The online racing simulator
Editor Test Patch 0.7D40
(188 posts, closed, started )
That was really fast! Big grin
Thank you. Looks perfect now. Thumbs up
Attached images
2023-06-21 00_00_18-Greenshot.jpg
Quote from Scawen :I've been thinking for a few minutes about this, for example what would happen if I simply enabled a background texture for s_clock_formula / s_clock_f1 / s_clock_f3 / s_clock_fbm (or some of them).

The thing is these clock textures are very hard coded, without adjustment. So I think a proper job for these clocks would be to provide adjustment sliders and many other forms of customisation. And that is what I really can't do at this time.

But... in theory it could be easy to enable a background texture for at least some of them. I'm not sure how much use you could make of it, with these current non-adjustable versions of the textures.

But maybe it's more useful than I think. Do let me know, please.

Its not really useful, but i would apprecciate to have background on formula dashboards, i always wanted to get the ferrenzo dashboard look like this:
Also i attached a screenshot so you can compare them. I apprecciate your effort Scawen Smile
Attached images
C4AD2238-77CF-4E9A-8F68-00AD235FA6F4.png
Thanks for the explanation and example. I've now allowed a background for all types of clock and will release the update this afternoon.

In the case of s_clock_formula, both the blue background and the black rectangle disappear, replaced by the supplied texture.
I'll have to mess with this when I have time, but I wanted to say that I appreciate you also talking about how we can future proof these mods for the physics and lighting updates.

If there's anything else we should be doing so we don't have to emergency update the mods when the final Patch drops I would love to hear it!
D36: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102626

Vehicle editor:

Backing texture can now be used with all types of clock texture
Text colour and opacity can be set on the s_clock_formula clocks
FIX: Vehicle lost 'saved' status exiting modeller with no changes

Modeller:

Message if user attempts to set backing texture on subobject
Texture page marked as dash is shown green (if not used by model)
FIX: Model lost 'saved' status if cutout or mapping drag cancelled
I just noticed something:
The default pivot is a bit too bright, the needles are fine.

No idea if it's easy to separate their (gamma? or level of brightness). Shrug
It's not a big deal if they are left the way they are, I'm gonna use custom one. Big grin

EDIT: Actually never mind, my bad. Big grin
I have just tried the 0.7D34 version and I am very happy about the new functionality. The automatic search for little triangles is an extremely helpful feature. Also, the new dashboard options are perfect as it enables a historically accurate recreation of a boxy Citroen DS dashboard.

Have found only two strange bugs (unfortunately did not take a screenshot):
  1. Corrupted license plates. Sometimes the s_plate_ALP texture looked like it contained mip maps. At the same time small black letters were drawn over the bigger white ones in the modeller. At the same time the plate letters were drawn black with white contours in the vehicle editor. Repeated reloading of the textures fixed the issue.
  2. When changing the fixed texture page, all of the linked cutouts switched to the MATT. It was probably triggered by trying to load non-reachable file first.
Thank you for the reports. I confirm that if you change a texture name to one that doesn't end with _ALP then cutouts with VSHINE or OVERLAY will change to MATT. But I don't think this has changed since the earliest version of the editor. Maybe there could be a warning.

About the corrupted number plates, I can't reproduce it yet. Can you remember what you did before that happened? Was your instance of the modeller started from the entry screen or from within the vehicle editor? Had you changed the number plate (in Driver options) or can you remember anything else that could affect texture memory? I suppose the number plate textures must have either been generated wrongly or became corrupted after generation.
Quote from Scawen : About the corrupted number plates, I can't reproduce it yet. Can you remember what you did before that happened? Was your instance of the modeller started from the entry screen or from within the vehicle editor? Had you changed the number plate (in Driver options) or can you remember anything else that could affect texture memory? I suppose the number plate textures must have either been generated wrongly or became corrupted after generation.

I was reworking graphics of my older mod, when it happened. To texture the updated model, I switched temporarily the interior texture from "fixed" to "skin" to render an interior wireframe. Have tried this again today and the bug is replicated and screenshoted.
Attached images
lfs_editor_bug.jpg
Heh, I've managed to see it once (in D36) using an XF GTI, but can't reproduce it. It's something to do with s_plate_alp and I got it after messing around with another car then loading XF GTI and changing the plate to s_plate_alp.

I'm not sure it's related to changing the skin texture but certainly is related to s_plate_alp somehow.

Guess I'll have another go tomorrow. If you or anyone has a short, reliable method to do this, please let me know! Smile
Quote from Scawen :I'm not sure it's related to changing the skin texture but certainly is related to s_clock_alp somehow.

Guess I'll have another go tomorrow. If you or anyone has a short, reliable method to do this, please let me know! Smile

the LEMON ADIEU mod uses s_clock_white. The derivatives are allowed, so you can download it and try to change the avant_tex_ALP to skin, but unfortunately it cannot be replicated every time.
Quote from Scawen :D36: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102626

Backing texture can now be used with all types of clock texture
Text colour and opacity can be set on the s_clock_formula clocks

The update with dashboards is just great, now dashboards will be beautiful and it will be easier to create beautiful mods inspired by real cars. The only thing which lacks is the ability to turn off the numbers for the texture of the formula clocks, so that we can customize the fonts for the numbers atleast for tacho.
Attached images
Снимок экрана 2023-06-23 001521.jpg
Quote from stuchlo :the LEMON ADIEU mod uses s_clock_white. The derivatives are allowed, so you can download it and try to change the avant_tex_ALP to skin, but unfortunately it cannot be replicated every time.

Sorry, I wrote the wrong thing, it's not s_clock_alp, I meant s_plate_alp goes wrong.

It's not so commonly used so I guess that's why the bug hasn't been reported before.

I might try that later but I'm so short of time, if anyone has a simple and guaranteed way to reproduce the s_plate_alp bug, that would be helpful.

Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :The update with dashboards is just great, now dashboards will be beautiful and it will be easier to create beautiful mods inspired by real cars. The only thing which lacks is the ability to turn off the numbers for the texture of the formula clocks, so that we can customize the fonts for the numbers atleast for tacho.

Added a note about that. I've added a setting to take control of all the colours, for road clocks or formula clocks. It can either be in "system" mode (as now, end user can set some colours using slider in display options) or "manual" (mod creator directly sets background, text, needle, gear led colours). This should be useful for some people to set the background to any colour without needing to use a texture.

I hope to release an update this evening.
The colour selections and some updates for formula clocks are nearly ready but I want to test thoroughly and finish a couple of options. So I should release an updated test patch and editor tomorrow instead of this evening.
great update, whoever, why cant the backing be used in a subobj? e.j, steering wheel. since formulas and some gt's has steering wheel dashboards.

(maybe it was cleared previously but i dont have time to read the whole thread
[EDIT: warning, this post makes something that is simple, sound complicated]

It can be used anywhere, just as the live dashboard texture can.

The optional backing texture, that is listed in the texture page list of the main object, is applied as a background to the live dashboard texture of that vehicle. A vehicle has one live dashboard texture, which may now have a backing texture. If so desired, that backing texture must be listed in the main object, but this has no effect at all on where the resulting live texture may be used.

Hopefully it's not too difficult for people to understand that the backing texture must be listed (once only) in the main object. It doesn't have to be separately listed in the several subobjects where it may appear (as a background of in the live texture).

All these words are making it sound more complicated than it is. Just specify the background texture in the main object's page list and carry on as usual. There are no issues or restrictions.
I'm not sure if it's a bug but multi functional display goes above the backing texture. I suppose because texture has no alpha. Before i had speedometer numbers above it, trying to replicate a cluster. Would be nice if time and miles clock was separable as well though.
Attached images
GO8AUFkyd9.png
LFS_EDITOR_mpEV6QCtpa.png
#94 - AR92
@Scawen, would you please make a "keep subobjects" option when changing a main object? Sometimes mappings are losing the position and scales when merging the subobject which contains gauge, to main object, for the backing texture. To avoid the mapping dislocation, i imported the gauge subobject first to modeller, as main object, then i imported the actual main object (car's body) as attachment to modeller. and merged both and there isnt a problem but when you try to change the main object in vehicle editor with new merged main body, it deletes all the subobject which contains the seats, interior etc.
Quote from Drifteris :I'm not sure if it's a bug but multi functional display goes above the backing texture. I suppose because texture has no alpha. Before i had speedometer numbers above it, trying to replicate a cluster. Would be nice if time and miles clock was separable as well though.

That's not really a bug, no. The MFD is working as intended.

Quote from AR92 :@Scawen, would you please make a "keep subobjects" option when changing a main object? Sometimes mappings are losing the position and scales when merging the subobject which contains gauge, to main object, for the backing texture. To avoid the mapping dislocation, i imported the gauge subobject first to modeller, as main object, then i imported the actual main object (car's body) as attachment to modeller. and merged both and there isnt a problem but when you try to change the main object in vehicle editor with new merged main body, it deletes all the subobject which contains the seats, interior etc.

1) You can use the backing texture on subobjects. It is not limited to use with main object. The backing texture is added to the list of texture pages in main object, then it is visible on the dashboard texture, so it appears on all subobjects that use the dashboard texture.

Simply add the backing texture to the main object in "page" mode. Then it will appear on subobjects as expected. There is no need for dash subobjects to be merged into main object.

2) I am interested to know how mappings are losing position and scale when merging. I think that should not happen. If you have a simple way to reproduce this bug, please let me know.
I've changed the message now when you try to set a dashboard backing texture in a subobject. I hope this will make it more clear.

The backing texture will appear in subobjects but must be set in the main object
D37:

Dashboards:

Ability to set colours instead of using the system colours
Set background colour without supplying a backing texture
Adjustable black rectangle option if background is not black

Road clocks:

Digital and analog speedo may be used at the same time

Formula clocks:

Option to switch off numbers on the tacho display
Option to use a larger step on the tacho display

Modeller

Crash on undo/redo of subobjects in mapping/cutout/page modes
Message: The backing texture will appear in subobjects but must be set in the main object

Download: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102626
great.

would it be possible to fix text colours in clock_f3 too? no need to make the texture editable, just fix the colour
there's a very annoying bug in the latest couple of patches

mirrored triangles in a subobject are missing when exporting to lfs
for example i had lights on a subobject and the mirrored side went missing
I've tried to reproduce that, both a single sided subobject with mirrored triangles, and a mirrored subobject with mirrored triangles.

I don't get a problem in either case. Can you attach a model that can be used to reproduce this issue?
This thread is closed

Editor Test Patch 0.7D40
(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG