The online racing simulator
Allow upload hotlaps with mod cars for world record rankings
Since this topic was raised once again in LFS discord server,I would like to post this under official improvement suggestions for public discussions,suggestions and brainstorming. Of course adding this option straight away would lead in huge mess in world record standings,so there should be some limitations to ensure quality over quantity.

One of the key points are mod updates - current system allows users to update their mods at any time,where updates can include big changes in performance. To avoid this my proposal is to add possibility to mark mods as "finished". Once marked such,updating these mods should be possible only through mod reviewers (sorry,more work for you Razz ) and update may include only minor visual fixes without affecting performance in any way. Exception may be when the physics generally in LFS are changed (for example new tyre physics launched) as then hotlap charts are reset anyway.

Once finished,the mod could be applied for inclusion in official hotlapping system,which would go into public voting (for S3 users only for obvious reasons),where each month the most popular car would be officially added to hotlap charts. It's up to discussion here if such charts would be mixed with standard LFS cars or displayed seperately.
* Alternativelly application to such voting could be similar to marking "finished" and inclusion to hotlap charts would disallow updates.

Of course to ensure quality,mods should fill certain criteria - like overall 3D model quality including all LODs,realistic performance and aerodynamics values (no 150hp cars that can reach 260km/h as they have a drag of a bicycle or 2 liter engines with torque of a cruise ship because "diesel"),suspension quality and realism. Alternativelly maybe only approved status cars as they should fulfill highest standards - allthough some does not as these were approved before raising the standards.

So feel free to add your thoughts and suggestions here. Adding mods to hotlap charts would add a little more competition there and also give some more competition to those not living in timezones with most active online racing,while it also would give extra motivation to create quality cars and maybe even bikes - that would be also something new in hotlaps charts.
Each month new car seems too fast in my opinion. but I like the overall idea.
Quote :Alternativelly maybe only approved status cars as they should fulfill highest standards

Maybe limit it to "Staff Pick" cars, currently 14.
Or maybe just pick from that pool, not add all at once.

There is also the question of tracks, not every car/bike is suitable for every track.
With official cars there was only the distinction that some cars could not be hotlapped on rallye or Westhill karting.
With mods, now there are some very low-powered slow cars/karts. It might make sense to limit their hotlapping to suitable short twisty tracks. (Hadraplan on Oval is as useless as GTR on Kart tracks)
Quote from manolixsvouros :Each month new car seems too fast in my opinion.

Yea,maybe that way the list could get cluttered too fast. Once per 3-4 months? Still - it's just a start of idea,let's see if devs can make anything out of it.
Quote from Gutholz :There is also the question of tracks, not every car/bike is suitable for every track.

Once a car becomes eligible,it surely should get "checked" only on tracks that suit it.
don't think any mandatory set time interval is a good idea and there's some headaches concerning the mod hotlaps in general
I think if anything everyone can agree on a class with base rules and have the unlimited record be based on that. Say 700kg weight, parts must realistically fit, max hp 1500. Max tire width 1500mm combined total. Cog height minimum ? Just spitballing. Min drag 0.9 combined, max downforce at 300kmh 7000kg?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG