The online racing simulator
Can pages and skins in the editor use DDS instead of PNG/JPG? + Redlining Bug?
Two things I wanted to know:

When assigning textures in the vehicle editor, some textures are in DDS format. However, making pages and skins for vehicles requires me to have them in PNG format for textures and JPG format for skins. It won't let me use DDS format, which is a little bit annoying. Is there a way to use them? I've been converting each individual skin and texture to their correct format by using Paint.NET, but it'd be preferable to just use the DDS stuff straight-up, instead.

Also, there's a strange bug with modded vehicles. The tachometer's visual redline typically starts at where the actual engine redline is. But with most modded vehicles (but not all of them), the redline is earlier than the actual engine redline? For example, Rubie's Civic EK9 mod (VKI-6) has an engine redline of 9500 RPM. But the visual redline on the gauge actually starts at 9000. It's a minor thing, but what causes it? Or if I come across it on my own mod, how to fix it? For example, a car I'm working on has a redline of 8750 RPM, but the visual redline shows it going up to only like 8200 RPM for some reason, so the needle goes past the redline, or rather, a redline that is higher than it portrays.
#2 - Sobis
Quote from mrwallace888 :Also, there's a strange bug with modded vehicles. The tachometer's visual redline typically starts at where the actual engine redline is. But with most modded vehicles (but not all of them), the redline is earlier than the actual engine redline? For example, Rubie's Civic EK9 mod (VKI-6) has an engine redline of 9500 RPM. But the visual redline on the gauge actually starts at 9000. It's a minor thing, but what causes it? Or if I come across it on my own mod, how to fix it? For example, a car I'm working on has a redline of 8750 RPM, but the visual redline shows it going up to only like 8200 RPM for some reason, so the needle goes past the redline, or rather, a redline that is higher than it portrays.

FIY, I'm not sure if this can be called a bug. Rev limiter does not have to stick to tachometer's red line? Check FBM, it revs a little over the red line.
What I don't get mostly is why the redline uses such strange increments. I took the XRG which has a redline of 7000 and decreased it to like 6999. And then all of a sudden it thinks the redline is 6200 RPM (especially when I turn on 5-step tachometer). Like the fact it drops that low seems oddly specific.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/97151
Just no. DDS is a proprietary and very specific file format for DirectX. And that's where it belongs. In the memory.

Every interaction with the outside world should take place in a user-friendly file-format that the whole world can handle. I don't even know of any program that natively allows editing of DDS files.

If the game would ever get support for OpenGL (just kidding), then all your DDSs would become totally worthless.

However, if there is a sensible upgrade do make, then it's changing JPGs for PNGs. Because of the quality loss and the lack of an alpha channel. But I guess, they're afraid of the file-sizes, dunno.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG