The online racing simulator
Server-side engine sounds
(5 posts, started )
@Scawen

I had an idea for improving the lfs experience.
When you customize your engine sound using Shift + A, it sounds like everyone has
your sound applied
so if it was server-side, everyone would have their own custom engine sound without anyone
else sounding like they have it.

(I really explained this badly)
It does sound like a nice idea, no pun intended. But it may create a lot of unnecessary complexity in the net code, which is really not needed.

What happens if you want to download a replay? One would need to download additional stuff just for the sound parameters. During a race, one would need to constantly send and receive all this data from all connected players. I see lags, problems.. I do hope I am wrong about this.
Quote from rane_nbg :It does sound like a nice idea, no pun intended. But it may create a lot of unnecessary complexity in the net code, which is really not needed.

What happens if you want to download a replay? One would need to download additional stuff just for the sound parameters. During a race, one would need to constantly send and receive all this data from all connected players. I see lags, problems.. I do hope I am wrong about this.

Not really a big problem for the net code to send a 1kb wav file + 10 variables or whatever it is. It doesn't need to be sent more than once as well.

A bigger problem would be those who create ear drum puncturing sounds to piss people off.
i think there can be switch to use only your sound or use others sound
Quote from rane_nbg :It does sound like a nice idea, no pun intended. But it may create a lot of unnecessary complexity in the net code, which is really not needed.

Well, I was thinking that the new 12 packets per sec would allow it....

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG