The online racing simulator
New in the world lfs
(16 posts, started )
New in the world lfs
Hello, I'm new to the topic of live for speed, although I already tried it at a friends house right away, I've always been more focused on consoles.
I have a series of doubts, I want to buy the S1 license to try the game better, which in my country Spain costs 12 pounds since I don't have a very powerful device and I don't have a proper steering wheel (logitech driving force ex) if I would like to change to license S2 or S3, you would have to pay again the amount that each license is worth or a payment is made with the difference between the license you have and the higher one

For example, the S1 costs 12 pounds, if I want to upgrade to S2, which is priced at 24 pounds for my country, I suppose I would pay an additional 12 pounds to get the S2 and if I want the S3 I need to pay the price difference between S1 and S3 (36-12=24 pounds), do you recommend the S3 version for the issue of mods since I think mods can only be used in S3? Thank you very much for your attention and answers.
Most of the online racing currently uses S3 content, so most of the active community would recommend an S3 license to new players.

You are correct however in assuming that if you start with S1, you only have to pay an extra £12 for S2 and then another £12 for S3, £36 in total.
You are correct that mods are for S3 users only. In addition, Rockingham (track) is also for S3 only.
Thank you very much for your answers, my PC is average and I have a Logitech Driving Force EX steering wheel, so I have thought about buying the S1 license if I see that I like to evolve and buy a decent steering wheel with 900 degrees and jump directly to the S3 version since I have seen videos of mods and they are great
Hi and welcome to LFS.

You can still have fun in LFS even with the wheel you own at the moment. If you feel it's holding you down, then just switch to mouse+keys controls. LFS will run fine even on low-end PCs, so no worries there.

I'll have to disagree with the guys saying that most activity goes on in S3. There is indeed the most time and organization involved for league and other events, however, those are at best on a 1 week basis. There you will see only the best and most dedicated LFS drivers and for a new racer, there is not much fun, even if one manages somehow to get passed the qualifying session.

It's actually the demo servers and a few cruise S2 servers that are the most popular and you can have your casual daily LFS dose at any time. I recommend you start with a demo online and see how it goes. Then start thinking about getting S1, S2 and S3 licenses slowly over time and eventually an ffb wheel.
Thank you very much for your answers, my logitech ex steering wheel already has a force feedback that I even have at 40% because the force it applies seems to be strong to me, the only drawback is that they are 180º, the truth is that I see that the new g29 models have a lot of People complain about the problems they cause and the first Logitech ones like mine are still fighting, which steering wheel would you recommend for me now? I have thought about purchasing S1 for the moment since I am more into driving "street" cars than F1 or GT, as in the end if I buy S3 I only have to pay the difference I would not lose money when upgrading.
The S3 only calls me only for the mods
#7 - P V L
As you seem to have a working wheel at the moment my advice would be to spend the money on a S3

licence instead. It should be less than a new wheel and opens the full world of LFS to you.

There are many nice mods out already, even bikes are great fun and a new experience. Greets P V L.
I bought the logitech ex for 10 pounds to use it on ps2 with gran turismo 4 which I had a complete 100% gold time with this wheel during pandemic
Your license status is : S3 licensed
Number of available unlocks : 2

What does number of avariable unlocks 2 mean? Can I unlock the S3 game on 2 more PCs?
See: https://www.lfs.net/faq/33
and on LFSManual: https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Introduction#Unlocking

Main takeaway: the number of available unlocks slowly refills on Fridays, up to a maximum of 2. The limit of 2 might not be correct, since there were some changes recently which granted extra unlocks (I don't precisely remember), but the main thing is, it refills constantly so over time you can always unlock your LFS on your PC.
Thank you very much for your answer MandulAA
I started playing LFS with a Logitech Formula Force EX - I think they're nearly identical. The 180° might not seem a lot but with comfortable settings you can be plenty fast, with enough practice.

Not sure how you like it but in the "settings --> controls" I was running very high "wheel turn compensation" setting (probably around 0.9-0.95, can't remember). This makes steering precise at the center so I have good control at higher speeds and only in the second half of the wheel turn (i.e. past 45°) it starts turning the game wheel much quicker for those sharp corners.
The main advantage of better/newer wheels is in my opinion that they have more rotation. That feels much more realistic.
My first FFB wheel was a Logitech Momo (somewhat comperable to Driving Force EX?), then Logitech G27.
Both still work okay, never had to repair anything.
The G27 feels much more robust. Especially the pedals are much better, more travel range and just overall better quality.
The Fanatec wheel of a friend feels even better. I think with wheels it also depends a bit on luck, like with any hardware. One lose part can "break" it but sometimes it is a relatively easy fix. (like glue in a loose potiometer)

Quote from rane_nbg :There is indeed the most time and organization involved for league and other events, however, those are at best on a 1 week basis. There you will see only the best and most dedicated LFS drivers and for a new racer, there is not much fun, even if one manages somehow to get passed the qualifying session.

I think it depends, often there are some slower and more casual drivers at the end of the grid.
Why would qualifying be a problem? Some events require minimum laptime (like 107% rule in F1) but that is rare. Just ask in chat or forum for a setup, practice a bit and be aware of cars around you. I would not overthink it.
Yes, the g25 and g27 comment that they are ultra durable, I have friends who have had the g29 last 2 days, they have changed it up to 2 times under warranty and in the end, fed up, they have returned it, that is my fear, it seems that the new steering wheels They are more delicate, like the t150, after 4 days they get some looseness that is not even half normal, yes, the ex is similar to the momo, but the momo has 270º and the ex has 180º

The bad thing is that finding units in good condition ask for 150 euros, it is not worth paying that for a steering wheel so old that it can break at any time, like the logitech driving force pro already with 900º but they ask between 75 to 100 euros, more Likewise, you don't deserve to pay 100 euros for something that can break at any moment because it is 20 years old.

The truth is that Logitech should bring to the market some steering wheel with 900º rotation, even if it is with the old technology but at a competitive price, it would take over the market for first-price steering wheels, a g29 costs around 300 euros, which is a g25 -27 updated.
I have a G29 and I quite like it. Never had a single problem with it software or hardware. The only slight anoying thing about it, there is a small axial play in the motors, shaft goes axially backward-forward by like 1mm, which causes a small gear backlash, responsible for what people reffer as a "clanking noise" under heavy oscilating ffb. But other than this small hardware issue caused by usage of helical gears, that do make it more quiet and smooth, is a fair tradeoff.

New in the world lfs
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG