The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Quote from BorislavB :Wonder why spent so much time on this bikes, when nobody will make championship or endurance race with them like with cars?! Didnt understand really...

1. Scawen is a biker
2. bikes are a WIP (eventually there will be events)
- rony has already hosted one time trial event and we have a discord going on for multiple races at the moment.
3. There are 100+ people that enjoy the bikes in live for speed

Scawen, you also made it possible to rip fat skids with the ebrakes on the bikes lol!
I will make a video showing soon, you are a goat my guy!
At Cesav.es we did an event with bike some month ago (I would say 12-2022). So it was old physic, it was not perfect but we all had great fun. Out of comfort zone learning new stuff having some laugh... Can't wait to seriously try these improvements!
Still not sure will get same fun that you got with cars during race but ok, maybe problem is in my head... I just wait for updated tracks and night mode.
Quote from BorislavB :Still not sure will get same fun that you got with cars during race but ok, maybe problem is in my head... I just wait for updated tracks and night mode.

well heres good news for you, he said hes going back to the tire model after bikes.
I havent tested thaaaat much yet, but so far I really like the changes to bike physics, i really struggled riding them in earlier versions, and it became much easier now - even fun, one might say Wink.

So many things that can be done with bikes now come to my mind... But i dont want to distract you with more suggestions for now haha - after all we are all still waiting for the big update haha Smile.
Quote from Rob2003 :So many things that can be done with bikes now come to my mind... But i dont want to distract you with more suggestions for now haha - after all we are all still waiting for the big update haha Smile.

It's true, I also don't suggest many things, because the developed update with graphics and physics is much more important, and should be a priority imao.
Is it possible to add an on/off switch to the "miscellaneous" tab for the motorcycle's steering system? I believe that if there is a way to walk with the stabilizers turned off, it is possible to maneuver, so that the stabilizer does not interfere, thinking that we would fall

Quote from evandroPRO123 :Is it possible to add an on/off switch to the "miscellaneous" tab for the motorcycle's steering system? I believe that if there is a way to walk with the stabilizers turned off, it is possible to maneuver, so that the stabilizer does not interfere, thinking that we would fall

Exactly what I suggested.
Quote from gu3st :Are you using straight WINE or using Proton? Proton may work better as it should be using Vulkan for D3D rather than the Wine D3D system?

I'm using pure wine, on this PC the GPU is so old (GTX 560 Ti) it doesn't support Vulkan. I will try again either on a different system or when I'm back on my main PC in a few days.
Quote from evandroPRO123 :Is it possible to add an on/off switch to the "miscellaneous" tab for the motorcycle's steering system? I believe that if there is a way to walk with the stabilizers turned off, it is possible to maneuver, so that the stabilizer does not interfere, thinking that we would fall

No, I think you believe that there is a separate system that is acting as a stabiliser. In fact the entire balancing mechanism and steering are lumped together into a steering model. The user sets the lean, then the steering model attempts to achieve that lean solely by adjusting the front wheel steering. It's a very challenging coding task, as you can see by the two weeks it took me to get to D45, after D44.

The solution I would really like, as mentioned before, would be to have a "physics" model (simulating gyroscopic effects) and a separate "steering" model that is applied on top of that, but that is not the case at the moment and will not be the case, certainly in the 'old' LFS physics.

As I say, quite often, I am trying to get off this test patch so I can get back to the new physics so I can release the new graphics system that everyone wants. If I don't finish it, then it can't be released.

I don't think everyone understands quite how extremely active this bike balancing needs to be, to keep the bike upright at all. Without the steering model constantly adjusting the front wheel, the bike will fall instantly. For example, if the user had direct control of the handlebars, it would be impossible to keep the bike up. The balancing code is actually adjusting the steering 2000 times per second to keep the bike upright.

At this point I will only fix serious problems. I'm not going to be working on the bikes going off road in the old tyre model, or implementing a full bike physical dynamics system at this time.

EDIT: The only system like "stabiliser" that balances the bike using external forces is the "walking" or "feet down" model that takes place up to 2 m/s (7 km/h). Above 7 km/h all balance comes from the front wheel, attempting to achieve the lean angle requested by the user input.
I love these new physics now, thank you Scawen, i got no more complaints. Its as good as it's gonna get in these old physics. You can actually drive fast now without fighting the bike too much. Offroad driving ability also increased a lot even if as side effect.
Yes this patch is already good enough, you can just publish it that would be functional for all players to fully switch to the development version with graphics and physics. I think it would be better for everyone. Thank for your work!
Amazing work Scawen, you got me working on my bike again. Very fun to drive on an controller.
Quote from Scawen :I don't think everyone understands quite how extremely active this bike balancing needs to be, to keep the bike upright at all. Without the steering model constantly adjusting the front wheel, the bike will fall instantly. For example, if the user had direct control of the handlebars, it would be impossible to keep the bike up. The balancing code is actually adjusting the steering 2000 times per second to keep the bike upright.

OFFTOPIC but... if people want to view the effects of these kind of compensation/balancing calculations in physical objects one could do worse than to check a few James Bruton videos https://www.youtube.com/@jamesbruton/videos

example:
Quote from Flame CZE :Would it be possible to have an option to turn off the “backlight” effect for the clock texture? It would be useful when using a custom backing texture for old cars which don’t have backlit gauges.

I've started a spinoff thread about dashboard lighting:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/105689
A post about direction of engine mounting (specified in "Object Positions" in the vehicle editor).

Quote from Foch_sho :Why can't I disable the "assistant" in management? Will it be impossible to drive a bike without it? Is there a gyroscopic effect on wheels at the moment?

I hope you got enough explanation from my recent posts in this thread.

Anyway, about your bike, the cruiser, I posted a message about the engine mounting. In LFS, for a Harley type of bike it should be selected as "transverse". This is despite the fact that sometimes a transverse V-twin means the cylinders are across the frame (not like on a Harley). This terminology can be confusing, and varies between manufacturer.

However, in LFS this refers only to the direction of the crankshaft, which is transverse for a Harley-style engine mounting.

This inconsistency of terminology is described in the "Motorcycles" section on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-twin_engine

A Harley will vibrate like hell when you rev it (at least the one I tried did) but it will not rock from side to side like a RWD car (or certain bikes with shaft drive which is suited to longitudinal crankshaft).

My original comment to you: https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/806855?comments

Quote from Slashpca :Amazing work Scawen, you got me working on my bike again. Very fun to drive on an controller.

I jumped on your 600 and as soon as I revved it, I noticed the engine mounting is wrong. It should be transverse. When correct the bike will not rock from side to side.

It's cool to see a bike modelled in LFS editor, and you've done some nice modelling there. There's something a bit funny about the drive animation though, the angle between pelvis and the body.

EDIT: You can now get the brake discs rotating, by using the new Hub subobject type. Smile

EDIT2: I like 600cc bikes. Big grin
Quote from teeembo :Just tried a few 2 lap races with compulsory pit stop and (with my WIP mod) the majority of the AI overshoot the pit box and get disqualified.

Happened at WE, FE, KY and BL (0.7D44) but was OK at RO (although there was some contact).

I've fixed this in my version and there will be one more compatible update with a few fixes.

Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Bug Report: AI in KY3R can't find pitstop properly in certain pitboxes, they seem to attempt stop between boxes. Also some of the vehicles still manages to get pitspeed penalty due accelerating too much., such as Formula US 93

Please can you give an example of a pit lane where Formula US 93 (or another mod) speeds in the pitlane due to acceleration?
Quote from Scawen :Please can you give an example of a pit lane where Formula US 93 (or another mod) speeds in the pitlane due to acceleration?

SUPER GP (https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/999C4D) at Rockingham Oval (or any RO config I believe).

Do a wheelspin out of the pit box and the limiter engages too late for the car to stay under the speed limit.
Quote from Scawen :
Anyway, about your bike, the cruiser, I posted a message about the engine mounting. In LFS, for a Harley type of bike it should be selected as "transverse". This is despite the fact that sometimes a transverse V-twin means the cylinders are across the frame (not like on a Harley). This terminology can be confusing, and varies between manufacturer.

Thanks, I fixed and released an update. I have bad English, and I missed this moment with the correct engine position because I didn't understand the meaning of the word.Big grin But from a technical point of view, I understand all this.

I read the message about the steering assistant, thank you for the explanation again.Cool
Quote from michal 1279 :SUPER GP (https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/999C4D) at Rockingham Oval (or any RO config I believe).

Do a wheelspin out of the pit box and the limiter engages too late for the car to stay under the speed limit.

Thanks, although that didn't affect the AI, it's an interesting issue. I've fixed that today by using the drive speed (as used on Speedometer) instead of the true speed. It's more realistic and solves the problem.

On the AI side, I've made some changes that should help:
- Avoid excessive downshifting when approaching speed limit zone
- Approx 1 second safety margin entering pit lane to avoid speeding

If there are examples where AI get speeding offenses (other than at start of speed limit zone) then I can check to see if my changes have solved it.

Quote from Foch_sho :Thanks, I fixed and released an update.

Thanks, that's better!

Quote from Pasci :At Rockingham International, the AI has problems driving the second corner (see route map) without braking and corrective steering several times.

I found out that this doesn't happen in the development version, so although it looks pretty bad, as it's not new I think it's best not to spend any time on this, unless the same type of problem happens at a few other places.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, although that didn't affect the AI, it's an interesting issue. I've fixed that today by using the drive speed (as used on Speedometer) instead of the true speed. It's more realistic and solves the problem.

Was it AI or speed limiter issue? Because it happens to me on powerful stuff but I guess that would be for incompatible update.
Well what I originally asked about was an AI issue, but Michal's reply was about a speed limiter issue.

I'm sure the speed limiter issue is fixed but would be grateful for some testing after D47 is released.

The AI speeding may have been fixed (by other means) but without a single example to test against, it's hard to say. Big grin
Can anyone give an example of cases where AI do very bad steering (and maybe spin or crash) when they leave the main path to join the pit lane path, or when they leave the pit lane path to join the main path?

If you think of an example, please state the vehicle name and the track + config.

E.g.: FORMULA US 93 entering pit lane at WE1.
I have been a bit off, but yes, .spr incoming ( currently processing the race )

EDIT: Got it! It is not that much dramatic as AI is near the end of the pitlane, but there it happens. Depending on the car condition and where the pit box is, it varies. You also notice how they skip a pitbox.

Formula US 93
Attached files
KY3R.spr - 7.6 MB - 64 views
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG