The online racing simulator
i played the demo for 2 months.. and from the very first second i started driving, my thought was... WOW, i must buy this !!!

but, as i was, many others are affraid of buying it, why ??

because the inevitable question that everyone asks... Will there be enough servers for me to play online ? will it be as fun as the demo ?? how hard is to drive the other cars, if i can barely drive the turbo with keyb+mouse ?? can i drive without a wheel ?

i can tell from my own experience.. i was frustrated when i bought it. why ?
it is too damn hard to drive a RWD car with keyb. and mouse... so i just stopped playing... got frustrated because i bought a U$45 game that i can't play. !!

it took me over three months to find and Buy a Logitech MOMO here in Brazil, and i paid over U$150 on it...

i can tell for my country where piracy reigns, and on every corner you can buy almost all games/softwares titles for as low as U$2 /piece, having to spend over U$200 for one game, isn`t very attractive...

the way i see it, LFS, rfactor, GTR, GTR2, GT Legends, all simulation games, they all suffer from the same problem.. will only be bought if someone really likes it and have $$...

thats the way it is, all we can (and i do) is show all my friends how fun it is, and encourage them to buy it.

BTW, Just remembered what VALVE did to promote the Red Orchestra MOD, it also costs U$25, they let steam users download and play it for free for whole weekend... after that, it locks up again, no purchase, no game...

that could be done in LFS.... with serious marketing over it, it can also be a disaster, a whole bunch of noobs racing and crashing. hauehuehuahae LOL

Keyboard? Use mouse, in my experience - easier

And yes, in places like Soutch America and eastern Europe the price IS high, but giving you a lower price while i must pay... double is unfair, and thus the "cheap" games are either old or pirated
Quote from Jakg :Keyboard? Use mouse, in my experience - easier

And yes, in places like Soutch America and eastern Europe the price IS high, but giving you a lower price while i must pay... double is unfair, and thus the "cheap" games are either old or pirated

im not saying it should be cheaper...

everyone must pay the same price, what makes it dificult is need to have a wheel to enjoy 100% of the game !!

just like with FlightSim, i just bought a U$200 Yoke.... not everyone can afford to spend over U$400 on PC gadgets !!, wheel, yoke, etc...

thats why this game will never be a "game to the masses" because of the game style...

and i like it better this way...
besides, some people can't get S2 no matter what (no access to money)
Quote from The Architect :besides, some people can't get S2 no matter what (no access to money)

Who exactly? Banker's draft, money order, PayPal ... more methods of payment than decent players that the Pats should have resigned or franchise tagged
Quote from duke_toaster :Who exactly? Banker's draft, money order, PayPal ... more methods of payment than decent players that the Pats should have resigned or franchise tagged

i think he ment "i dont have any money" as in im poor

Not that that washes with me seeing as you have the net and a pc, but still!
well if it was limited then yo would either buy it or stop playing it, which is no bad thing
We're going to keep going around this loop ad-infinitum, aren't we?

@sebaa: Firstly, nobody but the Devs will ever decide what is and is not in the Demo, nor will anybody but the Devs decide if it should expire after a fixed time period.

Secondly, LFS is written - as far as I can tell - in such a way that the Demo version of LFS is not a burden on the S2 community in any way. The interaction between Demo and the Master Server is nominal, and because the race statistics, skins, PBs and other features are not available to the Demo version, mean that the Demo is very lean indeed.

Lastly, while I know that some S2 users begrudge Demo users the access they have to a free, playable, and exceptionally GOOD race simulator, the majority of S2 users don't give it a second thought. There's no reason for them to do so, after all.

What you see is enthusiasm for LFS, and a desire for ALL Demo users to join us on S2. They get frustrated when Demo users don't buy LFS and that's understandable, because they know what Demo users are missing out on.. and they ARE missing out on A LOT!

Sometimes it's easy to forget that it's better to inspire than coerce.
Somthing has to change w/demo. I was a little disapointed after buying S2, opened up multiplayer and there was 12 people in S2 and 63 in demo. What about more cars with demo and limit races to 1 or 2 laps, or time limit on track then back to pits. Might give people a taste of speed and spark there interest.

Jon

P.S. If tapped, a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick could power the country of Australia for 44 minutes.
I've never seen S2 run as low as 12 people, ever, and I've gone looking for a race at the most insane hours of the day.
Quote from cs_drag :I say the demo is good the way it is now no changes needed

With all due respect, you're saying that as a person who has tried LFS and not bought it.. so, if you don't mind me saying, you're your own paradox.
Quote :No posting on the "Improvement suggestions" section in the forum

That should really be done
Quote from lalathegreat :In order to get more people to buy the game, it will have to cater to different people IE Drifting,Rallyx,different types of cars,tracks,astestics. just because you don't see the merit in a certain addition, dosent mean 100 people who don't have the game won't.

That's something I've been trying to explain to the all licensed S2 guys for quite a while. I know some would love to pick on me for this, but the truth is, rallying is absolutely non-existant in LFS ATM.

If LFS was already selling like hotcakes as it is (i.e. outselling NFS and a host of other arcade jokes), that's sort of passable, but to have some major legitimate areas of motorsport completely neglected is just terribly frustrating to say the least. Even the most rallycar like vehicle in LFS (RB4) doesn't quite have the performance characteristics required of a rallycar. It's powerband is a joke to say the least. Not to mention the lack of ANY proper rallycross or SS (special stage) circuits. Not even ONE proper gravel track! What a waste of a great physics engine. ATM, LFS seems to cater for hardcore circuit guys only. The so called "rallycross" tracks are (a)too tarmac biased (b)almost totally unused (because they're not terribly good anyway).

Motorsports does NOT thrive on tarmac circuit racing alone. Same for LFS. As the forum title says, we are trying to ENCOURAGE, not bash or coerce the demo racers into buying the license. TBH, as a licensed player, I'm happy with all the well made tarmac only circuits, but anythin off tarmac leaves a lot to be desired. And some cars could be made better. I bought the license due to its fundamentally strong physics, but many deserving demo racers could be better encouraged. Imagine if we have just ONE great rally circuit with the proper physics. The imagine how many hardcore (aka game must simulate rallying as good as feasably possible) rally fans we can attract (could be THOUSANDS).
Quote :No posting on the "Improvement suggestions" section in the forum

If someone has tried LFS and decided not to buy it, because it falls short in some aspect, don't you think Scavier might be interested to know what that aspect is?
"No posting on the "Improvement suggestions" section in the forum "

That, ladies and gentleman, is the sort of attitude that will cost us all too many good racers, not to mention license sales.
I don't think it's as clear-cut as that.

On the one hand any improvement suggestion that would result in increased licence sales is a positive for LFS, but on the other hand, (almost!?) every S2 licenced member was a Demo user before they became S2 licenced. It's not like we don't know what it is that causes Demo users to become S2 users. We've been there.. we're not in any way a separate breed.. we're just the ones that actually DID the deed, and crossed over, rather than spent 2 years learning the demo cars before committing, or perpetually waiting for payday.

I am not suggesting that Demo users' opinions don't count. They do. But in all seriousness, if you feel strongly enough about LFS that you have spent the time to come up with an improvement suggestion with genuine merit, why aren't you licenced?

As more time passes, my opinion on this becomes polarized. It's still my opinion, though.
I agree with Sam, I spent two days on demo and had to see the rest. I paid my hard earned cash and haven't looked back. How can you honestly give improvment feedback if you haven't tasted everything on the plate. And still being a demo racer wheres the commitment to the sim anyway. Like Sam thats just my opinion, but I paid to express it.
Quote from SamH :I am not suggesting that Demo users' opinions don't count. They do.

But as to licensed users, should their opinions count? After all, they are already hooked, they've paid for S2 and will likely pay for S3 as well. The devs don't need to bother about their wishes...
(Hum. There must be a flaw in the reasoning. But where? )

Quote :But in all seriousness, if you feel strongly enough about LFS that you have spent the time to come up with an improvement suggestion with genuine merit, why aren't you licenced?

Because I am waiting for payday (or rather, birthday).
Because I like LFS but think it isn't worth the money as long as a certain feature is missing.
Because I want to show off my creativity and genius (just kidding).
Because I will never buy LFS, but I like LFS and the community and would like to be of help.
Because my daytime job is boring and I have too much time on my hands.
Take yer pick.
Quote from wsinda :But as to licensed users, should their opinions count? After all, they are already hooked, they've paid for S2 and will likely pay for S3 as well. The devs don't need to bother about their wishes...
(Hum. There must be a flaw in the reasoning. But where? )

Indeed! I think you'll find the flaw in that reasoning over here
Quote from wsinda :Because I am waiting for payday (or rather, birthday).
Because I like LFS but think it isn't worth the money as long as a certain feature is missing.
Because I want to show off my creativity and genius (just kidding).
Because I will never buy LFS, but I like LFS and the community and would like to be of help.
Because my daytime job is boring and I have too much time on my hands.
Take yer pick.

All of those are good enough reasons to not buy LFS at any given moment. Nobody wants anyone to spend money on something they don't want to. Okay then, VERY FEW people. I convinced a friend of mine to buy LFS, despite HIS better judgement.. and I've felt guilty about it ever since. It's not that he doesn't like LFS, it's that he doesn't have the time to play it - he works away a lot, and can't commit the time required in order to get the full benefit of his S2 licence. He bought it for all the wrong reasons - MY reasons, not his.

I'm not blind to the fact that LFS isn't for everyone.. but the primary method of supporting LFS is the method that benefits future development by helping to sponsor it. If you play LFS a lot, that's the natural order of progression
Quote from Jakg :i think he ment "i dont have any money" as in im poor

Not that that washes with me seeing as you have the net and a pc, but still!

What I meant was that I don't have access to PayPal, Bank Accounts (my mom wouldn't even let me in my own!) or money order. But I have made a deal with my mom so that I can get it for my birthday, so I have hope.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :
By turn one on my first lap in the demo I was laughing out loud because it felt so nice, and already thinking about buying it, and I did buy S1 the same night. I'd actually gone looking for a game just like LFS, thinking that it didn't exist, so when I found it I was hooked straight away.

God that brings back memories. I still remember the day I downloded the 0.1 version of the simulation at work on to my relitivly slow laptop. The first unsteady slide in to the hairpin at BLackwood in the XF GTi felt so close to the way ever little FWD car I have ever owned handeled I was instantly hooked and have been a LFS fanatic as my friends put it ever since. Very few, ok only one other sim, has felt as good or better since that time, but it has its own shortcomings.

The only thing that has tempored my fanaticsm of LFS has been nKPro and getting an R-spec miata. Now the shortcomings of LFS are starting to appear as I have a more performance oriented car in reality and have driven another sim that is also close to reality, though excells in different areas then LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG