The online racing simulator
A couple notes on the community in general
I'd just like to say that it's rare to find a bunch of people in an online gaming community that actually behave like respectable human beings (for the most part). I'm really tired of the people that populate the FPSes (HAHA PWNED U SUCK N00B!) and the MMOs (d00d, gimme gold pls?) and the like. To come into a game like this and find people are actually civil and polite to each other is a breath of fresh air.

You don't tear each other down--you help each other out. Players give advice, swap car setups, all kinds of stuff. Most of all, you guys mostly put up with my crappy driving--if I played like this in any other game I'd have probably been booted off every server known to Man.

So I just wanted to say thanks. Despite the extreme difficulty of this game, it's the community that keeps me here.
#2 - Vain
But don't dare to come here without an S2-account. :mad:

No, really, they're some nice folks here.

Vain
Quote from Vain :But don't dare to come here without an S2-account. :mad:

No, really, they're some nice folks here.

Vain

Yea that's some what ture . We can be mean .
Rebeldevil, from the US, sweet. Take a look at the sig, Eagle's looking for new members.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from Vain :But don't dare to come here without an S2-account.

... and post screenies of S2 stuff or ask for a BF1 set
It does generally seem to be a very good community that plays LFS.

I can't help wondering though if that may be simply because it's fairly small. I mean let's compare the number of people playing LFS right now (about 250 S2 licenses according to LFSW) with those playing Counter-Strike Source (which I also play). There's no comparison.

So let's hope as the LFS community grows that the people grow with it, and the few people who may originally have had the "ZOMG U SUX N00B!!111!11" attitude will be inclined to act like human beings and together we can drive them out for good (pun totally intended).

Come on people now, smile on your brothers, let's get together, try to love one another right now.

/passes the bong...I mean, the peace pipe.

[Edit: Post #100! Yay me!]
You seem like a nice person... perhaps you should put "teh star!1111" in your signiture.

Jakg knows it.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from z3r0c00l :You seem like a nice person... perhaps you should put "teh star!1111" in your signiture.

i have to be nice to have it?
I do think the size of the community has a lot to do with the behavior. Look at the small town I grew up in versus a major metro like New York. My town is pretty quiet, people are mostly nice to each other, nothing really happens. In NYC people by and large don't give a crap about each other, are rude to most people they don't know, and figure it doesn't matter because they can gain anonymity in a crowd.

And I think that's a lot of the reason small communities are more civil. They can't disappear as easily. Do something openly mean-spirited and someone is going to call you on it and punish you for it. So really it's in everyone's best interests right now to behave themselves.

It's that HAHA N00B attitude that made me quit playing Counterstrike, Battlefield and other FPSes online. I just got sick of the insults, the virtual ****-waving and the 13 year olds trying to act big and bad.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
i guess it can also be attibuted to the games very steep learning curve and investments you have to make to get the most out of it
lets face it lfs costs some 36 euros in theory ... but the real costs range anything from 60 for a momo up to a couple thousands for a frex ord brd setup or some 20k-ish for a fd if you really want to go crazy

you have to put a lot into it to get the most out of it so it tends to draw a more serious and more mature crowd
It's because this is a different genre. This isn't about quenching your thirst for blood and killing others, this is about competing with others. And another important aspect is being a beginner. In FPS games you don't have the chance to learn the game because you get killed 4 seconds after you spawn while here you can pull over, wait for others to pass, then drive at your own pace, learn the track and eventually catch up with others.
Quote from Shotglass :i guess it can also be attibuted to the games very steep learning curve and investments you have to make to get the most out of it
lets face it lfs costs some 36 euros in theory ... but the real costs range anything from 60 for a momo...

I agree both thisname's & yours are main reasons of the community being this way. Racing rules are way more strict than the average FPS or MMORPG, and beign able to follow those rules is a sign of some kind of sociability (sp?)

But the investment also plays it's role, I go to demo servers from time to time searching for the classic GTI/BL GP races and the difference is really huge, you have to search a lot to find a good race there. EDIT: I'm not saying every demo user behaves this way, but you have to agree there are plenty of them.

So, yay for this community.

BTW Dajmin, do you still have that bong... err.. pipe there?
:grouphug:
Quote from Eldanor :But the investment also plays it's role, I go to demo servers from time to time searching for the classic GTI/BL GP races and the difference is really huge, you have to search a lot to find a good race there. EDIT: I'm not saying every demo user behaves this way, but you have to agree there are plenty of them.

ive also noticed that most demo drifters are very well unskilled mostly because of their input devices ... ive seen some who obviously use a digital gamepad (either full lock or none) and the like
though there are a few very highly skilled keyboard and mouse drifters who impress me every time i realize they dont use a wheel

the point is most demo drivers dont own a wheel and havent played enough to be skilled at mousing which makes it even harder to find a good race there
The size of the community may be a factor, but I think the age distribution is a bigger one. I imagine calling people NOOBS on the internet is not a common pass-time among folks with office jobs and mortgages.

This is the only game I really play online often..why? The community. The general level of respect most people have for everyone else, not just here, but on the track as well. Sure once in a while a you'll encounter a tosser, but on the whole this game has the best community I've seen, and I enjoy being a part of it. Thats what keeps me coming back and not losing interest like I have in every other game.
What they all said up there ^.

This isn't a "kill" game. This is a competition. Without other's being up to par with everyone, then there is no competition. Then it is just boring. The veterans want you to follow simple ediquotte (I always forget how to spell that word) while you learn. After the initial learning experience, they want you to be out there with them, door to door. It isn't any fun just lapping around by yourself (though some folks do think it is, the hotlappers).

Most everybody here is also quite passionate about racing. They love to watch racing and many race IRL themselves. Everyone pretty much takes this quite seriously as a competition rather than just a game. There is no point to it like other "games". You race, the race is over, and you gain nothing. Nothing to collect, no ranks to climb, no money to collect, nothing. After the race, you just restart and have a blast at another race. It's a whole new process as nothing transfers over from the last race. Except for that one guy who just snuck past you on the final lap which you are dead set on making sure he is behind you at the end of the next race.
very good thread

I also enjoy the LFS community.
Like the other said, most LFS racers are passionate about racing in general,
and are people who dont have the agressive "hooligan" atitude.
Ofcourse its nice to win races, but only nice if you had to fight hard
and close against another driver. - and thats why you dont ram him off the track.
-you want the fun of racing against him.
And the avarage LFSer is older than in most FPS etc...
(just repeating whats allready said bla bla..)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
what the hell is this thread about, you NOOB, go back to noob land, learn to spell and get some better clothes....oh, and stop eating so many apples, its UN-NATURAL!!!!!!!

hmmmm
Quote from bo-kristiansen :very good thread
And the avarage LFSer is older than in most FPS etc...
(just repeating whats allready said bla bla..)

Mentally, at least. I was rather surprised when I started asking around on
a certain FPS game how old people were. A large number were in their 30s. illepall

I agree with everyone else here, LFS is the only game I play online on a regular basis.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah I'd heard IRL was going downhill.

Er, yea. I meant folks race In Real Life not in the Indycar Racing League illepall
not forgetting to mention its a sim community.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG