The online racing simulator
Pit Problems
(24 posts, started )
Pit Problems
In the next update if any devs. are reading this can you please please PLEASE make it so that the pits are closed on the 1st and last lap of a mandatory pitstop race. This will stop the exploit where people just start from the pitlane and run the race normally after pitting and also people who pit on the last lap and save themselves the time of an outlap. Just drove the best race on a server only to come 3rd to two people that had done this.
Last lap pitting does not count toward your pitstop if you are running on the latest patch, the first lap is still exploitable though :/
#3 - Jakg
Quote from RockBottomWalsh :In the next update if any devs. are reading this can you please please PLEASE make it so that the pits are closed on the 1st and last lap of a mandatory pitstop race. This will stop the exploit where people just start from the pitlane and run the race normally after pitting and also people who pit on the last lap and save themselves the time of an outlap. Just drove the best race on a server only to come 3rd to two people that had done this.

if it hasnt already been done in U20 im sure its on Scawens to do list as i remember a post from him about it (but then i remember a PM with the S3 download link, and as i clicked it... i woke up )

EDIT - Beaten By Becky (joke!)

seems Scawen fixed it, but 1st lap pitting seems ok to me, seeing as some people get very wrecked at T1 and then pit at the end of lap 1
yeah pitting at the end of lap one is fine i am talking about the people that pit from the start grid, come out of the garage and into one of the pit squares stay there for about a seccond and then drive the whole race without pitting. It makes me angry
#5 - Jakg
Quote from RockBottomWalsh :yeah pitting at the end of lap one is fine i am talking about the people that pit from the start grid, come out of the garage and into one of the pit squares stay there for about a seccond and then drive the whole race without pitting. It makes me angry

ah that - hadnt thought about that

how about if your not damaged and havent left the pits, or made any set changes it wont pit stop you after a tele pit
Just make pitstops in the first 30 seconds of a race (or server configuarable) not count towards the results.
I remember a similar thread about pitting from the line. I'd like to see a serverside option to disable shift-s and reset. Disabling it for a time period would also work.

EDIT: Quick fix, issue a 45 sec time penalty for shift-s/resetting.
The other thing about forced pitstops is when you join mid-race. If I joined on lap 9 of a 10-lapper I would be disqualified because of the last lap pit rule, even if I tried to stop.

I agree about disabling Shift+S and still think both it and reset shouldn't work unless you're on your roof.
#9 - VoiD
Quote from Dajmin :The other thing about forced pitstops is when you join mid-race. If I joined on lap 9 of a 10-lapper I would be disqualified because of the last lap pit rule, even if I tried to stop.

Well, I don't think you're supposed to partake a race which has already 90% of the distance driven (with you no chance of winning whatsoever). There's no point in fixing that
Well yeah, but we can't always time our joining so that we always get in at the start of the race

But hell, even if I did join at the start I'd still have no chance of winning
Quote from Dajmin :I agree about disabling Shift+S and still think both it and reset shouldn't work unless you're on your roof.

No. Shift+S and reset should be removed, mid-race join removed. Make flipped cars spectate.
I don't see any reason that a flipped car shouldn't be able to rejoin the race if it's still capable of driving. More something you see in rally than road racing, but still...

Encouraging safe, fair racing is one thing, but making severe penalties will hurt it. Maybe a longer delay for resetting, to replicate a bunch of marshalls righting the car.

Flips can happen that aren't your fault, they can happen (a lot) with the UFR on kerbs and your race shouldn't be over on the first lap just because you cut a corner too close.
Quote from Dajmin :Flips can happen that aren't your fault, they can happen (a lot) with the UFR on kerbs and your race shouldn't be over on the first lap just because you cut a corner too close.

"you cut a corner too close" - "not your fault" ?? Sorry but this is 100% your fault. If you roll your car in a real race then it's over, no matter if that car would be able to continue or not from a technical point of view, it's simply over.

In my opinion it's all these arcade features (reset, shift+s, midrace join, getting out of sand traps, ...) that ruin a big part of LFS's serious look, and also take away the fear of crashing a bit. Right now it's really more like an arcade game with realistic physics than a serious online racing simulator, or atleast I could understand how somebody who first sees LFS could think that. All these features look more like "debug" stuff that you'll undoubtedly need when messing around, but the resulting immersion from such things is practically nil. I hope in the next bigger patches this stuff gets disabled per default, and if a server really wants a certain feature, they must enable it seperately.
shift-s is fine in pickup races, although I hate car reset. It's as much dangerous to the next person round as it is a benefit to the person using it - it has no place in the game what-so-ever.

Before shift-s is totally removed from league races we need to be able to access the pit screen by driving into the pits and not loose our race position.
Quote from Becky Rose :Before shift-s is totally removed from league races we need to be able to access the pit screen by driving into the pits and not loose our race position.

I certainly support that stance, but at the same time certain changes should be impossible when doing that. Or give a hefty "applying setup changes" wait delay after exiting the garage? It's not like you drive to pits, change the gearing in a second and then continue to race
Quote from Becky Rose :
Before shift-s is totally removed from league races we need to be able to access the pit screen by driving into the pits and not loose our race position.

I'm a little confused here, do you mean not lose your slot on the server?
#18 - Jakg
no, she means that you can access the screen you get a Shift + S (the garage its sometimes known) without having to shift + s, as when you do it loses what position you were in in the race and puts you out in last
I'm probably missing something obvious but why would I need the garage during a race? I thought the F12 menu was there for midrace changes?
I guess for minor changes to spoiler angles, tyre types, TC, maybe even small suspension / steering alterations.

@AndroidXP
Okay, a corner-cut flip would be your own fault, but if someone nudges you over it you happen to flip it doesn't seem fair that they should carry on and you'd get booted.
The race might be over from a serious competitive point of view, but you don't know what might happen a few laps down the line - someone could spin or crash and you could get back some time or even a couple of places.

I suggested a delayed auto-flip in another thread some time ago, and I still think this is the least dangerous (the delay gives people the chance to pass and if they're approaching they will see the car start to turn over) and most suitable way to keep it fun.

Sandtraps are another issue. In fact, often a reset isn't enough to escape them. Again, a slow virtual marshall push to the tarmac would allow you to continue with minimal danger to those around you.
Quote from i30i3i3y :I'm probably missing something obvious but why would I need the garage during a race? I thought the F12 menu was there for midrace changes?

Because even with a completely trashed car that you take to the garage, you want to fix it and rejoin the race. Even if it means 50% laps down to the leader. In league racing, every point matters. You may finish -20 laps to the leader, but someone else may finish -21 laps down or not even finish. Means you gained a point, 5 points, whatever the system is setup like, that the other guy didn't get because you still finished ahead of him instead of quiting on lap 3 when you severly wrecked.

Is other real racing series like this where cars will reenter the race if they are that far back? Nascar does, but you're talking 200-500 laps for those races. It could be quite easy to gain many positions if you reenter the race 50 laps down when 4 other cars blow up before 50 laps to go.
I see the point of repairing your car and finishing last rather than a DNF but pitting on the box repairs your car to pristine condition, you don't need to go into the garage.

I understand we need a method of accessing the garage screen ingame to change cars and change setups when practicing. But I fail to see a scenario where I need the garage screen while I'm still in a position to continue racing competitively.

Say I've messed up in a race and have taken huge damage. If the car is undrivable then I'm out, as I should be. A writeoff should force you to spectate or rejoin from lap 1 if the server permits midrace join (which I assume league races disable.

If I can drive it to the pits then I can stop on the box, have it repaired and continue on my race without resetting my lap count.

During the race I can use the F12 menu to change things like fuel load, camber, downforce, etc when I pit. But like AndroidXP said its not right being able to change gear ratios and stuff during a pitstop, so you should be limited to only being able to change the F12 stuff during a race. That being said I hope the F12 menu is made a bit more user friendly
Quote from i30i3i3y :Say I've messed up in a race and have taken huge damage. If the car is undrivable then I'm out, as I should be. A writeoff should force you to spectate or rejoin from lap 1 if the server permits midrace join (which I assume league races disable.

That is my point. Now, my only spectating experience of racing is Nascar, but if they take heavy damage and the car is undrivable as in your example, then a towtruck comes out under the yellow (full course btw) and takes them to the garage. Then they spend the next half hour, hour, or so fixing the car including major suspension components, etc. Then they come back out on the track 50 laps down and gain positions on the 3 guys who blow the motor up before lap 148 of 200. In Nascar, that's 9 points in the season standings.

Do they do this in other racing series such as the road course series that I don't have access to watch?
Basically, no. In BTCC and WTCC you are basically done for if you have major damage since the laps are usually only 16 laps. V8s can do that, DTM can do that, and F1. Although with F1, you are usually done with work like that.

Pit Problems
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG