The online racing simulator
Sim Touring Car Cup Round 1
(161 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
Quote from KeMoT :Nice content but video is crappy because of its low quality.
I know it would be of huge size if you made a higher quality but... well my opinion - great content.

450 Mb version is looking for a host, and Tristan has one spare, and there is a "DVD quality version" waiting for release
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#27 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :Is that the berk who had it won and then stuffed it on the final corner?

You should do an Alonso and bitch about the unnecessary safety car.

yeap

BLAME LOGITECH FOR MAKING WHEELS THAT RE-CALIBRATE AUTOMAGICALLY!!!!!

the safety car did annoy me a bit, but it gave my tyres some air (they needed it!), although i keept ramming it because it was in 6th and needed full throttle to stop people ramming me every now and again!

I was really quick because i spent all my time hotlapping

I realised this was a disadvantage when my tyres started to overheat on about the 5th lap!
Excellent footage Becky! Tristan's commentary is awesome, and the video edit is quite perfect!

If only we had a highres version..
@all, who have got/will get the high-res version: maybe you want to share it via bittorrent ? So "normal" people could get it too, even without using a servers bandwidth...

edit: Maybe I should have said, how great I found that video... So... A really great video, nice cameras, good commentory, only the connection problem sounded a bit funny, because the rest of the race comments were quite realistic
#30 - Jakg
Quote from herki :@all, who have got/will get the high-res version: maybe you want to share it via bittorrent ? So "normal" people could get it too, even without using a servers bandwidth...

edit: Maybe I should have said, how great I found that video... So... A really great video, nice cameras, good commentory, only the connection problem sounded a bit funny, because the rest of the race comments were quite realistic

afaik drivers will def get it, and tristan has a rediculous amount of bandwidth on offer
Quote :only the connection problem sounded a bit funny, because the rest of the race comments were quite realistic

Yes but... I thought it would be pretentious for the series to claim to be real, because it isn't. I'm pretentious about it being the premier "sim touring" car league mind, but I thought pretending it wasn't a sim would be going too far.

In regards the 450mb version i'll be uploading it tomorrow night after work, I just havn't had time tonight as i've not long got home and it will just take too long to upload before bed (I dont leave my PC on when i'm away/asleep). I dont mind non-drivers getting hold of it, but I havn't asked Tristan to host it for general use and I dont know if he even has that much bandwidth available as whilst I know he has a lot available (as do I) the thing is the figures involved actually get quite ludicrous very quickly, so it would be his call.
The simple thing would to try and get as many mirrors everywhere as possible. Perhaps (and it's a very big perhaps, and might require a bit of grovelling) Victor might host it for you. And I'm sure one or two boys here have a few megabytes (x 10^1000) going spare.

I will make it available on my site, which Becky will upload and post the URL, but if the numbers look silly I'll have to remove it until the following month. Can't say fairer than that can I?

fairer than that <- there, I just did!
OK, it's worth a try - provided your host doesn't just accept the extra bandwidth and then send a bill .

I'll update the links in the first post when I do, and i'm appointing deggis our chief File Planet uploader ! (or whichever service it was - it's too late in the day now for me to want to read back ).
#34 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :OK, it's worth a try - provided your host doesn't just accept the extra bandwidth and then send a bill .

I'll update the links in the first post when I do, and i'm appointing deggis our chief File Planet uploader ! (or whichever service it was - it's too late in the day now for me to want to read back ).

damn, i really should be off to bed now, oh well, hopefully the links will be ready for the morning so i can download it when i'm at School!
Damn good movie!
Grats!!!
Sorry Jak it'll be the evening because it's going to take so long to upload I wont be able to do it until I get home.

I've burnt a copy to CD so i'll try from work if i'm able too, but it'll suck up the bandwidth on the router and guess who the boss asks to fix "the internets gone down, BEEEEEEEEEEEEECKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!" ...
#37 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :Sorry Jak it'll be the evening because it's going to take so long to upload I wont be able to do it until I get home.

I've burnt a copy to CD so i'll try from work if i'm able too, but it'll suck up the bandwidth on the router and guess who the boss asks to fix "the internets gone down, BEEEEEEEEEEEEECKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!" ...

i geuss ill have to wait then Love the work youve done though!
first impression: boy tristan has one hell of a female voice
second impression: oh wait its becky

anyway lovely video
i think i should have participated just for the fun involved in an englishman trying to pronounce my last name

two suggestions:
- use custom cameras for in car views so the cam moves with the car
- dont ever encode with wmv
#39 - SamH
Absolutely brilliant coverage. Congrats to Tristan for that really good commentary all the way through. Well done to Becky for exceptional footage!

I can't wait for the next race, now!
Quote :first impression: boy tristan has one hell of a female voice
second impression: oh wait its becky

lol, although I thought I sound more like a husky version of Julian Clarey...
fantastic work.
i'm willing to join as soon i get a decent internet connection.

can't wait for the next round movie.
Well done guys and Gal! . . .

Great watch. Makes me so wish I was racing with 'em.

Thoroughly well presented and well implemented. Can't wait for the next one.

You should get some adverts in there for the 'break' you had. You know, get some shit hot vid makers we got around here to crank out some LFS adverts and the like. Spoof or otherwise. Think of the future Becks, I am sure other people (None LFSers) will watch this and selling LFS through it can't be bad. And the more popular your enterprise becomes you might even get sponsers and the like . . . Wow, I can see it now. Becky and Tristan international racing commentators, big name sponsers advertising during the add break. Virtual Race drivers being profiled. Keep up the good work!!

A thing I noted from an earlier comment about the lad loosing his connection, I don't think you should shy away from the fact that this is computer based. And I think that as commentators you can be quite a bit more technical (When your more confident . . lol) and talk about the car setups and what wheels people are using, sad stuff like that . . . .

But hey, it's your projuect. Jolly good work. Top marks.
Sponsorship might actually become a necessity, as of last night Banshee Studios lost it's sponsor so we wont even be able to host the 100mb file (it results in 1gb/hr bandwidth so far and hasnt been fully publicised yet, and thats with it also on you tube to take some bandwidth away). I am currently talking to a few people and you never know we might be lucky and be able to host the 420mb version for all, so we'll see what happens in the next week or so.
wow, that was great fun with some really good commentary Becky & Tristan.
very nicely done and enjoyable to watch. Makes me want to boot up LFS, jump into the FXO and do some laps around sprint1 which btw is one of my favourite tracks.

11/10
I'm not sure what i've said in what thread on what forum, so i'll post here the details in full.

It turns out that Google does accept wmv, i'd probably had a fake-blonde moment and missunderstood, so I will upload the half gig stream to Google tonight. As I understand it Google video recodes the movie file so quality might still be an issue, I will check this.

In the perfect world we'd host the full quality movie ourselves as it not only gives you good downloads, no codes to type in or waiting for downloads and full quality, but it keeps us in control of the media.

To achieve this I am currently making contact with a number of organisations in an attempt to achieve sponsorship for the series.
Quote from Becky Rose :lol, although I thought I sound more like a husky version of Julian Clarey...

probably because i did expect tristan do do the job all on his own
I thought I was going to do it all on my own, as Smax was a bit too busy to make it this time. But Becky put her own voice in either where there were pauses, waffley bits, or (e.g. after a crash into T2) correcting me.

Once or twice it was obvious we didn't do the commentary together, but overall I think it worked. As it's the first time I've done this sort of thing, and as I don't really know [most of] the drivers, there is a still a lot of room for improvement.

I've decided I say 'errrr' and 'so' too much, so I shall be removing both from my vocabulary.
-
That wasn't a correction Tristan, it was a gap whilst you where looking stuff up or something . The only blatant error you made was crossing Galaske and Hepp when you described their cars - but I left it in so you've got your first Murrayism ! lol.

I dont think the level of 'err' was too much, although 'there' is a candidate! lol.

Talking to camera is very hard in that respect though, I have made a few films for my auntie where she is a sculptor and she's explaining what she is doing and goes errr, errrr, errr, um, errr, errr, err for about 5 minutes because she's concentrating on what she's sculpting. Commentary is worse because you can't break your consentration from what you are saying, meanwhile you are forced to concentrate on several other things as well as needing to have total recall on events previously and keep track of the general race around you.

I dont envy the commentators job. That's why I advertised and found you lol
@ Kev : Yes, Smax (Mike) and I were going to do it via teamspeak or MSN or something, so we can hear each other, whilst recording a high quality file locally. These two higher quality files can then be merged together into one natural sounding whole. But when Mike couldn't make it, I said I'd do it on my own. Then Becky offered, and it was decided (after I'd done my bit) that she should add something. Hopefully it won't happen again

Yeah, I noticed watching it last night I got Hepp and Galaske a bit muddled up - I just hoped I got away with it 'There', 'further back', and probably a few others stuck me as noticable, but as you say I'll get better with practice and familiarity.

I just wonder how good commentators manage so well on the opening round of a new championship - lots of research I guess, and an assistant in the commentary box.

At least I didn't do a James Allen! Would anyone like me to do a James Allen version of one the rounds (in addition to the proper version)? It'd be utterly crap, but that's more the fault of Mr Allen than me.
-
James Allen is in a difficult position because he's following Murray Walker. he's trying to inject the same energy and enthusiasm into it that Murray did, but we loved Murray because he was passionate, knowledgeable, and a doddery old git who got it wrong, James just annoys the hell out of us, but actually without somebody there getting excited racing can be a bit dull.
-

Sim Touring Car Cup Round 1
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG