The online racing simulator
Does anyone use an HP Reverb G2?
As we have two users reporting problems with HP Reverb G2, but LFS seems fully reliable with all other headsets, I wanted to ask if anyone else has experience with the Reverb G2. Maybe also let us know if have the HP Reverb (not G2).

I am in contact with HP support so that's why I'm asking for more information.

Ross Burton reports HP Reverb (not G2) working very well:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1952241#post1952241

bberger reports a scale issue with Reverb G2, he says the vertical FOV seems wrong.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/94919

MagicFr reports a problem with the right eye on a Reverb G2:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95087
2060 Super
i5 8400
HP Reverb G2

No eye aspect or fov issues here. The sim looks very good, I do have some stuttering. WMR is set to 90hz, fpsvr is showing 90fps and does not appear to be pushing my PC very hard. All LFS settings are default so I possibly need to have a look at them to make everything smooth.

No issues with the G2 otherwise.
Thank you for that. It's good to hear there is no serious issue with your Reverb G2. But it makes MagicFr's case even more puzzling.

The stuttering is probably due to a fundamental limitation of LFS at the moment, that the physics runs at 100Hz. So each 10th of a second, you see 8 graphical frames that are 1 step apart, then the 9th graphical frame has 2 physics steps. This particular type of stutter is more noticeable when you look sideways as you are driving along.

The other thing is that it's not as good as it could be, due to being rendered in Direct3D 9 then passing a texture to Direct3D 11. This causes certain difficulty with timing and is better in the development version of LFS.
I see, thank you for the detailed response! I can deal with stutters as your simulation looks so much better in VR than anything running on the Madness or Unreal engines. Superior clarity, no AA shimmering and excellent performance.
Scawen, I can test it in a couple of days. It’s just that my rig is disassembled because we are moving tomorrow. My setup is Ryzen 5900x, FE3080 and 32” Triples and Reverb G2. Let me know if you want me to check out something in particular.
Thank you, I'd be interested to hear when you are ready. No rush, I know that when moving house, this won't be the highest priority! Big grin

There's nothing in particular to test, only whether it is working properly, looking 3D and visible in both eyes. Because of the definite fault on MagicFr's computer and the apparent scale issue on bberger's one, it's good to get an idea if other people get the same problems.
Got the G2 finally. Tested in LFS and no issues at all. Tried it on older versions of LFS and one of my eyes was not equal in height i think. I applied a WMR fix from "darkdrive" and it was OK after.

Ran LFS on 200% supersampling in the G2 and it looks like playing on 4k display just amazing!
Thanks for the feedback. What is the WMR fix? I'm asking in case it could help the two people who found an issue. Or was that only relevant for the older versions of LFS?
Sory for the late reply, I finally got to test LfS with my G2. I too have a vertical FOV of 93° listed in the options. I haven't done any testing of my FOV, and apart from a subjective difference due to fit I'm not confident I could manage to reliably hit a difference of 3° in what seems to be a manual test.

I honestly can't make my mind up whether the world scale is wrong or not. I limited myself to real life-objects, so Formula BMW on Rockingham. Without experiencing either in RL or other sims, I feel if it's off, then by so little it escapes notice. The set of lights at the end of the pits seems big, and the head of the driver is roughly at knee height of the marshall model, but that might be true to scale - I don't know. The cockpit seems right, but the driver model (besides showing its age) looks like I fit my overweight self into a racing suit.

Limiting myself to RO and FBM was more of a necessity, as with other content, the world scale in my view varied wildly: FOX felt like sitting in a bathtub with switches fit for giants instead of a snug little formula car, and Kyoto National was as massive as a 4-lane highway. Switching to a GTR, the size became much more reasonable...
Thanks for the feedback!
Hello,

I had a valve index and now a HP reverb G2. The image is cristal clear! One thing is very annoying : when i turn left to right or right to left, i can see many lags. It's not a performance or PC prbm (FPS vr locked to 90 fps, I9 9900 KS 5 GHZ RTX 3090, Steam VR SS 100%). I played a lot with in game graphic settings and nvidia control panel with no success. I haven't experienced that with Valve index, even in 90hz mode. Maybe something related to openvr or steam or windows mixed reality.

Very weird. Not random lags, but regular ones. When i turn steering wheel, no lags on wheel, very smooth but in the exterior (other cars, track etc) horrible lags every 0.5 seconds).

Hope i miss something in settings...
Thanks for the feedback.

I think the stutter you are talking about is a well known issue due to the difference between LFS physics update rate and the frame rate of the headset.

Reason (2) in this post:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1954698#post1954698
Thank you scawen. Yes. I notice lags only when i look sideways ond not sraight away. Very frustrating problem. With my ancient Valve index on 144 hz LFS was butter smooth and now i really miss it. Sad days Frown.

Is this problem will be fixed any soon ? With the futur big DX 11 update ?
As I understand, more related to physics thread working at a fixed 100Hz. If things are going well, Scawen intends to separate physics and graphics in two different threads, allowing a better handling of VR and the 90Hz used.
I hope so. Because this problem really takes me off LFS, and i have sold my valve index. I can't enjoy playing LFS now with that stutter
My HP Reverb G2 FOV seems to be off as well, but the fov in assetto corsa is spot on. if anybody could help with the vr fov being wrong in LFS it would be greatly appreciated since LFS physics are was better then AC
Another G2 with problems here. I used to have the Rift CV1, working great in this sim, but now that i upgraded to the reverb G2 it is completely wrong. The only way i can describe what happens here is, imagine a normal VR image, but zoomed in, so everything seems streched. tried to change some in game configs like fov and others but with no result. Other games run fine in this G2 like ACC, rF2, flight sims.
User 'eluptas' found that the problem was fixed like this:

Quote :Go to WMR settings/ Headset display tab / Experience option> put it to "Best visual quality" (everything else i have to the max 1080p>best resolution>90hz)

And it was confirmed by user 'Fat-Alfie' in this thread: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1966239#post1966239

Does anyone use an HP Reverb G2?
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG