The online racing simulator
The really BIG problem with mods [In Assetto Corsa]
These figures do not count Kunos DLC, they count these cars, the Kunos ones, as original content, even though they are downloaded from Kunos after being paid for.
There were 3641 servers online at11.15 PM AEST 15 Mar 2022, with 735 that need no DLC, meaning 2906 need DLC, meaning only 20% of servers do not need DLC. I have 1254 cars, and 534 tracks, of which 178 are original cars, and 21 are original tracks, so I have 1076 DLC cars, and 513 DLC tracks. All of the DLC I have is free. I got it by being a member of Race Department, or it was downloaded from online in the game for free, or given by 3rd party developers from their websites for free.
I have 341 GB of cars minus 24.7 GB of Kunos cars is 316.3 GB of cars, and 161 GB of tracks minus 10.6 GB of Kunos tracks is 150.4 GB of tracks, making a total of 466.7 GB of DLC, making the game a total of 512.7 GB.
By the time I remove servers with no players, no paid DLC, that are not doing drifting, with no password, that are doing races with laps, and have a ping of less than 300, I get left with 12 servers I can join IN THE WHOLE WORLD. See attached pic.
Attached images
Untitled.jpg
Your point is?
You don't see that as a problem? It's no longer a racing game, it's a show off your mods platform where sometimes old farts like me go to race cars, and third party mod makers get more money than the devs who made the game. And if I count my personal preference for six speed H pattern cars, the number is down to two choices, the Lotus, and the MX5. The Ford Transit is a dodgy mod that you can't see out of the front window.
-
(Kahn62) DELETED by Kahn62
Tragic Na-na
" It's no longer a racing game " I hear this everyday ! ( How great it used to be )
I came here to play a racing sim , I have only been here less than a year BUT, I don't see much racing. IS more like a meet and great look at my skin environment. The chat is out of control ! Such language and hate should not be allowed anywhere!
The mods are pretty , but what does that have to do with racing?

The established servers with the same regulars are running most times, but, they are not friendly to newer players and have little patience to offer help. ( Which I would think would create MORE licensed racers)
So if it used to be that great ..what happened? What changed that it is not ? AND what can we all do to help it be great again !
Sorry to rant but I feel better !
Quote from ALFSRACER :" It's no longer a racing game " I hear this everyday ! ( How great it used to be )
I came here to play a racing sim , I have only been here less than a year BUT, I don't see much racing. IS more like a meet and great look at my skin environment. The chat is out of control ! Such language and hate should not be allowed anywhere!
The mods are pretty , but what does that have to do with racing?

The established servers with the same regulars are running most times, but, they are not friendly to newer players and have little patience to offer help. ( Which I would think would create MORE licensed racers)
So if it used to be that great ..what happened? What changed that it is not ? AND what can we all do to help it be great again !
Sorry to rant but I feel better !

You dont see much racing because u demo jajajaja
Agh! I see part of the problem now ! ( Why would I pay for S3 to host 5 servers? This is our host account silly rabbit ! )
You failed to notice, ALFSRACER, that I was talking about another game. About the problems I have in AC, because of all of the mods that they have. I often have a choice of zero games there, out of four thousand servers. AC is almost over though, so I am looking around for something else. The phys here is good, and the game runs fast on my PC. I just don't want LFS to become another LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO game with no-one driving. Including backups of the DLC zips that I have, there's little change from a 1TB drive, for one game. It's a bit much I think. I think LFS policy of vetting the mods, before they let them in the game is wise, and I was giving them backhanded praise for it.
PS, I have thrown away over two hundred poorly made cars as well. Who needs that sea-rap.
How many people made mods for AC, and have never even driven them? Every single FWD, AWD and 4WD mod is fundamentally broken, and cannot be repaired in AC, because it does not have, and I'll say it again, a FWD engine. Every car in AC is a RWD live axle car model with skins to make it LOOK like something it can never be. I know someone IRL who OWNS Godzilla. I made him drive the Godzilla mod, and we both laughed for hours about it. I've been a passenger in it, and he demonstrated the benefits and flaws of it to me. He has "flogged" this car for decades, literally, and rebuilt it a lot too. He knows it inside and out. We still laugh about it, every time one of us thinks about it, to this day. Do you want a broken mod like that in your game, I hope not, but the whores at AC did not care, as long as it moved, and looked the part nothing was said or done.
Half a terabyte for a single game is pure insanity.

For years I've been fine with 250GB drive, then 500GB, enough for all my photos archive and work data. Then I started working with large datasets, where one file of 2-4GB was processed and temporarily stored several times, making one project be 20-30 GB. Then I had to remove parts of photos archive (they were stored on backup drives), but the next 1TB drive, bought in 2020, was more than enough.
I had Assetto at around 350-400GB once. Used about 1/10 of the mods I downloaded lol

Content Manager is absolutely amazing and keeps Assetto as still one of the top contending sims.
Quote from Kahn62 :How many people made mods for AC, and have never even driven them? Every single FWD, AWD and 4WD mod is fundamentally broken, and cannot be repaired in AC, because it does not have, and I'll say it again, a FWD engine. Every car in AC is a RWD live axle car model with skins to make it LOOK like something it can never be

...you have absolutely no idea how mods for AC are made, right? Everything you wrote there is 100% wrong
If someone want's to race in Assetto, just install SimRacing System app and singup for a race like in iRacing and other titles with similar system.

Maybe it's mods show of but it's the only sim that allows u to make
- 4 wheel steering
- active All Wheel Drive System
- Active locking diffs
- hybrid cars even if u want petrol power on the rear wheels, and only electric on the front wheels u can to it!
- many other things especialy for simulating road car especialy if u can program lua files
- have a lot of support with modding
- full version of content manager allows u to compress all content and save 75% on ur drive
- full rain conditions with dynamic dry line etc (mod)

Many mods are just "photo mods" but there's still mods based on real data and I can give u list of mod creators who doing that.
If u have content manager u can easly unpack data files, check graphs of suspension etc...

Of couse there's big downsides like:
- physics that just turn off if u slow down to about 3kph
- lack of better launcher from Kunos
- content downloading system
- skin selecting when joining the server (host needs to pin skin to ur nick if u want to use specific one)
- some other thing that feels like "We don't know how to desing a game, so we make physics engine"
Quote from ACCAkut :...you have absolutely no idea how mods for AC are made, right? Everything you wrote there is 100% wrong

The list of things I don't know is HUGE, but one of the things I do know is FWD cars on dirt, and there's simply NONE of that anywhere in AC. Whatever they say their product does, it's just not true. There's not a single car in the game that gives me that point and squirt dirt driving experiance like I get IRL, in CM Rally, and in LFS. That's something I KNOW.
My friend, in the late eighties, explained it to me like this. "You come into the corner, WAY TOO FAST, you brake WAY TOO LATE, and then you point the front wheels where you want the car to go and accelerate WAY TOO HARD." He had been doing off road rally for a decade, as a hobby, and was quite good at it. I got some barrels, on a flat piece of grass, and scared myself s#!tless for a while. My decade and a half of RWD driving was screaming from the back of my mind, "STOP YOU MADMAN, you can't do that", but do it the little car did, lap after lap on my safe little "barrel racing" course. It was amazing, and left me in total awe of the rally drivers who do that with gum trees a foot wide all around them. That's what I want to have in a driving game, not a thousand identical feeling cars that just LOOK like they should. That's why I'm here, trialing LFS, in the faint hope that I can convince my flatmate to give this game a try. He has a rig identical to mine, and he won't try it "because there's no-one playing it". Why should he free up some HDD space for LFS, when he has other games with people on them? (Mostly FPS games, but he does drive a bit).
WTF
Do u even know that Assetto Corsa is TARMAC sim?
There's no dirt support at all. All Dirt Tracks are very variable quality and u need very specific tyres to specific track to make it feel... Aceptable. U can't do realistic off-road/gravel feel because it's not a game desinged for that.
Quote from versiu :WTF
Do u even know that Assetto Corsa is TARMAC sim?
There's no dirt support at all. All Dirt Tracks are very variable quality and u need very specific tyres to specific track to make it feel... Aceptable. U can't do realistic off-road/gravel feel because it's not a game desinged for that.

I do in fact know that. Did you know, that you don't have to be on the dirt to get that feeling. It's just a descriptive term that people can understand to describe what I mean. That is why, in my opinion, they don't support dirt, it would point out the inadequacies of their engine.
Quote from Kahn62 :I do in fact know that. Did you know, that you don't have to be on the dirt to get that feeling. It's just a descriptive term that people can understand to describe what I mean. That is why, in my opinion, they don't support dirt, it would point out the inadequacies of their engine.

Lol that's not even your feeling, AC has no off-road code. But that's no reason for you to spew dimwitted nonsense.

And "feeling" is the worst way to judge a racing sim, if you're after accuracy you need to go by empirical data. AC with the add-ons CSP brings can be extremely accurate, RFactor2 could probably be even better, but it's physics system is so complicated that no one really knows how to make anything in it.
As LFS has a closed off tire system, and suspension that doesn't even allow for inclined wishbones... these days I would not put it high in the realism department. Still great to race in, but not to replicate any real car.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG