The online racing simulator
Some more Multiplayer Options
(11 posts, started )
Hi,

I'm new to the game, so I don't know if my suggestions are already mentioned, in work progress or just utopian gamer dreams. If this is the case forget all about the following.

Setting up a server:

- There could be an additional option to restart the race automatically, after the winner has finished the race, e.g. after 60 or 90 seconds.

- There could be a automatically random select track option. If it would be configureable by the host, which tracks are selectable, it'll be even better.

Joinig a game or server

- The list of available servers should also get sorted by the name. Then it would be easier to find a server like "New Bees Place". Then you can decide, whether the ping is still good enough or not.

During the race

- If the pitstop function is enabled, there a are some problems, particulary in short races about 5-7 laps. Some human drivers are making their pitstop in the very last round, and are finishing the race in the pit without returning to the track. I'm sure that's not they way it was intended and it's very cheesy. So these drivers should be forced to make their pitsop at the latest in the second last round. If there are also AI drivers taking part in such races, they make no pitstop at all and are getting disqualified.

Nevertheless the multiplayer part is exemplary.
Judging from other posts now I've read of your's, you seem to be the exception of the norm and actually read through most of this forum instead of repeating the same questions that have come up many times. Well done. With that, I'm surprised you didn't find most of what you suggested already. I think they have all been suggested. Definitely need the auto race restart. Last week I was running in a server where it took longer to get the race restarted than it did to run the race. This is so annoying. I always check around to see that everyone still in the race has finished before I vote for a restart, but shees, why do people like to run around the track for 20 minutes at the end of a race? There were like 5 out of 15 that continually voted to restart, but no others. Very annoying.

And Welcome, if I didn't say it in your first thread!
#3 - Gunn
I was pretty sure you couldn't finish the race in the pits. Wasn't there a penalty in place for this?
Did the 0.5P2 patch fix this? Not sure. Being new though, Sunday Driver should have the 0.5P2 version. But I know if the finish line is at the end of pit road, you can pit on the last lap. I think if the finish line was in the middle of pit road, you could pit in a back pit and cross the line after the pit stop. If the leader finishes while you are in a pit stall, then you get DQ'ed.
not sure about the pit finish as well

but about the track changing, there's a helpful tool called race manager, which changes tracks automatically - you can either use a fixed change scheme or make random changes - and it doesn't only change tracks, it lets you also configure different car classes and race length for every track shift...

take a look in the tools and addons section for more about race manager. it'S very helpful when setting up your own server
@mrodgers

Hehe, maybay your impression is right. The post above was my 1st one here. But after that I learned fast. It's just a short summary of things I like to mention in general. If some of these points are already discussed, just take it as an additional opinion pro and con to certain issues.

I tried several racing games the last past weeks and I was always very annoyed about their bad multiplayer support, e.g. no chat, waiting in a lounge for ages, you don't see whether servers are running or not etc. Two games has no working multiplayer support at all without third party fan patches. It's unbelieveable what some developers are doing to their games. illepall

I complained about this in another forum and there somone suggested me to try out the demo of LfS. That's why I'm here now.

@Klee

thank you very much. (again)
Quote from Sunday Driver :
@Klee

thank you very much. (again)

that'S what a forum is for. helping others and getting some information/help when needed - so no need to say thank you
I don't like automatic Track-changes at all.

When I'm about to go online i decide wich server to go by the selected track and the allowed cars (and the number of players).
If the server would change the track after a race, then I also would change the server. (Am just I thinking that way?)

What I'd like to see is the number of laps for one race BEFORE I join.
I don't like this 3-5 laps races. A race must have at least 10 laps!!
Quote from --==Gogo==-- :I don't like automatic Track-changes at all.

When I'm about to go online i decide wich server to go by the selected track and the allowed cars (and the number of players).
If the server would change the track after a race, then I also would change the server. (Am just I thinking that way?)

No, you're not the only one. I'm not fond of the auto changing track/car idea either. But I understand why the suggestion came up. It is kind of limited with the types of tracks/cars people are sticking with.

Quote :What I'd like to see is the number of laps for one race BEFORE I join.
I don't like this 3-5 laps races. A race must have at least 10 laps!!

Did you know if you click on the "?" in the server list it will open a box on top of the list and tell you the race condition (practice/qualify with time/ or race with number of laps)? It will also list the racers connected in order of track position and what car/lap they are on. I didn't know this for such a long time. Quite helpful and I hope I've helped someone else to learn this as well.

On the weeknights, I don't like 10 laps, it's just too long. I'm not on very long in the evenings and I like to run 5-7 lap races to get more races in. Under 5 laps is just useless, and maybe 5 lappers as well on the shorter tracks. On the weekends, I'm up late and like longer races.
Quote from Sunday Driver :Setting up a server:

- There could be an additional option to restart the race automatically, after the winner has finished the race, e.g. after 60 or 90 seconds.

I'd like to see this added as well. Getting the next race started is always a chore since it requires majority vote.

Quote :- There could be a automatically random select track option. If it would be configureable by the host, which tracks are selectable, it'll be even better.

There's a 3rd party tool that does this already (Race Manager) but I'd love to see this added to the dedicated server. I personally prefer to have the track and car selection rotate every five races or so. Driving the same car and the same track all night long is just boring unless you're practicing for a league race.

Quote :Joinig a game or server

- The list of available servers should also get sorted by the name. Then it would be easier to find a server like "New Bees Place". Then you can decide, whether the ping is still good enough or not.

The servers already sort by ping. If you're worried about the ping being good enough, isn't sorting by ping your best option in the first place?
Quote from Cue-Ball :

The servers already sort by ping. If you're worried about the ping being good enough, isn't sorting by ping your best option in the first place?

It's good that they are sorted by ping.

But it would be easiear to find a specific server, if you could be able to switch the sorting function due to different parameters, e.g. sorting by name, ping, tracks etc. just like in Excel. That would also make e.g. a "Bookmark Server" option less important, which was also discussed these days. To bookmark a server wouldn't help someone anyway, if the server is only running temporaly.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG