The online racing simulator
How does the AI adapt to player performance?
Hi,

Sorry, I searched but couldn't find anything recent about it.

In another topic I read that: "The slow Ai represents the average lfs racer speed though, so it's accurate."

Since it doesn't work for me, I must be doing something wrong. Also I would like to know how it works?

How is the average player speed calculated?
On the best laps? On all laps?
Should we qualify before the race?
Do you have to finish the race for the lap times to be taken as a reference?
If the player is pushed off the track and completes the race, does this poor lap time reduce the player's stats for level calculation?
Do we need to have online statistics for this to work?

If anyone knows, or if there is a tutorial on the latest version of AI, thank you very much for helping me.Smile
That was a joke Smile

You can only set AI strength yourself (amateur, pro, etc)
Plus the usual stuff that applies to humans too, like ballast/engine air restrictor, different cars etc.
Quote from Gutholz :That was a joke Smile

You can only set AI strength yourself (amateur, pro, etc)
Plus the usual stuff that applies to humans too, like ballast/engine air restrictor, different cars etc.

Thank you for your reply Smile.

I was gullible because I remember a long, long time ago it was said that the AI in LFS was able to learn while driving. There must be something left of it since the AI gradually improves its lap times within a certain limit, without reaching or exceeding the performance of the player (well at home, yet I am very far from world records).

I take advantage of your attention to ask you the question here. Is there a way (in the pits or via the mod system) for the AI to start the race with more fuel than is automatically allocated based on the number of laps set for the race? I've done supercharged versions of the GTRs and on some tracks the AI still runs out of fuel to finish the race.
Thanks!
In early versions the AI did learn but that is so long ago I only have vague memories how it worked.

If they get faster during a race I would assume the tires warm up and the cars get lighter as fuel gets used up. The 100 liter tanks in GTR makes quite a difference.

AI automatically calculates its fuel and you can not change that. If I recall correctly at race start it should say in chat how much fuel the AI starts with. Do they run out and stop on the track? They should be able to refuel in pitlane. In some races refueling can be faster than not stopping. Is it even possible to go the full distance with one tank?
I believe the LFS AI will remain a mystery. It is also good not to know everything to preserve the magic of illusion Wink.

I tested the latest version of LFS on 5 computers with different configurations. I also have multiple LFS installations per computer. I play with some computers, on others the bots drives alone. The AI never makes the same times. AI never behaves the same way.

The AI improves its lap times during the race, as you say. But the AI also improves race after race, as long as the starting grid is not changed. At one point, there is a sort of state of grace. The AI looks almost human. And the next race is total chaos. It seems that there are several random factors in the behavior of the AI. Scawen did voodoo programming for us Big grin. It's awesome, I love it.

The AI is overall very good for a game of this generation, but too slow.

With faster motors, it's almost feeling like driving with psychopathic humans. Remains the anticipation of collisions, which is not at the top, but It stays funny.

First, i circumvented the problem of quantity of fuel by increasing the capacity of the tanks. It works up to 15 rounds. And finally I found a quick configuration that consumes little, so it works flawlessly.

Before, even if I allowed in-race refueling, the AI would run out of fuel and stop on the track. And sometimes not, with the same number of laps...Uh-hu

The AI is based (I think) on the normal consumption of the original engine and its fuel consumption depends on its driving (more or less aggressive). I rarely do races longer than 20 laps, so a tank capacity is more than enough.

Thanks for helping Gutholz Thumbs up
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Before, even if I allowed in-race refueling, the AI would run out of fuel and stop on the track. And sometimes not, with the same number of laps...Uh-hu

Can you can reproduce it with standard cars or public mods?
Then you could post the replay it in the Bugs forum. Maybe AI just need to take slightly bigger safety margins or something.
Quote from Gutholz :Can you can reproduce it with standard cars or public mods?
Then you could post the replay it in the Bugs forum. Maybe AI just need to take slightly bigger safety margins or something.

I've never had this problem with standard or modded cars. It seems hard to replicate. I would have to do a replay and provide my test cars. It is complicated. Currently it's work with my last engine.

When I have some time I might post something very simple, a tweak of one of the GTRs with a driveable version for the player and a boosted version of the same car for the bots, to have intense and gripping races Big grin.

But I will need the help of a modder for the engine and the behavior of the car, to do something serious and suitable for the mod. Currently I'm just doing engine tests. But this is already a radical change for offline racing, and maybe more. Wink

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG