The online racing simulator
How to learn InSim in 2023
(14 posts, started )
I want to start learning insim but dont know where to start.

Where can i start learning from scratch?
#2 - Racon
There is InSim.txt in the docs directory of LFS - it gives an overview of how it works and all the tech specs of every packet. That's definitely the first stop!

What programming language do you know, and how is your programming in general (beginner/intermediate)? There are a few frameworks available, depending on your language.
Quote from Racon :
What programming language do you know, and how is your programming in general (beginner/intermediate)? There are a few frameworks available, depending on your language.

I dont know anything about coding
If you don't know any coding language, insim.net is not for you at all, you can use lapper to get started. It is a simpler level.
Quote from Androphp :you can use lapper to get started. It is a simpler level.

Where can i start that?
Quote from Androphp :If you don't know any coding language, insim.net is not for you at all, you can use lapper to get started. It is a simpler level.

That's not true, one has to start from somewhere.
Quote from fastranker1 :I want to start learning insim but dont know where to start.

Where can i start learning from scratch?

What are your end results? What kind of program would you like to make?

There are various approaches, you could use many different programming languages, but to make your life easier some guys already made some libraries for inSim that have all the required functions you will need. It would be smart to use that and for start just make an app that establishes the connection with inSim in LFS.
Quote from rane_nbg :That's not true, one has to start from somewhere.

I guess this is not a good place to learn programming language, for those who don't know...
He has a motivation, that's a good start already Smile Instead of pushing him away, a few words of encouragement are what he needs now.
I can't code, but I learned to use LFSLapper, where a guy named Gui-Luron made his underlying code interact with the LFS InSim, which was then fairly easy to change, especially as most of what I was doing was really just amending and adding buttons and labels.

Check out https://www.lfs.net/forum/441-Tutorials for examples, explanations, and scripts.

I would start with the explanations on how to make buttons.

The main script within 'lapper' has very good explanations of what particular parts of the script is doing, and sometimes how to change part of it to get a different result.
Quote from fastranker1 :I dont know anything about coding

As sinanju says, probably best to use lapper if you don't already code. Lots of pre-made scripts out there to use and/or learn from.
Yes, that's much better, you guys are learning fast Smile
#13 - uf1
i think androphp is fullstack developer :/
Quote from Androphp :I guess this is not a good place to learn programming language, for those who don't know...

Many moons ago when i first started off, LFSExternal was the first library i ever got into. Working with logic and just putting things together was a blast.

While i do agree that making an insim might be a bit overwhelming for someone that hasn't done any prior programming. The chances of success are not 0.00%.

Let me put it this way, for the OP:
InSim.NET is a C# library made by DarkTimes, with contributions from the community. This library makes it much easier to handle the packets between LFS and the insim client. To get an insim up and running, you'll need at least some knowledge from C# or any other programming language. Other than what the others have said above, there's not really much else i can provide.

Best of luck!

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG