The online racing simulator
Thrust bearing
(7 posts, started )
Thrust bearing
Hey all

Loving the support for mods. Thought i'd create this thread for suspension related questions. Been having a tinker tonight trying to emulate my grass cars double wishbone suspension.

What does the 'thrust bearing' relate to in the double wishbone settings.

And trying to set the range of travel for the suspension, is the lowest wheel height the relationship between the wheel centre and the origin (or floor pan)? and in a similar vein, is 'max up' measurement in relationship to the same point?

Suppose I should also ask if when doing the points coordinates for upper and lower, these are also in relation to the floorpan?

I can't quite get my head around the spring rates too, is the value we have the wheel rate? From initial playing around, the wheels don't seem to go into bump as much as they should upon dropping the car.

So that covers the front axle. What is the best way to approximate a rear beam 4 link?

Cool tool.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

ps not sure why under my forum nick name I am shown as S2 licensed, i paid for S3 a long time ago
Quote from samforey12345 :not sure why under my forum nick name I am shown as S2 licensed, i paid for S3 a long time ago

Sorry for replying to the unrelated stuff,but - you should contact devs,so Victor can check what went wrong on website,maybe it's an error that can repeat for someone else too. LFSW shows your licence status correctly at least.
Rear trailing arm is essentially a solid axle. I’m not sure if the Lower Arm point effects anti squat or not. But for a less dynamic wheelbase change I have tried to set that point approximately under the drivers seat. A shorter arm seems to be more responsive but I can’t tell for sure if that’s actually true or my mind filling it in.
Quote from RE Amemiya :Rear trailing arm is essentially a solid axle.

Is it, though? XFG has trailing arm in the rear, and yet it doesn't handle like car with a solid axle :S
Well it doesn’t have any individual wheel camber change at all. If one wheel is -1 camber, the other is always +1. If one wheel hits a bump and goes negative camber, the other wheel will be affected with the inverse (positive) camber.

Lots of cars have solid rear axles. Often called “beam axle”. VW Golf etc. they handle good if the unsprung mass isn’t too high.

Legends cars are another example, solid front and rear!
#6 - w126
Quote from RE Amemiya :Rear trailing arm is essentially a solid axle.

Assuming flat road surface, with a solid axle the only camber (relative to road) change you get is from tyre deflection. With trailing arm there is camber change from suspension deflection (body roll), therefore it may be much bigger. FWIR camber thrust (change in lateral tyre force) is modelled in LFS tyres, so I think the handling with trailing arm is different from how real solid axle would behave.
I think the way the camber is displayed on LFS may be slightly misleading on the trailing arm setup. I may be wrong. But I think it’s essentially an inverse body roll figure

Thrust bearing
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG