The online racing simulator
Higher quality textures?
(14 posts, started )
#1 - af86
Higher quality textures?
I have seen quite a few videos with much higher quality textures, such as rucher colours, more detailed grass and tarmac and dark patches on the track where the racing line goes (laid down rubber) however I don't know how to do this. Could someone tell me, or point me in the direction of a previous thread like this, thanks.
there's kegetys's website has some new textures. But what kind of graphics card do you have? do you have the settings all at high? (ingame and also in advanced video settings)
#3 - af86
I have my graphics set to max in game, I wasn't aware of another way to adjust them. Ill just go look now.

Its a Radeon 9600 128mb card btw, so should be more than enough to max it out.
Quote from af86 :I have seen quite a few videos with much higher quality textures, such as rucher colours, more detailed grass and tarmac and dark patches on the track where the racing line goes (laid down rubber) however I don't know how to do this. Could someone tell me, or point me in the direction of a previous thread like this, thanks.

I think the richer colors, grass and tarmac detail would be setting related. They are probably done on a higher screen resolution with 32 bit color. For the rubber on the racing line, I think it is in the misc options you will see towards the bottom, ah, if I remember correctly, "update car paths" with a selection of none, user, and all. Select all to see the rubber being laid down on the track. The "update car paths - all" is the only graphic option I don't have minimized and my P4-2.5 with 8 mb onboard graphics at 1024x768x16 bit looks really good. I can't imagine what it will look like if I can finally pick up a new gfx card and maximize the graphics settings.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I imagine it helps. Set your desktop settings to the same as you run LFS at. Ie, if you run LFS at 1600x1200 at 32 bit, make sure your desktop is set at that also. That way the PC or gfx card, whatever it would be, isn't resizing LFS bigger than what windows is set for.
#5 - af86
I don't think anyone is understanding quite what I'm asking. Basically, I watched this video http://lfs-news.bluepixel.dk/moviespit/?movieid=168 and I want my game to look like that. Does anyone know why it looks like this? (btw, that link won't work if you have a popup blocker enabled).
that link just takes me to the moviepit. it could be that the video was edited to look more vivid.
Any differences you see between a video and your own screen are either because of graphics settings (resolution, color depth, anti-aliasing, anistropic filtering, video card color settings, monitor color settings) or tweaking of the source material for the video (photoshop-type effects). There aren't any downloadable track or grass textures for LFS. You can change the sky textures, but the only ones I'm aware of are just higher resolution versions of the ones that come with the game. The colors are not changed, unless you count the "night mods". You can change the textures for cars and signs, but not for the track, grass, etc. Having a lot of cars on the track and having "update car paths" = all will give you a darker racing line after a few laps.

Can you provide the name of the movie on the LFS Movie Pit that you think looks so much better than your in-game graphics?
#8 - af86
Its called "Twin Drift - StAyX vs Bright Devil" on page 10, third one down. The link I gave does work, but it has to be in IE and you can't use a popup blocker. The textures are definately different. The rubber I am referring to acutally appears to be part of the track texture, rather than rubber getting laid down as you race.
#9 - Gunn
Some people have created or edited track textures. You could even try it yourself (back up your old files first).

As someone already stated, video production using software like Adobe Premiere adds colour and hue changes at the whim of the movie maker. What you are seeing may just be an effect of the video production process.
Hey, i also have everything maxed out. Can someone tell me why i cant move the Z buffer depth past 24 in the graphics settings?
because thats the highest your videocard can go.
#12 - af86
#13 - jmkz
Quote from af86 :Its a Radeon 9600 128mb card btw, so should be more than enough to max it out.

I very much doubt it; it's a last generation vidcard,

enabling 4xFSAA/8xAF will increase image quality tenfold, also running at 1280x1024 (or higher) will increase texture quality, in-game LOD settings to the MAX. but that 9600 won't be able to pull it off
First of all, this video is from S1, and the texture were lower res there
And secondly, it is a texure pack, but dont ask me if it still works in S2 (I guess rather not, unless you want to covert all the files to dds, and the names will be different, and the textures wont fit)

Higher quality textures?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG