The online racing simulator
#1 - mdmx
Fast and furious sprint racing events - would u like them?
Hello.. this is an inquiry if there are other interested beond me about this kind of racing. All of these are suggestions, and if you have any kind of comments, ideas, suggestions or questions please reply.

-- INTRODUCTION --

Allmost all leagues are more or less endurance, meaning races are LONG, and you have to drive smoothly and avoid mistakes. Now, that is ok, and that is what track racing mostly is. But personally i also like short fast races, where you can try to make a little bit more dangerous passes, and take more risks. No need to drive in the rear bumber for 10 laps and wait for passing opportunity. To me it's more entertaining.

My idea is allmost an opposite to endurance. There would be several short (like 3-5 laps) sprint race starts in one event.

Ok, so there would be an event day with multiple starts. Only a few cars in one starts, maybe 4 or 5 or so. The time does not matter, the position you finish will. Everyone have to drive multiple starts, so each driver drives once against everyone. Then, points are given from each start according to finish position. This also means, everyone have to start at least once from each grid position. So no qualify is needed.

If you want to win the event, you have to be able to drive from last grid to the victory in a few laps.. or maybe not, if anyone else isn't doing it either. The point is, you have to be fast AND you have to be able to make fast and impressive passes. This means a lot more intensive and tighter racing than in long races where you sometimes are alone in your lap. It also means more mistakes will happen, so if you want to win you will have to be able to take controlled risks, make very fast decisions, and dodge the ones who aren't able to do it and spin/crash in front/side of you.

Of course a little bit luck is needed, but good drivers allways have some. And when driving multiple starts, luck factor is reduced dramatically. It's better to finish every race at second position than win one and finish at last on others.

This wouldn't be just a new type of season, but also a new type of racing. Also single events can (and would) be organized.

If you are still interested, keep reading...

Firstly, im not starting a season yet. A couple "beta events" HAVE to be organized before we can even consider a season. Too see how this goes on practice. And i know there are some issues, but i think i can work them all out.

-- HOW THE EVENT IS EXECUTED --

So, everyone drives against everyone. This means, if there is 16 cars and 4 car in a start, there will be 5 starts for everyone. This means everyone starts from each grid once. Then the grid position of fifth start is determined by the amount of points acquired from the preceding four starts. So no qualify is needed at all. The key to the succeed from the start is finish position, not the time. Amount of points gained from the one start maybe (1. 3points, 2. 2points, 3. 1points, 4. no points). These can be adjusted later.. those affects pretty much to the strategy needed in starts. If first place is worth of two second places, winning the start were you are on the pole position is more important than ability to pass your way from the last grid to the second place for example.

After the five rounds are driven, there will be some kind of finals. Maybe a four best drivers will drive two rounds, grid position is based on points at first round. At second round it could be reversed grid order. So again, you have to be able to drive fast AND make fast passes if you want to win the finals.

Then, when driving a season, season points are given according to final position. Position of four best drivers are determined in the final round, position of others is based to the event points.

-- CARS AND TRACKS --

I was thinking that the events should be in short open tracks, where is some room to pass. Both tracks, rallyX and tarmac are included in the season. You can choose your car in the begin, and you will have to drive every event with the same car, including the rallyX and tarmac races.

The allowed cars may be GTT, FXO and RB4. At the begin at least.. different car classes can be added if there are enough interest and racers. Maybe a tarmac only league with GTR cars. Maybe a karting league with formulas..

-- TECHINAL ISSUES --

-- AREA OF EVENT APPLICATION --

Ok, in real world on this kind of events all competitors are on the area of event, waiting for their own starts and maybe watching others. First issue is, what is the "area of event". I really don't like the idea of 30 competitors sitting on LFS server when only four of them are driving at the time. That would cause too much hazzle.

So, we need somekind of application that is our "area of event". Which gathers all competitors to the one place, and shows real-time info of what is happening and when is my turn to drive etc..

Following features required pops in to my mind:

- firstly, all competitors have to login into it

- it must be linked to server via InSim. We can use LFSSpectator, so every competitor (and maybe specators?) is able to see how other starts are going on real-time.

- there must be some kind of chat

- there must be real-time updating results of each starts, and list showing incoming starts. when you are logged in, you can see when you have to drive. also a overall results of the event are visible, and every other statistic info you will want to see.

- then, when it's your turn to drive, a button or link or whatever which starts the game and connects directly to the correct server. The password of server may be automatically changing to the every start, and the password is included in the button/link, so only drivers who are driving in the particular start knows the password.

So, in practice it goes like this:

You login to the application when the event is starting. In there you easily see when it's your turn to drive. Then you can chat with others, watch the rounds with LFSSpectator, or go watch tv or make dinner or whatever you want to. Just be sure you are on your computer when it's your time to drive! Maybe some kind of alarm is good, you computer starts to yell when it's your turn.

Then, finally when it's your turn, the magic "LFS launcher button" is enabled and when you click it you will go directly to the correct server. The grid order have to be organized manually i think, every competitor have to join in the right order. An InSim app can take care of this, it will tell the grid order, and will not start the race until the order is correct. Maybe one human race-leader is required on the server, maybe an InSim app can take care of everything, dunno yet.

Then you drive the round, and after everyone is finished you will leave the server and go back to the "Area of event" -application. Then you start waiting your next start, and so on... InSim app can make sure everyone leaves the server when round is ended (kicks them out).

When all rounds are drove, finalists are calculated by the application. Then each of them uses the same magic button to drive.

-- HOWTO DO THE APPLICATION --

Mkay, it's obvious that we need a one server and client for every competitor. With the client, competitor logins to the server and we are ready to rock'n'roll.

Currently im between two different implementations. First one is web-portal, with some java applets. In the web-server there is a some kind of database which keeps tracks on each results etc..

Advantages:

- Competitors do not have to download any client application, web-server is enough.

Disadvantages:

- It's hard to set up a new server, web-server is needed.
- realtime updating gui is not that good

Second choice is two windows applications, client and server.

Advantages:

- It's easy to everone for set up a new server. Just start the server application and make some configuration
- It's possible to design better GUI, which updates realtime immetiadely when something happens.

Disadvantages:

- Every competitor need to download the client application

Personally i prefer windows application over the web-portal. And for me it's easier to implement, coz i know the Win32 api like my own pockets (working as software engineer for 6 year now).

What i like to know is, are you interested in that kind of racing? I can implement the applications, if enough people are interested to race like this. Also i will release those apps as freeware, so everyone can arrange a sprint events easily. Maybe even a some kind of "main server" would be cool, so you can start a public "sprintracing server", and everyone can search those with their own clients, and join.

Duh, have to take it easy. First step will be see if you are interested. If you are, i will wrote some kind of beta apps to see if this actually works in practice. Then a few individual beta event are arraged. Then maybe we can start a league...

Now, do you got any comments, suggestions, questions, anything about this? Or are you willing to help me in some (any) way?
#2 - kalle
I like the idea .

Though I think that best suitable cars for this would be the slower ones like GTi/GT and UF1000. You can't avoid small touches in such a short race and if the cars would be formulas, small touch and the race is over for those who are involved because high speed of the cars. Slower cars are much more forgiving in those situations.
I like this idea too... Actually... I like it a *lot*.
Personally, I'd prefer a combination of webportal and Win32 apps, simply because if one goes down the drain, you don't lose out on the entire experience.

I've been thinking of doing a live-timing thing for races just like this in Java, but I'm totally inexperienced in Java (have some Delphi experience from years back though).

I'd be more than willing to help out... I was an ESCORS race admin way back when we were doing NR2002S, so I have some experience in setting up and running leagues. If you would like to work out this idea and put in a Word file we could work on that. Leave me a PM with your email and I'll contact you.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG