The online racing simulator
Text error regarding "connected/disconnected" messages
I've observed another little bug (related to the server I think):

Those connected/disconnected messages seem to skip a leading . (dot character) in the username.

Example:
"User1 connected (.user1)" shows as "User1 connected (user1)"

Maybe there are other characters affected, but we can't really test that easily Wink
It would be easiest to reproduce if I could see a short MPR that shows the issue, then I could run it through the debugger.
Quote from Scawen :It would be easiest to reproduce if I could see a short MPR that shows the issue, then I could run it through the debugger.

I'll try to find one. Though I assumed it's purely server-related. I mean that message also appears in our Insim chatlog that is directly fed by the server, without any client logic.
No, it is generated locally. I think the clue is that it is a translated message? Unless it's actually generated by your InSim program? I've looked in the code and can't see anything that would remove a dot from a user name, so was hoping for an easier reproduction.

I'm trying to do things in a simple way, rather than spending a long time creating fake user names, to try to reproduce the fault. This is to save me time as I have a lot of other things to work on. Maybe you could get your friend with a user name that starts with a dot to join a server to create a short MPR.

When i searched our system, I couldn't find a user called ".user1" so assumed it was an example and you are protecting the identity of the user?

A similar thing has happened on the test patch forum. A bug has been reported, I asked for a reproduction, but no-one is interested. That's fine but it'll take me longer to develop the tyre physics if I'm the only one reproducing obscure bugs.
#5 - Racon
Is it easy enough for you to run the test on an older version? The attached replay is from April 2020 - my database says somebody with a dot for a first character connected on that day (@21:37) and it's the only replay I've got for that date. (I can't check myself as it won't load in the newest version)
Attached files
WE3X_1R_12namecheck.mpr - 57.8 KB - 73 views
** Best answer **
Thank you. No, it's not easy for me to load an obsolete replay in the debugger. I'd have to clean out my source code and restore an old version.

Anyway I've hacked in a user name starting with a . and directly called the relevant function to reproduce the issue.

It seems to be because it goes through a function "copy_name_safe" that deliberately removes '.' or spaces from the start of names. But I think that function is designed for player names and there is no need to use it on user names as they don't have various special characters.

I've found 6 places where that can happen so I'll remove them. Thanks for the report.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG