The online racing simulator
Multiplayer with 0.7a
(13 posts, started )
Multiplayer with 0.7a
Hi all,

My sons and me have quite some fun racing LFS against each other from time to time. We used the LAN multiplayer option up to version 0.6. I've a S3 license and we were happy to have 2 PCs running on the same license (from the documentation 3 machines could run LFS with a single license) and were able to race multiplayer against each other. Since the local server is no longer supported with 0.7a we tried to start a server hosted on lfs.net. This seems to work fine, server is startet and first machine is connected successfully. When we try to connect to this server from the second machine, we get the message that the user is already connected (obviously from the first machine).

The question is: Is the "3 player scenario with one license" being removed with 0.7? Do we have to purchase further licenses to be able to run multiplayer sessions with S3 content?

Kind regards
Andmie17
Quote from andmie17 :Is the "3 player scenario with one license" being removed with 0.7? Do we have to purchase further licenses to be able to run multiplayer sessions with S3 content?

Technically - yes,there is no way around it. So either each client needs an own licence or you have to install seperate 0.6V clients for such LAN sessions,I don't see other options. Shrug
#3 - Pasci
I have carried out demo events sporadically. A server was also active in LAN mode. That will probably no longer happen or it will be much more time-consuming (team colleagues who have to activate LFS with their account).

It's a real shame that this is no longer possible. But I understand the reason for the "online compulsion"; it seems like the only option. The loyal or paying drivers suffer because of idiots who prefer to have fun with cracked software.
Quote from andmie17 :The question is: Is the "3 player scenario with one license" being removed with 0.7? Do we have to purchase further licenses to be able to run multiplayer sessions with S3 content?

Yes, in fact the license used to allow two players on a LAN with one license but that is no longer possible with 0.7A.

Our business was being killed by piracy (there was no longer enough income to live on) so we had to either get another job or take a different approach - add new functionality or content and not release any server code at all.

But the old version is still available if you want to use it.
Quote from Scawen :Y
Our business was being killed by piracy (there was no longer enough income to live on) so we had to either get another job or take a different approach - add new functionality or content and not release any server code at all.

It makes me vomit that pirates should target an INEXPENSIVE "Indy" title that is run on a shoestring budget.
I can almost understand them going after the "Big Boys" that churn out the same stuff year after year and charge extortionate prices for a "new" version...which is in fact usually just a minor update!)

Leave the independents alone, they are the people that are bringing true innovation to the gaming industry!
Well the guy who runs the Brazilian LFS piracy system isn't targeting us, he's just making money. He gets his 'customers' to install ad-fraud software that downloads ads in the background, to get ad-hits for him, although the ads are never seen. He's ripping us off and also ripping off the ad providers. It's all about money, rather than being personal. He doesn't care at all whether our business survives, he just wants the money.
Maybe it would be possible to re-add the funtion to play with two players via one license?

Something like:
Allow two connections of one account, if that is the account who started the server and if they connect from the same IP.
Quote from Gutholz :Maybe it would be possible to re-add the funtion to play with two players via one license?

Something like:
Allow two connections of one account, if that is the account who started the server and if they connect from the same IP.

The problem is not Scavier wanting to forbid something like you described but it would mean to give out the code which builds a server and this can be easily cracked as it happened before.
Quote from Gutholz :Maybe it would be possible to re-add the funtion to play with two players via one license?

Something like:

That could be sort of an option - "local" setting on lfs.net hosts,where you can connect only from same IP and no outsiders allowed to join such host. There could be allowed to join with same licence up to 3(?) connections for own local racing. Not sure how much effort needed from devs side and if it's worth the hassle. Also that would mean few extra licence sales lost. I'm just coming up with ideas. Shrug
CLRS530:
No need to give out server code.
I meant that the hosting works as it does now. But allows two connections from the same IP, if the host was started from that account.

Quote :Also that would mean few extra licence sales lost. I'm just coming up with ideas.

Maybe. Or maybe it can be a small selling point; and eventually people get more licenses anyway if they want to race on public servers.
Sorry to ask that maybe again but i cant find a direct answer to this.
So with the new Version i cant no longer open my own dedicated server with my insim without paying for it?
You can start a free server in game "Start New Host" and you can connect to it with InSim.

The InSim IP and port are displayed in the Options screen after you start the host.

These free servers will close down a few minutes after you disconnect, so if you want to leave one online all the time then in that case you need to rent a host.
I have also been using the LAN function for years, but with 3 different accounts.

Sure, some miss this feature, but in view of the facts, this is an absolutely understandable development.

I'm just waiting for the "big patch" to buy a fourth account ... just to put some weight on the other side of the scale.

After almost 20 years ..... I feel almost obliged to ......

Multiplayer with 0.7a
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG