The online racing simulator
Just a little question about upcoming LFS features and content
Hi there,

does anyone of you know if the dev's already work on some new features or some new content? i don't want to know what kind of features or content, i don't want to request something and i don't want another hype thread. Just a simple question: Do they already experiment with some real new features?

The reason why i ask that is because i thought about motivation, and i wouldn't be very motivated if i would "only" work on some small improvements all the day... atleast not if i would be one of the dev's. Because they have proven again and again that there biggest fascination is to set new standards for simracing. (i know there intention is "just" to develop the perfect racing simulation)

Greets,
Warper
They are working on getting S2 Final released and then they'll start experimenting wit S3 features i guess.
S2 Final will have features that we dont have in the Alpha version... hope that answers your question
I dont't know if that satisfies there minds...
#4 - joen
Quote from Warper :I dont't know if that satisfies there minds...

Some time ago when Scawen started working on the U test patches he said that he wants to fix some bugs and look into implementing some smaller things people have requested for first. The reason he gave for it that was that he wants to clear his mind so he can focus better on bigger updates after that.
But in the end I can only guess what's cooking in Scawen's kitchen (his lfs kitchen)

But yes, I assume that working on physics for example is more of a challenge for him, and therefore what he likes the best.
#5 - Vain
My roadmap of guesswork:
- One month of further testpatch-development
- Declare latest testpatch "Patch V" and make it official and required.
- Develop missing features:
Preload for LSD-diff, currect undertray downforce, different stats for different tyre-manufacturers, balance TBO and GTR class, include new GTR interiors
- Call this Patch W
- Develop features for beta:
AI improvements, GUI improvements, server-side options like "no shift+s" etc.
- Declare this LFS S2 Beta
- Fix any occuring bugs
- Declare this LFS S2 Final
- Spend a year developing S3 without telling anything about it's new features

Again, this is just guesswork, but it looks sensible.

Vain
sounds good to me Vain. but i'll stay off the forums for that year while they develop S3...

can you image how many people will be saying "any updates yet?" "what cars are you adding. etc, etc,!"

illepall
It's very hard to plan these things ahead. You can't know how long some things will take and what new things will come up.
#8 - axus
Quote from Vain :My roadmap of guesswork:
Preload for LSD-diff, currect undertray downforce, different stats for different tyre-manufacturers, balance TBO and GTR class, include new GTR interiors
- Call this Patch W
- Fix any occuring bugs

Again, this is just guesswork, but it looks sensible.

Vain

Based on what Scawen has been saying in the Test patch forum, I'd say that a part of the AI improvements will go into patch V. The pitting has to go with track updates so that'll be an incompatible patch. I'd also say that another 3 months on physics would be about right, and that should cover Beta, along with some more minor improvements. I'd say they're aiming for a Christmas S2 final release. After that, we'll probably get small fixes and parts of S3 as it develops.
#9 - Honey
well we know about scawen's work and iirc from the last interview, victor has or is going to start to work on another version of lfs-world not-desktop-based, what we don't know is what is doing eric, except bf1 and some very minor texture updates, he released nothing, so i really hope he almost finished S3 content, otherwise let's prepare to wait 5 years before first S3 alpha...

- Call this Patch W
- Fix any occuring bugs

Don't forget the engine temperature gauge which is the cars. I'd like to think that S2 final will see this operational, with an enhanced engine damage system that reflects any impacts or physical damage to the car (including things such as over-revving, etc). I'm sure I recall Scawen once saying he'd like to get it working in order to penalise careless driving (or words to that effect), as at the moment there's no penalty to your car if you twat into the back of someone under braking. Otherwise, I agree with your list in terms of things likely to be in S2, without being too pessimistic or optimistic.

Quote from Honey :well we know about scawen's work and iirc from the last interview, victor has or is going to start to work on another version of lfs-world not-desktop-based, what we don't know is what is doing eric, except bf1 and some very minor texture updates, he released nothing, so i really hope he almost finished S3 content, otherwise let's prepare to wait 5 years before first S3 alpha...

Scawen has said in the past that Eric is continuing to work on the modelling and artistic side of things, including a revamp of Kyoto, which just missed out on being included in the BF1 update. But Eric's work only tends to get released in huge chunks all at once, so we see less evidence of it day-to-day, then suddenly a big update or overhaul to something or somewhere.
I wonder what were the "meaty things" where Lord Scawen wanted to move on few (ok, guite many) test patches ago...
Quote from axus :Based on what Scawen has been saying in the Test patch forum, I'd say that a part of the AI improvements will go into patch V. The pitting has to go with track updates so that'll be an incompatible patch. I'd also say that another 3 months on physics would be about right, and that should cover Beta, along with some more minor improvements. I'd say they're aiming for a Christmas S2 final release. After that, we'll probably get small fixes and parts of S3 as it develops.

I agree with most things, although IMO S2 final will definitely not be out for christmas.
Quote from ebola :I agree with most things, although IMO S2 final will definitely not be out for christmas.

And here lies the secret of the so-called 'useless' language pack update a while back... Scawen secretly knew that he'd run out of western alphabet letters around christmas 2006 for his patches. So, come christmas eve he will surprise us all by releasing patch LFS S2AЯ (Pronounced "Elleffess Estoo Aya").
Quote from TagForce :And here lies the secret of the so-called 'useless' language pack update a while back... Scawen secretly knew that he'd run out of western alphabet letters around christmas 2006 for his patches. So, come christmas eve he will surprise us all by releasing patch LFS S2AЯ (Pronounced "Elleffess Estoo Aya").

:ices_rofl <--- Smilies can express feelings much better than words
woa.. you think S2 final will be out in christmas?
fat chance of that right now lol, there are still bugs and plenty of other things scawen does his slow and tedious work on; what he needs to do is find a friend or someone else to join the team if they really want to get this thing done at some point in time; i dont see how someone can have the temerity to work on something like this by .. basically yourself and 2 other people there off to the side doing other projects for the community for this many years
I think next incompatible patch might be released between december and february. It might include replay rewinding, proper race starts (with false starts), proper diff simulation with preload and lots of new textures, engine damage ...and a surprize

(mods better lock this thread quick, this is all 100% false information )
We will see if there's something new in the next patch!!! We should be patient!! :-D The devs are working hard,I would say!!

Greetings BlasteR
@Hyper

Don't toy with us, man! Those would be great features. Sounds right to me. mmmm.... starts and engine damage....

As far as surprises go, LFS has been one of the best surprises of my life. It's been a constant surprise for the last 4(?) years. Non stop giddy up giggle fest. Will be sad in some way if it's ever "completed".
#19 - Wix
Indeed .. Lets hope we never see S3 Final ( in the possitive way that is ;-)

I dont think Scawen ever will release a "required" patch.
He like to use the "carrot" instead.. Just look at the famous "keyboard patch" (the patch that removed "prediction" from keyboard control).
Anyone remember the carrot back then?

Some hints: :grouphug: ants:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG