in the movie section?
There is already a programm, which adds additional engine sounds based on outsim data to BF1,FZR and XRT.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=213320#post213320

e: working download link is on the last page
Quote from GeForz :Have you looked in the "LFS carsound expansion" thread in the movie section?
There is already a programm, which adds additional engine sounds based on outsim data to BF1,FZR and XRT.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=213320#post213320

e: working download link is on the last page

Yessir, I have. However that doesn't do what we're talking about here, it just layers samples modulated based on Outgauge readings - and does a fairly decent job of doing just that (infact if you only add drivetrain sounds with it it sounds rather nice but the engine sound lags [no way of getting around that, outgauge packets will lag and they don't provide enough information to actually simulate the stress the engine is under]).
The default sound engine lags too, about 0.1 second.
Quote from hrtburnout :The default sound engine lags too, about 0.1 second.

100msec is alot of lag, I must say I haven't noticed it on my end - I suspect that differs from audiocard to audiocard...

But let's put it this way:
If we want to just modify the way the current engine sound is filtered (as Moonforce proposes the dev(s) does/do) we cannot do it with Outgauge and samples.
Quote from xaotik :If we want to just modify the way the current engine sound is filtered (as Moonforce proposes the dev(s) does/do) we cannot do it with Outgauge and samples.

you do realize that any filtering causes additive delay ?
Quote from Shotglass :you do realize that any filtering causes additive delay ?

Properly done it shouldn't be noticeable - it's basically taking the same data the sound engine uses. In theory it would involve the same overhead as doing it natively in the LFS sound engine would and induce the same latency if the same or similar methods are employed.

However, the point here was "how to do what Moonforce has done with in real-time" and I offered my opinion on how it could be done.

As all this is just theory and we could beat around the bush debating the finest points over and over about something that doesn't even exist I'll take my leave of the subject for now.
imho properly doen it will be and also should be noticeable
if you step on the gas pedal you should first hear the intake then the engine and the exhaust noise last
and imho that the way it should be done ... additional intake noise which is directly correlated to the current thottle position and the current revs ... the engine noise we allready have which foes directly with the revs (maybe beefed up a little) and then feed all of that through a multistage lowpass with a realistic group delay to emulate the muffler
hey moonforce..would u mind telling me the name of the sound software thta is in that screenie??...thnx..i looove how it sounds
Quote from carmaniac1993 :hey moonforce..would u mind telling me the name of the sound software thta is in that screenie??...thnx..i looove how it sounds

* steinberg wavelab
* GRM Tools VST wich u can test or buy here http://www.grmtools.org/
for personal test i also used external mixer and hardware eq in my rack, sounds even better, but i think the devs can do other or easier way...
anyway the gsm tools are very good and worth their money (personal thinking no commercial lol)

at all the devs wont comment whole topic i guess and we will see if there is a soundimprove next big patch or not... we anyway cant force sumthin... lets see
where do i go after i go to the link??
the sound in lfs progressed in w, but i will anyway do new ones with the sounds from patch w/x and try to do better ones till any new sound patch is available...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG