The online racing simulator
LFS in Windowed Mode
(12 posts, started )
LFS in Windowed Mode
Right, as much as i didnt want to create a thread for this i am forced to by LFS. Recently my LFS has been doing od things while in windowed mode. Usually i put LFS into windowed mode when i am in the garage and i am using Bobs Gear Ratio calculator or other usefull information like the advanced setup guide that aids me in setting up my car but when i go from for example LFS to Bobs Gear calculator and then back to LFS the game seems very very slow and jerky. Usually movement between menus is quick in full screen, car rotating in the garage is smooth but when i have my lfs in a window and i go back into LFS (not full screen) the game is very very slow, its as if it is running at 2fps. I try and drop my car in the garage to test the springs and dampers but its all just lagging and jerking up.

Now i know LFS use to do this before but a simple click onto the lfs window did the trick to fix it and the game ran smooth as it would in full screen. Now i cannot say for sure what might have started to cause this. I have changed my graphics drivers but quite a long time ago and i am sure it worked fine with them before. I have recently uninstalled Norton Internet security and installed Nod32 and Zone Alarm but i cannot see how these would have any relevance towards the cause of this problem. I have downloaded and installed the U test patches but i am not sure whether this is causing it and no other people have reported anything wrong.

So i ask has anyone got any ideas as to why i can no longer run or play lfs in windowed mode? Maybe i have missed something somewhere?

btw i have the Ati Radeon 9800pro

thanks in advance for any info on this enoying and irritating problem..

mad
Quote from Madman_CZ :Right, as much as i didnt want to create a thread for this i am forced to by LFS. Recently my LFS has been doing od things while in windowed mode. Usually i put LFS into windowed mode when i am in the garage and i am using Bobs Gear Ratio calculator or other usefull information like the advanced setup guide that aids me in setting up my car but when i go from for example LFS to Bobs Gear calculator and then back to LFS the game seems very very slow and jerky. Usually movement between menus is quick in full screen, car rotating in the garage is smooth but when i have my lfs in a window and i go back into LFS (not full screen) the game is very very slow, its as if it is running at 2fps. I try and drop my car in the garage to test the springs and dampers but its all just lagging and jerking up.

Now i know LFS use to do this before but a simple click onto the lfs window did the trick to fix it and the game ran smooth as it would in full screen. Now i cannot say for sure what might have started to cause this. I have changed my graphics drivers but quite a long time ago and i am sure it worked fine with them before. I have recently uninstalled Norton Internet security and installed Nod32 and Zone Alarm but i cannot see how these would have any relevance towards the cause of this problem. I have downloaded and installed the U test patches but i am not sure whether this is causing it and no other people have reported anything wrong.

So i ask has anyone got any ideas as to why i can no longer run or play lfs in windowed mode? Maybe i have missed something somewhere?

btw i have the Ati Radeon 9800pro

thanks in advance for any info on this enoying and irritating problem..

mad

I often use windowed mode and I think I may have occasionaly had a similar problem when using ALT_TAB to switch. Usually it's fine though which leads me to believe that maybe it is an OS/other software related problem and not an LFS bug.
I dont know what it is, it use to be fine, a simple click back into the LFS window did the trick and it was smooth but ever since i think u19 u20 test patches it started to be awfully slow. Its a pain in the but when trying to edit gear values, suspension etc...

I cannot say for sure it started with the instalation of the u patches though as i have recently installed a few programs on my computer which might have effected it.

I'll download the original LFS U version and see if it still happens..
Maybe try pressing SHIFT-F4 two times? Shortly back to full screen and then to windowed mode again.
Well, for me LFS did this when I was using FlashGet while in windowed mode (in the options of flasget the displaying of that small status box was checked so it slowed LFS down). Also check your systems resources (ctrl+alt+del) , maybe something is eating up the CPU when in window
Quote from Madman_CZ :I dont know what it is, it use to be fine, a simple click back into the LFS window did the trick and it was smooth but ever since i think u19 u20 test patches it started to be awfully slow. Its a pain in the but when trying to edit gear values, suspension etc...

I cannot say for sure it started with the instalation of the u patches though as i have recently installed a few programs on my computer which might have effected it.

I'll download the original LFS U version and see if it still happens..

Maybe its a bug only in the test patches. I'm still running the last proper release.
Ok i have now checked the original 0.5u version and same thing occurs. So something that i have installed/changed over the last few days must have caused it... though i have no idea what!

argh! :arge:
#8 - P1lot
Sounds similar to how mine behaves.
I have 2 screens, LFS maximized but not full screen, and the other screen has stuff life LFS World and MSN. If my mouse moves over a contact while on its way to select LFS screen I get the slow down (ATI X800pro). I assumed it's because if I hover over a contact it displays some brief information, and I think this can cause the slowdown. Similarly any application on screen 1 infront of LFS causes slowdown.
Had some bad crashes in LFS when the girlfriend switched her computer off; the system area would flash 'network drive disconnected' for a few seconds, but I was down to a slideshow during this

Just had to learn to avoid causing any applications or messages to get infront of LFS on screen 1 when it had the focus.
#9 - Jakg
Skype is one off the worst for this, from 90 FPS to 2.3, and of course becuase your LFSing the pop-up comes up soooooo slowly!
If I have FSAA on and then I shift+F4 it is very jerky, all the time. When I go back to full screen it's smooth again. But without FSAA it's smooth in windowed mode too. Dunno if this is related to your problem at all though.
aha... gosh i feel a bit dumb now. It had something to do with the overlaying. I have just tried turning off all applications running in my taskbar and whola lfs is smooth in windowed mode. One of the applications was yahoo widgets and i had the weather report and email displayed on my desktop. When lfs was overlaying those it was very sluggish but if i resized and moved lfs so it wasnt over the widgets it was fine. I now turn them off though when i play lfs as they are just another load on my system. What is quite odd is that lfs works fine when its overlaying internet explorer, bobs gear ratio calculator for example and it runs smooth windowed. But anything like msn, yahoo widgets causes lfs to run at 2fps....

well problem sorted.. quite a simple fix

cheers P1lot, Jakg,

mad
#12 - Jakg

LFS in Windowed Mode
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG