The online racing simulator
Formula 1 2007 calendar released
(49 posts, started )
Yeah this calendar sucks, but is also cool I guess.

Fuji might be interesting (lol they have a 7-11 nearby!!!), though I really miss Suzuka A LOT. Spa is nice to have back.... but damn, Nurburgring versus Hockenheim???? I would've gone with Nurb without a doubt. I guess Bernie is still suckin Tilke's you-know-what to have chosen Hockenheim. Imola is a shame to have cut, and especially that they require doing work on it??? Other than that tighter chicane that the drivers disliked, what will they do to it? New surfacing? New Corners? In a way I am interested to see what is done with Imola, but also not... because it will only matter 2 years from now
There is no choice between Nurburgring and Hockenheim, i'd chose Oesterichring every time...
Even though it's old news that indy is still on the calendar, i think they should have skipped it and made the track a little more interesting.

edit: word is that they are suppose to swap hockenhiem and the ring every year.
I hoped they would have changed Indy to something else... maybe Miller Motorsports Park?
Indi has the contract for a few more years yet, I can't remember exactly when now, I think 2008 will still be at Indi too.
Quote :edit: word is that they are suppose to swap hockenhiem and the ring every year.

Brands and Silverstone used to do that, then they built a housing estate next to Brands and couldn't use the GP track. Now the noise barrier is built (trees mostly) and they want to build a housing estate at Silverstone. I wonder what gready developer has eyes on Hockenheim?
Quote from deggis :I hoped they would have changed Indy to something else... maybe Miller Motorsports Park?

Again I sense new circuit syndrome, at least it's been built before would become an F1 venue but what about something more established:

Laguna Seca - I can see the we're too retarded to make our cars cope with the corkcrew complaints

Watkins Glen

An oval - don't shoot me, it would give variation and a different kind of challenge, IIRC F1 used to have the Indy 500 as a championship round...

... and the WSC used to have a couple of hillclimb rounds, what about something along those lines for the pinacle of motorsport?
I've said it before, Laguna Seca is not a "F1" venue. The track might suit F1, but it is slightly narrower, not a very long course (takes a little over 1 min to complete), and an F1 car can drive on it just fine. However the quality of the track and the spectator ammenities are absolute crap there. Laguna Seca would need a complete makeover to make it look like a quality F1 track, it doesn't even have a proper F1-style pitlane... and I doubt they would be reconstructing the pits again, heheh. The track is really just in a dry dirt hilly area, and not really comparable to other F1 tracks. The same goes for Watkins Glen I think.

There are only a few courses that could suit F1 in the US, but the only one that looks to be catered more for F1 is Indy, and maybe Sebring.

Though, that would need a nice makeover too, it has a very shitty track surface:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3HseoYnbywM
Quote from Tweaker :I've said it before, Laguna Seca is not a "F1" venue.

There's no reason a track capable of hosting sports car racing can't provide the appropriate pit facilities for F1 and a track suitable for CART/A1 GP would be fine for F1. In terms of spectator facilities (which is really what the only actual issue may be) it seems Laguna Seca already has two large grandstands from the track map, more could be put up temporarily, look at the Goodwood FoS, Lord March doesn't have an issue getting 100000 spectators to visit his drive one weekend in August, so why should any other racetrack be different?
Quote :Other than that tighter chicane that the drivers disliked, what will they do to it?

New pitlanes. In Imola they have the oldest pits on the calendar.

About Nurby/Hockenheim: Hockenheim is running out of money. The company operating the track could only be saved from bankrupcy this year by rather large public funding from the area. That is something that the area cannot afford and cannot make up with the revenues from the event. That's why Hockenheim itself asked for an alteration of the contract with Bernie. Bernie simply is charging too much money for Hockenheim to hold a GP there every year, so they now alternate with Nurby.
Quote from ajp71 :so why should any other racetrack be different?

It is just that Bernie or whoever really requires a new track to be totally redone to look professional. Laguna Seca hardly has changed its face because they want to keep it's historic value. Also, they don't really spend a lot on track improvements, they really don't. The last thing they did was the pitlanes a few years ago, and that's it. Now they are laying bricks near the corkscrew for spectators to walk on :rolleyes:. Laguna Seca is just a dry, and plain track when you look at the surroundings. If money was granted to them, they would put it to good use I am sure, but Laguna Seca is better off maintained than having a complete makeover.

I'd imagine if it required an F1 overhaul it would need a new surface, loads more grandstands, a new f1-style pitlane, larger runoff areas... hell, even decent parking if they added support for more spectators. Bernie LOVES chicanes, Laguna Seca has the corkscrew, thats it. Not much else. But it isn't just the quality of the track and how good it will look for F1, it is how exciting it will be, and F1 seems to adjust their track choice a lot more on how the track is designed to allow passing opportunities, F1 needs that. Laguna Seca really only would have 1 or two passing chances for drivers.... the hairpin, and turn 5 maybe. F1 seems to require long fast zones and tight chicanes to have drivers duke it out and make an exciting race. Personally I thought Turkey had a few corners which were really well made for passing chances. Laguna Seca is not much of a passing track, trust me. And it isn't even that long... so laptimes around 1 minute is just way too fast in my opinion.
What about Sears Point?

Whilst it would possibly need a new pit lane and a temporary stand or two (It hosts IRL and NASCAR, ) but the track would need no major actual alterations. Mmmmm ... F1 cars on Carousel
Quote :it is how exciting it will be, and F1 seems to adjust their track choice a lot more on how the track is designed to allow passing opportunities,

Having seen the new tracks introduced over the last few decades I dont think overtaking or excitement is ever a consideration, they're more interested in the 'facilities' of the circuit, ie: the PR and corporate money making side of things. Oh and how big the bribe to the FIA is, as the circuits have to pay to host a race.
Instead of indi thyey should use Laguna 5eca lol
!!!
Rome Meeting to save Imola race!
Why does that not surprise me? And why do I already know the "meeting" will be successful and Imola will be back on the calendar in 2007?
Good to see spa back ! Proberly the best circuet ever !
Few weeks (or maybe a month) ago Champ Cars were racing on some track that was build partly on an old airfield or something... what track was that?

ps. I'm not seeing that track as an future F1 track, just curious because I don't remember the track name.
#44 - JJ72
detriot?
Quote from deggis :Few weeks (or maybe a month) ago Champ Cars were racing on some track that was build partly on an old airfield or something... what track was that?

ps. I'm not seeing that track as an future F1 track, just curious because I don't remember the track name.

West Edmonton GP @ JAGFlo speedway. Built on City Centre Airport.
#47 - J.B.
Rumours say Turkey is as good as gone. The FIA has little choice after the Turkish organizers were stupid enough to admit they had politically abused the podium and that they were glad they had. illepall

Maybe this could somehow help to free up room for Suzuka on the Calendar?
To tell you the truth... 17 events? illepall They should simply of added Belgium in, to add a grandprix. The more the better.

Good to see Australia back as opener though.
#49 - JJ72

Formula 1 2007 calendar released
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG