I don't like the car groups
I would NOT join this league
I do like the car groups
We need to setup more rules
The basic rules are fine
I would join this league
Potenza Multiclass Road League
Hi Racers,

I was thinking about a new kind of multiclass league. Cars are divided in groups based on a single make (see car groups below). For each event, racers can choose 1 of 3 cars in the group.

Points system
Top 10 (per car) receive points: 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 & 1. If less than 10 races compete in a car, the points table is shifted. So if 6 cars start, the finishers receive 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 & 1 points. I hope this points system motivates racers to spread (evenly) across the different cars in a group, providing nice multiclass racing)

Proposed schedule
Each event consists of 15 minutes of qualifying and 2 sprint races of +/- 20 minutes.
  1. UF @ AS1 - 23 laps
  2. XF @ WE1 - 12 laps
  3. XRY @ FE2 - 15 laps
  4. LX @ BL1 - 15 laps
  5. FX @ FE3 - 16 laps
  6. XRZ @ AS3 - 11 laps
  7. FZ @ AS5 - 7 laps
Car groups
UF
UF1 (UF1)
UFJ (UFR 23% restriction with road tyres, max 185/50-11)
UF4 (UFR 6% restriction with road tyres)

XF
XFG (XFG)
XFJ (XFR 21% restriction / 6kg added mass with road tyres, max 215/40-15)
XF4 (XFR 6% restriction with road tyres)

XRY
XRG (XRG)
XRX (XRT 20% restriction)
XRS (XRT 5% restrcition / 60kg added mass)

LX
LX4 (LX4)
LJ6 (LX6 35% restriction / 25kg added mass)
LX5 (LX6 7% restriction / 3kg added mass)

FX
FXO (FXO)
FX3 (FXR 32% restriction, with road tyres, max 275/40-18)
FX2 (FXR 23% restriction, with road tyres)

XRZ
XRT (XRT)
XR3 (XRR 34% restriction, with road tyres, max 325/35-18)
XR2 (XRR 24% restriction, with road tyres)

FZ
FZ5 (FZ5)
FZ3 (FZR 28% restriction, with road tyres, max 295/35-18 front & 355/30-18 rear)
FZ2 (FZR 20% restriction, with road tyres)

InSim
I'm thinking about programming a very simple InSim app to enforce the restrictions/tyre requirements, keeping track of points etc.

What do you think, would i need more rules? Would you join such a league?
Stan AKA Boer Tarrel
While the core idea is novel, the problem is that such a grouping splits the drivers quite drastically imo. For endurance racing such a split might be interesting, as multiclass is a regular part of endurance racing in many series, be it reallife or sim racing leagues. In a sprint format it is just splitting it into three parallel races, as lap traffic won't really occur, it does not add anything to the race for the driver.

Also, the FIA point system does not really work in such a situation: you are scoring more then twice the points as a winner of a 10 car grid compared to a 6 car grid and it gets even worse with less cars are around.
Thanks for thinking it through! I'll consider endurance races. A single 1+ hour race per event would be a improvement.

I agree that the points system is maybe to rigorous combined with the car groups/classes. I'll consider something like: 14, 11, 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Maybe it's even better to not shift the points based on number of starting players, just give 14 points to the winner (even if only 1 racer started). That would motivate racers to fill all the car groups, would'nt it?
Personally, I am a fan of the Nürburgring Endurance Series point system, that I also use for the Open E ... I (irregularily) organise. It gives similar points for similar positions, but a first place with 10 cars is worth more then a first place with 9 cars.

Also I think that Rony's point system he uses in the Tuesday Fun Races, which also experience some grid fluctuations, works good.
Quote :Point system:
1st=10
2nd=9
3rd=8
4th=7
5th=6
6th=5
7th=4
8th=3
9th=2
10th and lower=1
(must finish 50% of race distance to score these points)
* System based on 10 drivers starting,extra 1 point for every 3 drivers more starting the race - this adds extra positions to receive more than 1 point.

1st in q=3
2nd in q=2
3rd in q=1
(if not finished -1p from q points as a "penalty" for not finishing race)
* System based on 10 drivers qualifyinging,extra 1 point for every 6 drivers more taking part in qualifying - this adds more positions to score points.

At the end of the day, drivers are motivated to drive a particular car, when it is fun to drive in the first place. That's something I cannot assess just seeing restriction charts.

Potenza Multiclass Road League
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG