The online racing simulator
LFS Editor Test Patch 0.7B4 (now B12)
(15 posts, closed, started )
NOTE: OFFICIAL VERSION 0.7C IS NOW AVAILABLE

WARNING: THIS IS A TEST

Hello Racers,

Here is a new EDITOR test patch: 0.7B12

It is fully compatible with the existing editor and LFS. The changes are listed below.

Please back up or rename your LFS_EDITOR.exe so you can revert to it if necessary.

Changes from EDITOR 0.7B5 to 0.7B12:

Minor update - really just a test after merging LFS updates
Text entry system language support was improved in LFS
Better alignment of entry screen buttons
Smaller LFS logo on entry screen

Changes from EDITOR 0.7B4 to 0.7B5:

You can use the mouse to click where you want to type in dialog

Changes from EDITOR 0.7A2 to 0.7B4:

New selected text system:

If text dialog is initialised the text is shown as selected
Selected text will be replaced by the next character entered
Use left/right arrow or home/end if you want to edit the text
Right click slider initialises dialog with the current value
Use CTRL+A to select all text in the dialog (e.g. to delete)
NOTE: There is no partial selection - it's all or nothing

Modeller:

Triangles that span two cutouts are detected - message shows index
New button in tri mode "index" - select triangle by entering index
Faster generation of wireframe when you click the 'wire' button
FIX: Error "It doesn't matter what image is on the selected skin"
FIX: OBJ file import can now handle infinite or nan vertex values

Vehicle editor:

FIX: Engine sound names are now limited to ASCII character set
FIX: Animation names now limited to ASCII and the correct length
FIX: Confusing message when texture limit was slightly exceeded

INSTALLATION:

A FULL version of LFS_EDITOR 0.7A must already be installed

Extract the contents of this zip file to your LFS_EDITOR folder
Check that you see 0.7B12 at the bottom of the entry screen

DOWNLOAD:

EDITOR PATCH 0.7A TO 0.7B12 (If you already have 0.7A)
EDIT: Link removed - official version is now available (1.3 MB)
I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended. When I model something in the "build" mode, half of the triangles always end up facing the wrong direction. Even when I use a fixed viewport - like for example Back - the half of the triangles will still end up facing Front. Am I missing something about the way how this is supposed to work?
Quote from Amynue :I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended. When I model something in the "build" mode, half of the triangles always end up facing the wrong direction. Even when I use a fixed viewport - like for example Back - the half of the triangles will still end up facing Front. Am I missing something about the way how this is supposed to work?

It depends how you select points. Clockwise will build trangle facing away and selecting points anticlockwise will build them facing you (or other way around i forgot). It is a weird feature that slows down modeling rather than speeds it up but i dont really use LFS editor to model so cant say much.
Quote from Drifteris :It depends how you select points. Clockwise will build trangle facing away and selecting points anticlockwise will build them facing you (or other way around i forgot). It is a weird feature that slows down modeling rather than speeds it up but i dont really use LFS editor to model so cant say much.

Oh, so I was missing something... but how could I know. I still feel like it would be more convenient and faster if the triangles would be created facing the direction of the camera.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.

One more thing I have problem with: Is it possible to make headlights work on a subobject? I want to mount headlights on "Mudguards" subobject, but they seem to only work on the "Main" object. When I create a new mapping on a subobject, the editor even shows the list of the "l_xxx" names, as if they were supposted to work there, but they don't. I see a few of the bike mods don't have working lights in the front because of that since they are either on the Steering Wheel or Mudguard subobject.
Updated to B5.

I noticed that with the new selected text system it was very tempting to try to deselect the selected text by using the mouse, which didn't work. So now you can click in a text dialog to position the text cursor.
Is there a way to go past this? I do have a Trailing Arm subobject, so I'm not sure what does the editor want me to do.
Attached images
b35132ref03[1]_cr.png
It just doesn't exist as a suspension type.

Proper trailing arm was added as it was important for the rear suspension of a bike. But trailing arm for front suspension is more complicated because of the steering.

There will have to be a steering object rotating around the steering axis and then that object will need another trailing arm object connected to it that rotates on its own (horizontal) axis.

So (without having any knowledge of which vehicle you are trying so simulate) it might be best to to with linear suspension or some other suspension.
Quote from Scawen :So (without having any knowledge of which vehicle you are trying so simulate) it might be best to to with linear suspension or some other suspension.

Citroen 2CV, which has trailing arms at the front and the back.
http://blogs.youwheel.com/2014/06/12/automobile-suspension-design-101-part-ii/

There is one more fictional vehicle with trailing arms in the front similar to that Citroen (but much longer) which I would like to do.

Since "Trailing Arm" suspension shows up in the front suspension type selection list, I assumed it should work.

Is there any hope that it will be added anytime soon?
I love those cars. My mother used to have one when she lived in the Netherlands and I used to drive it. Big grin

OK, that 'trailing arm' although it's really a 'leading arm' I guess, is different from the one I described. The type I described was used on the Velorex car that inspired the Hadraplan. In this case of course the steering axis is mounted on the trailing arm, rather than the other way round.

That won't be added any time soon as I'm kind of finished *for now* with the mods system.

A reasonable approximation for now would be linear suspension, as it will go up and down without changing the wheel's camber relative to the car.
2CV deusch or deudeusch had mass damper in suspension before it was a thing in formula 1...
Quote from Scawen :That won't be added any time soon as I'm kind of finished *for now* with the mods system.

Oh ok, thanks for the reply.

Would it be hard to add a virtual mirror as a mapping? You know - a mirror which doesn't reflect the car model and only shows what's behind. Many modern vehicles have LCD screens as rearview mirrors, similar to backup cameras.
I'm working on that "other vehicle" with trailing arm suspension in the front and it could really use that kind of mirror.
Quote from Amynue :Would it be hard to add a virtual mirror as a mapping? You know - a mirror which doesn't reflect the car model and only shows what's behind. Many modern vehicles have LCD screens as rearview mirrors, similar to backup cameras.

Well... it would be a lot easier than the current stereoscopic 3D mirror system! But it would be quite a system, with some new features like the ability to set camera positions and field of view, etc. I know a lot of people want this feature and I would like to do it, but it's another other of those things that is harder to do right now as all the changes would have to be done in both the current version and the development version. So at this point it's best to get on with the tyre physics so we can get back to a single version.

I've updated the editor to a new B12 version. It's a minor update - really just a test after merging all the recent LFS updates.

Text entry system language support was improved in LFS
Better alignment of entry screen buttons
Smaller LFS logo on entry screen

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/97865
I cant download anything hosted on i3d. Scawen check my thread
Thanks, I have emailed Victor about that.
Thank you for the testing!

Official version 0.7C is now available!
This thread is closed

(15 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG