The online racing simulator
race admin
(5 posts, started )
race admin
greetings,

i just had this idea and would like to hear some opinions on it:

since most everybody complains about common bad driver behavior (the dreaded T1 scenes) on public servers why not establish a race schedule where teams who host servers provide an admin to keep things clean? that obviously requires a sacrifice of time of the individual admin since he won't race himself. but even if an admin volunteers for only an hour, if one would know when he is on and cares about fair driving then this server will surely receive some influx. if a couple of people volunteer some time per week then throughout the week one would have the possibility to race on a clean server. these servers, i simply assume, would be reasonably populated which would also have the side effect that drivers would get the benefit of some education regarding driving rules, behaviour etc.

if this schedule is published in a thread then everyone who cares can have a look and knows when and where an admin is on duty. i think that would be a fairly painless and easy way to improve the quality of races and establish the participating server/team as a contributing part of the community.

since i obviously won't expect anyone to watch over races for an hour/s i hereby volunteer to do just that if anyone wants me to.

regards
#2 - CSU1
Quote from BlueSkunk :greetings,

i just had this idea and would like to hear some opinions on it:

since most everybody complains about common bad driver behavior (the dreaded T1 scenes) on public servers why not establish a race schedule where teams who host servers provide an admin to keep things clean? that obviously requires a sacrifice of time of the individual admin since he won't race himself. but even if an admin volunteers for only an hour, if one would know when he is on and cares about fair driving then this server will surely receive some influx. if a couple of people volunteer some time per week then throughout the week one would have the possibility to race on a clean server. these servers, i simply assume, would be reasonably populated which would also have the side effect that drivers would get the benefit of some education regarding driving rules, behaviour etc.

if this schedule is published in a thread then everyone who cares can have a look and knows when and where an admin is on duty. i think that would be a fairly painless and easy way to improve the quality of races and establish the participating server/team as a contributing part of the community.

since i obviously won't expect anyone to watch over races for an hour/s i hereby volunteer to do just that if anyone wants me to.

regards

+1
You could do like a "Master" where you hit shift+F4 and have a small window of say a dozen servers watching over all them little sim racers.
A bit OTT. but a good one none the less
I think it's a good concept, but will prove to be impossible to commit to in long term. I can't see admin schedules in LFS working very well because admins (probably) don't "work on LFS for x hrs per day every week". Initially it might work but when enthusiasm for the job becomes a chore, I think it'll die off rapidly.
Most high level or compentant teams do have an admin on their public servers at some point, it's just a case of too many servers and not enough time. Regardless of schedules, I'll just race where the people already are.
good points.

@ angry angel:
personally i'd rather race on a 6 people server where everyone drives fair than on a 23 people server which is a crash-fest.

i'm driving pretty much daily but don't notice any real efforts to encourage people to drive properly. kick-voteing and bad language are pretty much the only actions that are being taken.

@notanillusion:
Quote :...but will prove to be impossible

so you have you tried that already? how did it work? an admin schedule can be something very flexible. for example i'm posting that tomorrow i'll be admin on server xyz from 2000 until 2200.

regarding volunteering:
lots of people spend endless hours skinning or improving setups for the benefit of others. therefore i'm quite certain that a fair number of people would actually volunteer as race judge/admin. certainly there are people out there who, instead of just whinging and complaining are also willing to do something.
-
(Goop) DELETED by Goop

race admin
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG