The online racing simulator
Quote from Plastik8 :[...]Then have 1 colour for people in front, 1 for yourself, 1 for people behind, and 1 for people who are 1 or more laps behind you[...]

I would love to see the people who are laps behind me in a different color in the minimap.
It would be a great help I think.

In addition I want to see the place of a driver in front/behind/above his name (name above car). Maybe the information that the car is overlapped too.

For me it's not necessary to number (1st, 2nd, 3rd,...) the edges in the map. I only need to know who is in front of me, who is behind me and who is overlapped. Maybe the leader could be extra marked by a dot inside the edge or extra colored.

In addition it would be nice to know how far (in seconds) the (two) guys in front or behind me are away from me. I wanna know if I am comming closer to the racer in front of me or I am loosing time.

ok, this is my opinion.
I dont think we need a 1st, 2nd, 3rd colour, i dont see the point, there iether infront of you or behind you, or lapping or leading.

(Car is <as follows>)
Infront (on same lap) - Yellow
Infront (many laps) - BrightYellow
Behind (on same lap) - Green
Behind (many laps) - BrightGreen
Infront (you being shown blue flag) - Flashing Yellow/Blue or BrightYellow/Blue if many laps
Behind (them being shown blue flag) - Flashing Green/Red or BrightGreen/Red if many laps
Leader (on same lap) - Orange
Leader (many laps) - BrightOrange
Leader (you being shown the blue flag) - Flashing Orange/Blue or BrightOrange/Blue if many laps
AI Infront (on same lap) - Purple
AI Infront (many laps) - BrightPurple
AI Behind (on same lap) - Pink
AI Behind (many laps) - BrightPink
AI Behind (them being shown blue flag) - Flashing Pink/Red or BrightPink/Red if many laps
AI Infront (you being shown blue flag) - Flashing Purple/Blue or BrightPurple/Blue if many laps
Own Car - Brown

Its sounds complex but it would make it much easier to see a car (especially the leader) when it is lapping a group of back markers, also will help to see how far your behind the leader.

Simon
Sorry FlintFredstone, I think that is way to complicated. It needs to be less complicated, like my way

If we have the minimap, then it needs to be easy to use, but useful, and as I have said, why do you need to know where the leader is? You don't, if the leaders are lapping you, you get a blue flag - it doesn't matter if it is first, second or third, you let them past. The only racers you NEED to know about are those directly infront of you and directly behind you (in terms of race position not track position). Hence the different colour for these only!

However, I agree that the minimap is very arcade like, and we need something a bit more realistic. I am not sure what, but maybe adding functionality to the minimap is a step in the wrong direction!

Tim
My way isnt complex, just the way i put it

Basically if their infront they are either yellow or orange for the leader, if your about to be lapped it will start flashing blue on the car(s) lapping you. If their behind they will be green and if you are about to lap them they will flash red.

Whats complicated about that? (i know i added ai colours too)

Simon
Quote from t1ger :However, I agree that the minimap is very arcade like, and we need something a bit more realistic. I am not sure what, but maybe adding functionality to the minimap is a step in the wrong direction!

Tim

Yes, it is very arcade like and step in the wrong direction!
See my post in improvement suggestions
Is a spotter arcade like? No.. so if there is no spotter.. then a mini map will serve r that purpose.. It is different from real life but IMO not arcadish.
One possibility to make it without the map would be the use of a pitboard (don't know if yopu call it that way) everytime you pass the start/finish staright. And you would need a radio voice, that tells you race informations, telling you if someone's gaining on you or vice-versa etc.
#58 - Jakg
Quote from LRB_Aly :One possibility to make it without the map would be the use of a pitboard (don't know if yopu call it that way) everytime you pass the start/finish staright. And you would need a radio voice, that tells you race informations, telling you if someone's gaining on you or vice-versa etc.

just use LFS Companion
Quote from Jakg :just use LFS Companion

Yeah well, I thought of it as an implemented option not an misc addon.
There have been lost of different suggestions, some confusing, most of them could possibly be considered as "arcadish"....

But, what I think would be good, is to replace the triangles with position numbers.... What does everyone think about that?? You could still preserve the different colours. Also, the position list in the bottom right hand corner could have the position numbers next to them as well, so you can easily see where each person is on the track....
retire
my triangles are squares?
Attached images
omfg noob.JPG
One thing I would really like is an option to shift the map to the right underneath lap, position, etc. Doesn't even have to rotate. The map is covered by chat far too often and at crucial times like when exiting pits. I don't want to have to disable chat.

As for colours theres only three significant classes of racers on the track.

If a racer is,

same lap, yellow
lap(s) behind, orange
lap(s) ahead, red

Thats enough info for me anyways.
Quote from i30i3i3y :As for colours theres only three significant classes of racers on the track.

If a racer is,

same lap, yellow
lap(s) behind, orange
lap(s) ahead, red

Thats enough info for me anyways.

OK, so the driver who is about to lap you is yellow and the driver you are about to lap is yellowillepall
Quote from PLAYLIFE :OK, so the driver who is about to lap you is yellow and the driver you are about to lap is yellowillepall

Umm... no if I got this right.

Driver1 is on lap 2,
You are on lap 5,
Driver2 is on lap 5, 3 secs ahead of you,
Driver3 is on lap 8.

Driver 1 is just ahead of you on the track and is colored orange on the minimap, ahead of him is Driver2 (whom your fighting with), colored yellow on the minimap. Behind you are Driver3 who's going to lap you, colored red.

See now?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought my description was clear enough , guess not.

The only real difference between the current system and this is you can tell if someone ahead is a lap (or more) ahead so you won't do anything silly.

The other difference would be a car wouldn't change from yellow to orange once you overtake it, so if you see a yellow car closing on you you know you're fighting to retain position. If it's red, let it through. In the rare case that it's orange just be a bit careful, either pick up the pace or let them through and avoid a crash.
i want the map on carpark and autocross :weeping:
Quote from BurnOut69 :Then you might want to ask for it in the improvements section ;-)

uh huh, why? lol
we had that it got removed (why ) and since we have to install that patch to play on all servers i had to change from U10 (had the minimap there) to U20 (no more minimap).
You want to ask for it in the improvements section because that is not a test patch bug.
#70 - axus
Quote from BurnOut69 :You want to ask for it in the improvements section because that is not a test patch bug.

But then people will go "but we already have one" if they don't have the patch. I don't think his request is a big deal - its perfectly on topic. Requests like "hey lets have visible dirt on tyres as they go through the sand pit" are the problem. What, now instead of a thread full of requests, you'll see a thread full of "ZOMG you requested something"? Come on guys, just don't post here unless you need to.
Quote from DanneDA :Umm... no if I got this right.

Driver1 is on lap 2,
You are on lap 5,
Driver2 is on lap 5, 3 secs ahead of you,
Driver3 is on lap 8.

Driver 1 is just ahead of you on the track and is colored orange on the minimap, ahead of him is Driver2 (whom your fighting with), colored yellow on the minimap. Behind you are Driver3 who's going to lap you, colored red.

See now?

Your completely missing the point.

What color is the driver :
a) 2 sec ahead of you
b) half a lap ahead of you
c) 75% of the lap ahead of you
d) 99% of the lap ahead of you (going to lap you)

e) 2 sec behind you
f) half a lap behind you
g) 75 % of the lap behind you
h) 99% of the lap nehind you (you are going to lap him)

??? They all cannot be exactly the same color! Driver a-d should be one color and driver e-h must be other color.

Quote from [RCG]Boosted :i want the map on carpark and autocross

Me too
#72 - abz1
Some good suggestions made. Having too many colours/shapes is not a good idea its just going to get messy and the idea about using numbers "sounds" good but will not "look" good I suppose.

I think it only makes sense to show drivers who are ahead of you and behind you as some of you have suggested.

Ahead - Red (+1 lap)
You - Dark Green (and Everyone on same lap Light Green)
Behind - Blue (-1 lap)

so thats 4 colours including your own colour, thats more then enough information to figure out stuff like if someone is a backmarker or your the backmarker.

[edit]
Determining by colour if someone is 2,3,4 etc laps ahead\behind is just pointless.
Quote from abz1 :Some good suggestions made. Having too many colours/shapes is not a good idea its just going to get messy and the idea about using numbers "sounds" good but will not "look" good I suppose.

I think it only makes sense to show drivers who are ahead of you and behind you as some of you have suggested.

Ahead - Red (+1 lap)
You - Dark Green (and Everyone on same lap Light Green)
Behind - Blue (-1 lap)

so thats 4 colours including your own colour, thats more then enough information to figure out stuff like if someone is a backmarker or your the backmarker.

[edit]
Determining by colour if someone is 2,3,4 etc laps ahead\behind is just pointless.

OK, but what about AI drivers in an online race? +4 colors?
#74 - abz1
If you want, give the AI a seperate colour but its pointless as they are a driver, so they follow the same colour scheme.

Giving them a extra colour will be inconsistent with my 4 colour proposal and in most cases the AI can be identified by the name AI.

[edit - added to make my idea clear]
1. you are dark green
2. anyone who is 1 lap or more ahead of you is red
3. anyone who is on the same lap as you is light green
4. anyone who is 1 lap or more behind you is blue

now you can clearly see who you are racing against, whos in your way and whos way you are in.
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Your completely missing the point.

What color is the driver :
a) 2 sec ahead of you
b) half a lap ahead of you
c) 75% of the lap ahead of you
d) 99% of the lap ahead of you (going to lap you)

e) 2 sec behind you
f) half a lap behind you
g) 75 % of the lap behind you
h) 99% of the lap nehind you (you are going to lap him)

??? They all cannot be exactly the same color! Driver a-d should be one color and driver e-h must be other color.

a)Yellow
b)Yellow if his lap count is the same, Red if his lap count is higher.
c)As above.
d)Red.
e)Yellow.
f)Yellow if his lap count is the same, Orange if his lap count is lower.
g)As above.
h)Orange.

A little confused about % lap ahead/behind. So my colouring may be off.

I was suggesting colouring the dots based on the lap count of the driver. If I'm on lap 5, everyone else on lap 5 will be yellow, regardless of whether they're ahead of or behind me. Everyone on lap 6 or higher is red. Everyone on lap 4 or lower is orange.

The only problem I can see is people's colour changing from yellow to red as they cross the line and then back to yellow as you cross the line (because of the lap difference). Same goes for people behind you, yellow to orange as you cross the line and back to yellow as they cross the line. So maybe a delay after crossing the line before the colours change will help, or maybe it'll look ok as it is. Only one way to find out.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG