The online racing simulator
Pluto no more..
(129 posts, started )
Pluto no more..
Well, as of today the scientist society (whichever that would be) has decided to remove pluto from the list of planets

and just a little info; since it was discovered 76 years ago, it has only traveled 30% of its full orbit
So after today...if I want to go and visit my parents...I might need visa or something because it's not planet any more?

Someone who's parents live futher might help me with travelling advise
It's quite sad news, I was strangely attached to that little distant planet, although I never visited. Due to the hubble telescope they've discovered 20 bigger lumps of ice circling the sun slightly more worthy of planet status but felt we could not take there suddenly being 29 planets circling our sun, so sadly Pluto and the other lumps of ice get demoted to dwarf planet status.
Jeez, a load of guys get paid good money for sorting out this crap!
Quote from al heeley :Jeez, a load of guys get paid good money for sorting out this crap!

Are you jealous?

If not...you have to have better job than those guys
I have considered the arguments and propose that Pluto is reclassified as an asteroid. Thanks that will be £50,000 and a weeks' free conference privilages in Geneva. Ta very much!

Yes I'm jealous. Bitter. Cynical. Jaded.
#6 - Dumpy
I was sort of hoping they would promote Pluto's moon Charon to dwarf planet status as well, creating a binary planet system - that would have been pretty cool. It does make sense to reclassify Pluto and the other objects like it though as they are not only so small, but also completely different in composition compared to the four terrestrial planets or the four gas giants. It's good that it's settled now since there was actually no official scientific definition of "planet" before.
#7 - jtr99
Al, I don't know if this helps, but the money's really not that good. (Not a planetary scientist but have been known to get cheap thrills out of conference junkets.)
It's all part of the US administration's Galactic War on Terror. Strip Pluto of "planet" status and classify it as a "rogue asteroid" and you can unilaterally impose a friendly puppet government and extract its mineral wealth with no objections from the UN
Quote from Hankstar :It's all part of the US administration's Galactic War on Terror. Strip Pluto of "planet" status and classify it as a "rogue asteroid" and you can unilaterally impose a friendly puppet government and extract its mineral wealth with no objections from the UN

ROFL
TBH I was waiting for this to happen. Gotta love the Kupiter belt.
That sucks, I think we should start a hunger strike to Bring Pluto Back, and Name it something godly, like Scavier.. :P
As the Planets Turn.
Quote from XCNuse :Well, as of today the scientist society (whichever that would be) has decided to remove pluto from the list of planets

and just a little info; since it was discovered 76 years ago, it has only traveled 30% of its full orbit

Mickey mouse was clearly a Mouse.....and Pluto was either a dog or a planet....Now it's been defined ...Pluto is a Dog..I got one question...WTF is Goofy?
So many Posts , so Little Time
Quote from Dumpy :I was sort of hoping they would promote Pluto's moon Charon to dwarf planet status as well, creating a binary planet system - that would have been pretty cool. It does make sense to reclassify Pluto and the other objects like it though as they are not only so small, but also completely different in composition compared to the four terrestrial planets or the four gas giants. It's good that it's settled now since there was actually no official scientific definition of "planet" before.

You need a girl friend...or a Boyfriend...or a bright colored ball just to distract you...... from Blowing the world up.

Easy Big Guy.
Quote from MorroW :So after today...if I want to go and visit my parents...I might need visa or something because it's not planet any more?

Someone who's parents live futher might help me with travelling advise

Your Net.Passport has expired.
I was reading that even tho they have declassified it as a planet they will still call it a planet due to historical importance..

Kinda like calling Europe a continent due to historical importance even though Europe and Asia are one continent called Eurasia...

I cant wait for the first Pluto flyby in on July 14th 2015 though, when a New Horizons spacecraft makes a pass.... already excited!!!!:hyper:

mad
#16 - CSU1
Quote from Hankstar :It's all part of the US administration's Galactic War on Terror. Strip Pluto of "planet" status and classify it as a "rogue asteroid" and you can unilaterally impose a friendly puppet government and extract its mineral wealth with no objections from the UN

Muaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahauahuahuhaaha!
@atomant; lol... goofy is a dog too (no seriously lol) he really is a dog, people are still trying to figure out why he can talk and walk and do all this other stuff while his dog pluto can't
Quote from XCNuse :@atomant; lol... goofy is a dog too (no seriously lol) he really is a dog, people are still trying to figure out why he can talk and walk and do all this other stuff while his dog pluto can't

he can talk cuz hes from pluto
Quote from Bob Smith :TBH I was waiting for this to happen. Gotta love the Kupiter belt.

Isn't it called the kiper belt not kupiter

Well this is going to mean all school text books being re-written and all those rhymes you learn as children need to be re-done as theres no pluto
Damn those planet scientist people damn them to hell, cant they see the trouble they have caused

Aaahahah, please stop, my sides hurt. You've actually had me laughing out loud with that one
What? Pluto was a planet? I've always thought Pluto was Mickey Mouse's dog.
Quote from Forbin :Nope, you're both wrong.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=KBOs

The Kuiper (pronounced Ki-Per) Belt

Pronounced Ki-Per?! WHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA... No...
I suppose that's as close as english speakers will ever get to pronouncing the 'ui' letter combination, though.

As for the IAU declaring pluto no longer a planet... Nobody in the actual astronomical world takes them seriously anymore. They spent 2 years discussing this one issue, and finally come up with a solution... Pluto and 3 more rocks will be classified as planets. 2 weeks later, they decide that pluto no longer IS a planet... Every decision they make is reversed within a month.
Quote from TagForce :I suppose that's as close as english speakers will ever get to pronouncing the 'ui' letter combination, though.

Lets laugh at english speakers :hihi:
But IMO 'wee' comes relativly close to 'ui'

Pluto no more..
(129 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG