The online racing simulator
okay, now that's quite magic Big grin

easy fix for now, but I dont know how to test this kind of irregularity to check whether this problem exist or already gone
Attached images
lfs_00000044.png
lfs_00000059.png
Quote from ivancsx :quite strange about the side mapping things, FYI I started this car mod from LX6 base (since I initially planned to make LX6 GTR at first

Thanks for the info! Interesting that the left side mapping is because you started from the LX6 model base.

The LX6 is an unusual model, because it is built with points and triangles on the left side, which are then mirrored to the right side. I think only the LX and XF models are built this way.

So in their case, the main side mapping is from the left, because it's less conceptually confusing, when the 'main' cutout is on the side where the mapping and its triangles are, and the 'opposite' cutout is on the opposite side.

But your MRG mesh has the usual right side points and triangles, so that's how it gets a bit confusing with the main mapping from the left.

Anyway, I don't think it's related to the "left side flipped texture first time load in garage" bug while I'll look at this morning. Smile
Quote from ivancsx :okay, now that's quite magic Big grin

easy fix for now, but I dont know how to test this kind of irregularity to check whether this problem exist or already gone

That looks good, judging from the screenshots. I may be able to report on the flip bug later when I understand it.

I think I am right to suggest that the cutouts "SIDE_RIGHT" and "SIDE_LEFT" should have their names swapped - but you can check by looking at the skin parts they refer to.
Quote from Scawen :That looks good, judging from the screenshots. I may be able to report on the flip bug later when I understand it.

I think I am right to suggest that the cutouts "SIDE_RIGHT" and "SIDE_LEFT" should have their names swapped - but you can check by looking at the skin parts they refer to.

yes, I have checked this and that's true, I mistaken which side that needs "flip:yes", but it's already fixed as per new update files now together with major car mechanical setups

Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the info! Interesting that the left side mapping is because you started from the LX6 model base.

The LX6 is an unusual model, because it is built with points and triangles on the left side, which are then mirrored to the right side. I think only the LX and XF models are built this way.

So in their case, the main side mapping is from the left, because it's less conceptually confusing, when the 'main' cutout is on the side where the mapping and its triangles are, and the 'opposite' cutout is on the opposite side.

But your MRG mesh has the usual right side points and triangles, so that's how it gets a bit confusing with the main mapping from the left.

Anyway, I don't think it's related to the "left side flipped texture first time load in garage" bug while I'll look at this morning. Smile

ahh, that's why the problem exist, in short, the position of cutout must be representing left or right side where the mesh started (the main ones, not the mirrored one), and yes, I've checked the original LX, that starts from left instead, that's why the cutout are positioned on the left side

I've clearly understand now, thanks a lot ! this will help me a lot when working for upcoming mods, really appreciate it Big grin
OK, as for the actual LFS 'bug' where the mappings swap side in the garage the first time loaded or when you select a new setup, I have found the reason for it.

I'm not yet sure if I can avoid it happening in the code, but I've found how you can prevent this bug appearing, with the MRG model, and Rubie can do it for the DORITO model.

The reason is that the SIDE mapping is also mapped to some top triangles, in the other LODs.

This can become a problem because LFS doesn't think that mapping can remain on one side only (because some of the TOP triangles go from one side across to the other, and are not confined to a single side of the car). OK, I'm still a bit vague about this, but if you see the attached screenshots, this can explain how you can fix it.

Simply, the triangles in the LOD meshes should also have the correct or appropriate mappings, or the reported bug (flipped texture in garage) can come up. This is still the case in the updated MRG (as it was really unrelated to the mapping corrections you did).

Please tell me if my explanation doesn't make enough sense.
Attached images
mrg_bug_1.jpg
mrg_bug_2.jpg
mrg_bug_3.jpg
Quote from Scawen :OK, as for the actual LFS 'bug' where the mappings swap side in the garage the first time loaded or when you select a new setup, I have found the reason for it.

I'm not yet sure if I can avoid it happening in the code, but I've found how you can prevent this bug appearing, with the MRG model, and Rubie can do it for the DORITO model.

The reason is that the SIDE mapping is also mapped to some top triangles, in the other LODs.

This can become a problem because LFS doesn't think that mapping can remain on one side only (because some of the TOP triangles go from one side across to the other, and are not confined to a single side of the car). OK, I'm still a bit vague about this, but if you see the attached screenshots, this can explain how you can fix it.

Simply, the triangles in the LOD meshes should also have the correct or appropriate mappings, or the reported bug (flipped texture in garage) can come up. This is still the case in the updated MRG (as it was really unrelated to the mapping corrections you did).

Please tell me if my explanation doesn't make enough sense.

I've just tested, and yes LHD still have this problems, let me do quick fix for this one

just curious, if LOD3 are used only for collision, why it affect skins map on LOD1 on garage menu? does skins map are also linked in between LODs?
Quote from ivancsx :if LOD3 are used only for collision

It's not.

LOD3 is the 3rd level of visual detail.

It is *also* used for the collision mesh. Not *only* for the collision mesh.

I've explained this in the past a few times. Maybe we need it in the LFS Manual.

More information: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1979872#post1979872

EDIT: I see LOD is mentioned in the LFS Manual but I think it is not clear enough there, or actually misleading.
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/LFS_Editor_Guides#Level_of_detail_.28LOD.29_and_Shadow_.2F_Physics_.2F_Collision_meshes

EDIT2: I've updated the manual to explain more clearly about Levels of Detail and how it affects the model as it is drawn at increasing distance.
Quote from Scawen :It's not.

LOD3 is the 3rd level of visual detail.

It is *also* used for the collision mesh. Not *only* for the collision mesh.

I've explained this in the past a few times. Maybe we need it in the LFS Manual.

More information: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1979872#post1979872

EDIT: I see LOD is mentioned in the LFS Manual but I think it is not clear enough there, or actually misleading.
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/LFS_Editor_Guides#Level_of_detail_.28LOD.29_and_Shadow_.2F_Physics_.2F_Collision_meshes

EDIT2: I've updated the manual to explain more clearly about Levels of Detail and how it affects the model as it is drawn at increasing distance.

Ahh, that clearly explained why the mirrored skin problem still exist, that means LOD3 skins map are also linked with other LODs. That misleaded by me but it all clear now 👌

Aight, next time I need to be aware of that so the mirrored skin problem on garage menu wont be happen for my future mods, thanks a lot Big grin
hello, i had a problem testing the mod this morning. on a head-on collision, the front of the car went into the passenger compartment and my view was blocked by the deformed bodywork.
I also had the impression on the outside that the length of the car had reduced.

when i ran a solo race of GTR (including three mods) to see what would happen, the same thing happened with an AI that slightly hit the rear of the previous car. on the replay you can clearly see that it is unplayable in the inside view, while the AI continued the race quietly.

Thumbs up congratulations for this very cool mod which is very well balanced with the "basic" GTR
Attached images
lfs_00000201.jpg
Quote from Papator :hello, i had a problem testing the mod this morning. on a head-on collision, the front of the car went into the passenger compartment and my view was blocked by the deformed bodywork.
I also had the impression on the outside that the length of the car had reduced.

when i ran a solo race of GTR (including three mods) to see what would happen, the same thing happened with an AI that slightly hit the rear of the previous car. on the replay you can clearly see that it is unplayable in the inside view, while the AI continued the race quietly.

Thumbs up congratulations for this very cool mod which is very well balanced with the "basic" GTR

That's quite weird since I didnt have those result when had massive collision, but perhaps I'll do further checks on it, thanks for reporting those issue 😁
I noticed the same problem as Papator.
It happens randomly on crashes, the force of the impact does not seem to matter much. It can happen when lightly touching a wall, too.

The car's graphic stay messed up even after restarting the race with SHIFT+R.
(see screenshot: start light is red but car is already messed up)

A few other other cars have similiar problems, for example DORITO-GTO:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1983936#post1983936
Attached images
lfs_00000058.jpg
OK, the reason for this is known.

It's the same reason as that texture flipping bug above. This bug comes up when a SIDE mapping (with a main cutout and an opposite cutout) is wrongly applied to triangles that cross between both sides of the model. LFS can't deal with this situation. All it can do is avoid a program crash.

In Test Patch A7 you see this message in the garage: Cross-texture triangle found in LOD2 - mapping corrected

If you see this message, the model needs that fix for the mappings, described above. Otherwise it can get a flipped texture in the garage and you sometimes get the collision bug.

The correct way to set the mappings for LOD3 meshes is shown in Flame's post and my post here:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1985902#post1985902

And in the case of the MRG V8 I also saw the problem on the roof in the LOD2 mesh:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1985581#post1985581
Quote from Scawen :OK, the reason for this is known.

It's the same reason as that texture flipping bug above. This bug comes up when a SIDE mapping (with a main cutout and an opposite cutout) is wrongly applied to triangles that cross between both sides of the model. LFS can't deal with this situation. All it can do is avoid a program crash.

In Test Patch A7 you see this message in the garage: Cross-texture triangle found in LOD2 - mapping corrected

If you see this message, the model needs that fix for the mappings, described above. Otherwise it can get a flipped texture in the garage and you sometimes get the collision bug.

The correct way to set the mappings for LOD3 meshes is shown in Flame's post and my post here:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1985902#post1985902

And in the case of the MRG V8 I also saw the problem on the roof in the LOD2 mesh:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1985581#post1985581

just restored all my project from failing HDD, and yes, my bad that LOD2 have wrong maps, so collision bug occured

could anybody checks if it still exist? I had updated with corrected one, hopefully there's no issue anymore to this first scratch made directly from LFS Editor Big grin
I confirm the message doesn't appear, the texture doesn't flip when I change setup and when I crashed in game the collision bug didn't show up. So according to the theory that the collision mesh bug comes from this side mapping bug, that should mean it's fixed. Thumbs up
Very good ! i like this
Quote from ivancsx :could anybody checks if it still exist? I had updated with corrected one, hopefully there's no issue anymore to this first scratch made directly from LFS Editor Big grin

I know the MRG doesn't have this bug any more, but for information, I've now added editor support to detect any triangles causing this bug.

It's a lot better than only finding out about it when you load the model in LFS! Smile

You see a message like this: Error in LOD3 of model CAR_NAME: triangle with index 865 and 3 others span two cutouts

And there is an "index" button in tri mode so you can select triangle 865.

Editor B4: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/97865
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : no longer needed
-
(Eclipsed) DELETED by Scawen : no longer needed
Quote from Eclipsed :

Today we're racing this car in 64th RTFR XL (75+ minutes race)!

Full info: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/98363-64th-RTFR-XL

Sorry just read the thread here, thanks, I feel honoured my mod finally being used more for any league that being held...

As usual, please give me input for any irregularities i.e. bug or something that needed to improve 😄
love this car! a bit of a battle to get the nose to come in on turn in sometimes, but in that charming way where it's just the car letting you know you messed up and still have time to change your ways! since the latest update to this mod the understeer/oversteer tendencies have been removed from the default setup. It is easy to recover from either situation without causing a dangerous situation. one of my favourites in the GTR class for LFS
It's well made and a very fun car to drive!

MRG V8 GTR (and perhaps Road Version soon)
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG