The online racing simulator
Question about parallel steering/Ackerman
OK,

I know what it does and I know why one *would* use it, however I read in Bob's set up guide that most if not all racing cars in reality do not use parallel steering or Ackerman effect so.....

If this be the case is it appropriate to have it included in something that is attempting as closely as possible to be a racing simulator?

Do you use it?

Are there any cars in LFS that it would more appropriate to use it on than others?

MF
It is already included in LFS. Most race cars use some setting between full ackerman and full parallel. LFS allow you to set the steering at any point between the two settings.
I have read that lots of race cars don't bother with the extra complexity/weight, but rather just use a little toe out. Specifically cars that don't go round particularly tight corners. It is essential in autocrossing though.

However in LFS there are no such technical drawbacks so no reason not to use it. Some people don't like to, which is fine, but I find it helps turn in (as it should). In theory there is a perfect amount for any car, which (I think) depends soley on the track/wheelbase ratio.
Thanks Bob,

It's just the realism freak in me coming out I suppose, blame it on my GPL roots in sim racing. I like things to be as close to RL as I can make them, to the point of getting as much info about the actual set ups used in the seasons covered by GPL+Mods and using them while only tweaking the things that they actually would have changed in RL back then.

I'm looking forward to your updated race set ups for patch U, any ETA on those for us?

Thanks

MF
I've quit my job now (back to Uni you see) so free time is no in abundance. All I need is a little motivation.
Quote from Bob Smith :I've quit my job now (back to Uni you see) so free time is no in abundance. All I need is a little motivation.

Motivation hrm? Anything we can do to help?

I found your guide about setups very informative, and I've used that as a basis for all of my three cars I can tweak and configure... Can't wait until I get the rest, but for now I've still got plenty of speed to squeeze out of my cars. I even use your easy-going setups as a base, dispite the fact that you claim their not as good as they should be because of the physics updates.
FWD cars aside, the rest do understeer far more than I intended when used with the new physics. The WIP easy race sets for patch U should be balanced nicely again. There aren't huge changes, but that's the beauty of LFS, one click here and there can make a world of difference.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG