The online racing simulator
Lemon Fantomas
(41 posts, started )
Lemon Fantomas
I have started working on a classic rally car with an unique hydropneumatic suspension. An accurate suspension approximation will be quite challenging but the first test-drive has been suprisingly satisfactory Smile

Current graphical progress:
Attached images
lemon_fantomas.jpg
Interesting!
Thanks Smile

Progress: added an accurate geometry and a front bumper. The first capable version of hydropneumatic suspension is done.
Attached images
id.jpg
Nice preview!
Thanks Smile

Progress: Modelled rear + bottom + added gaps between panels
Attached images
id_progress.jpg
alternate config?

Quote from johneysvk :alternate config?

I will try, but not sure if I am able to set the aerodynamics properly Big grin
Current progress: Added a realistic power-steering, updated weight and wheel alignment. Modeled windows and basic interior shape (a floor, back seats and ceiling). Minor mesh optimizations and shading improvements.
Attached images
id_progress_2.jpg
Current progress: added realistic racing engine and modeled some interior parts
Attached images
id_progress_3.jpg
Current progress: added a steering wheel, a steering animation, mirrors, lights and minor details
Attached images
id_progress_4.jpg
Beautiful Heart
Thank You Smile

Current progress: added clocks, complete LOD, an optional cartoon outline, plates and more realistic engine. Minor model optimization.
Attached images
id_progress_5.jpg
Current progress: Created skin and texture mappings, started drawing interior textures with ambient occlusion
Attached images
id_progress_6.jpg
pretty!
Thanks Smile
Current progress: added dashboard textures with an ambient occlusion and rally skins. Minor fixes and optimizations. The first version of mod is ready for review.
Attached images
id_progress_7.jpg
Very nice job, handles as expected, shading/texture is great.
So nice it would have deserved a more detailed mesh, like subdivide smooth.
Fun story is I always despised that car, it is so ugly and drives like a slug, but that's in the real (past) world : )
Can't wait ur next mod already !
Quote from loopingz :Fantomas!!!
https://gfycat.com/GrotesquePertinentAsiaticmouflon

And oh by the way I have just came to understand why Citroën are clalzr lemons 🤣🤣🤣

Edit: Excellent work and I am surprised to see Fantomas known outside France !

Quote from johneysvk :It was quite popular in Czechoslovakia, Louis de Funes was in general

Agree, many classic French movies are popular in former Czechoslovakia. I am a big fan myself Smile It is probable that the car was known here mainly because of the movie (western cars were rarer than unicorns in those days). Btw, "lemon" translated into the Slovak language is "citrón" (and "citron" in the Czech language) so it is widely used nickname for these cars.

Quote from turbofan :Very nice job, handles as expected, shading/texture is great.
So nice it would have deserved a more detailed mesh, like subdivide smooth.
Fun story is I always despised that car, it is so ugly and drives like a slug, but that's in the real (past) world : )
Can't wait ur next mod already !

Yes, all my mods are low-poly. It is not as nice as it could be but it can run smoothly on older machines and body deformations work much nicer in the LFS engine. Also, it enables some special effects as the "toon shading".

However, the main reason is that I cannot help myself. I love optimizations Smile Trying to get the maximal effects from the minimal resources is a challenge which adds a very special kind of fun into the modding process. Everything is optimized - number of triangles, used texture space (in both textures and skins), vertices are carefully distributed to minimize problems of the Goraud shading and a lot of shading is drawn directly into the textures. Therefore, I am not planning any extensive subdivisions, but yes, there are some places which will probably get more polygons in the future Smile (currently working on a geometry update of my Hadimrska mod).

Thanks for the feedback Smile
Yeah I got the Lemon eureka the other day. Because in France we pronounce Citro-en or citro-hein. But yeah citron is lemon in french too!
I am always amazed to see the De Funes success abroad. I think about him at so much french tipical but his acting was so much visual that it worked in many other countries.
On low poly and deformation you are totally right some high poly mods are very ugly after contact.
Update: added a playable movie version and upgraded the engine according to contemporary 1959 sport modifications by Ricou (the previous engine was based on Connaught conversion, which was considerably slower)
Attached images
fantomas07.jpg
This old car is greatOmg omg omgWinkThumbs upThumbs up
Thanks Smile

Update:
Suspension and wheel alignment have been updated according to technical drawings and repair manuals. The update improved handling and removed an unwanted force-feedback jerk caused by potholes and grass. An accidentally found bug enabled a visual improvement of headlights (when more than one texture is used for light mappings, the lights can "switch" between two overlay modes) as can be seen in the picture. From the top: the old shading, the current shading and the current shading with a damaged headlight.
Attached images
id_progress_8.jpg
I gave it go yesterday at Fe Rallycross it is fun!
I don't know how do you that cel shading effect but it looks nice.
Thanks Smile
Quote from loopingz :I don't know how do you that cel shading effect but it looks nice.

I have wrapped the car body in a larger black car body with flipped normals. Originally used this technique to recreate the Lemon Adieu from "The French Dispatch" movie and "The Adventures of Tintin" comics to have some online gangster chases with my friend Big grin

Lemon Fantomas
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG