The online racing simulator
Lauching problem after update win10 with LFS 0.6U13 [SOLVED]
Hello,

I made an windows update yesterday night and this morning LFS 0.6U13 blocking the PC impossible to quit with CTRL+ALT+SUPP, turn off possible only with the reset button during 3 sec.
With the version 0.6U, no problem.
I played before the windows update and no problem.

In the deb.log file, I have this:
Feb 01 10:54:30 LFS : 0.6U13
Feb 01 10:54:30 timer resolution 1 ms
Feb 01 10:54:30 read config
Feb 01 10:54:30 get command line
Feb 01 10:54:30 preinit d3d
Feb 01 10:54:30 started Direct3D 9Ex
Feb 01 10:54:30 number of adapters : 2
Feb 01 10:54:30 adapter 0 - valid modes : 36
Feb 01 10:54:30 adapter 1 - valid modes : 36
Feb 01 10:54:30 using adapter : 0
Feb 01 10:54:30 load font
Feb 01 10:54:30 -----

Someone has a solution ?

Thank you.
#2 - nacim
Hello,

I would suggest trying to update your graphics drivers to their latest version first of all, and see if it fixes your issue.
The graphic driver is update with the last version.
That sounds nasty if you have to do a hard reset.

I'd suggest making LFS start in a window.

Edit cfg.txt and edit this line:

Start Windowed 1

Make that 1 instead of 0 and save the file so LFS will start in a window. Now it should be impossible to lock up your computer.

Then see if LFS starts up OK. If it's going OK you can try SHIFT+F11 to go full screen in a borderless window which is a very safe way to go full screen. SHIFT+F11 is not 'exclusive mode' so should not lock up the computer.
Thank you for your help.

I'm already in Windowed 1 cause I'm on a double screen configuration:
Version 0.6U13
Start Windowed 1
Welcome U 0
Borderless Window 4
Edition 0
Window 3 31 1192 759
One thing you can do is rename the cfg.txt file so LFS doesn't read it at all. You still have it as backup.

LFS will start with default settings then. LFS will write a new cfg.txt file when you exit.

Or try default settings but starting in a window.

That is by deleting all lines other than "Start Windowed 1"
I tried with a new version of LFS, delete all lines other than "Start Windowed 1" in cfg file. A black window opens and same problem.
I don't know what to suggest.

In your log file, it gets as far as loading the font, which is the last significant thing before LFS calls "CreateDevice" and then you don't see any more in the log.

I haven't heard of this from anyone else in recent times, so it seems to be something rare. I feel the issue is with Windows and something has gone wrong in the update. Do you have any other software that uses Direct3D 9?

I've been quite annoyed with what Microsoft does with its Windows updates. Things are working fine then suddenly it doesn't work. We did a reinstall Windows here on a Windows 10 laptop used by my son and it improved things a bit. We used the option that removes all apps including preinstalled apps from the manufacturer, but leaving user data.

One question: When you said you tried with a new version of LFS - is that with the U13 update, or just a fresh install of U?

One other question, as you have a double screen configuration. Would it be possible to try with only one screen connected, and Windows desktop adjusted to a single screen mode?
I tried with a single screen ,same thing.

I don't know if I have another software using Direct3D9 but no problems with another game (ACC, MFS2020, Automobilista 2).

When I talked about new version of lfs, it was a fresh install of U with patch U13. I don't have problem with de version U.

I'll play with the version U and when I'll do a Windows 10 reinstallation, I'll test.

Thank you for your help.
So I tried a fresh install of U with patch U16.
No deb.log file created.
Did the program start up at all? The only way there could be no deb.log is if it didn't run or the folder was write protected.

Where is it installed? It must not be in 'program files' or special windows folders - it should be in a simple location like C:\LFS or C:\Games\LFS

You could try:

- find to your LFS folder where U is located
- rename the U version LFS.exe to a different name (for backup)
- copy in the U16 LFS.exe

Then try running it in that location.
Anti-virus program not blocking "new" LFS.exe file or launching in "sandbox"? Disable the antivirus for a while or use the LFS.exe file to trusted.
So I retried and I' have a deb.log file (I don't understand):
Feb 03 20:26:17 LFS : 0.6U
Feb 03 20:26:17 timer resolution 1 ms
Feb 03 20:26:17 read config
Feb 03 20:26:17 get command line
Feb 03 20:26:17 preinit d3d
Feb 03 20:26:17 started Direct3D 9Ex
Feb 03 20:26:17 number of adapters : 2
Feb 03 20:26:17 adapter 0 - valid modes : 36
Feb 03 20:26:17 adapter 1 - valid modes : 36
Feb 03 20:26:17 using adapter : 0
Feb 03 20:26:17 load font
Feb 03 20:26:17 -----
Feb 03 20:26:18 max texture size 16384
Feb 03 20:26:18 can do shadows
Feb 03 20:26:18 can do multi tex
Feb 03 20:26:18 load language
Feb 03 20:26:18 initialisations
Feb 03 20:26:18 human system
Feb 03 20:26:18 tables
Feb 03 20:26:18 helmet
Feb 03 20:26:18 controllers
Feb 03 20:26:18 load objects
Feb 03 20:26:18 start intro
Feb 03 20:26:18 end of initialisation
Feb 03 20:26:18 Blackwood
Feb 03 20:26:23 Next LOD
Feb 03 20:26:23 Meshes : 40
Feb 03 20:26:23 init sound
Feb 03 20:26:32 shutting down
Feb 03 20:26:32 free objects
Feb 03 20:26:32 free languages
Feb 03 20:26:32 free controllers
Feb 03 20:26:32 clear light map
Feb 03 20:26:32 close sound
Feb 03 20:26:32 close rift
Feb 03 20:26:32 free humans
Feb 03 20:26:32 free font
Feb 03 20:26:32 free helmet
Feb 03 20:26:32 kill graphics
Feb 03 20:26:32 save controls
Feb 03 20:26:32 save views
Feb 03 20:26:32 save config
Feb 03 20:26:32 free mouse
Feb 03 20:26:32 EXIT
Quote from meuhmeuh :So I retried and I' have a deb.log file (I don't understand):

It looks as if it started up, then 9 second later started to shut down.

[9 seconds elapsed]

Please could you try again, using U21 test patch? There is a bit more logging.

Also if you could disable anti-virus and see if that works, that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Quote from Scawen :It looks as if it started up, then 9 second later started to shut down.

[9 seconds elapsed]

Please could you try again, using U21 test patch? There is a bit more logging.

Also if you could disable anti-virus and see if that works, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

I disabled anti virus and used U21 test patch,
deb.log file:
Feb 12 17:48:46 LFS : 0.6U21
Feb 12 17:48:46 timer resolution 1 ms
Feb 12 17:48:46 read config
Feb 12 17:48:46 get command line
Feb 12 17:48:46 preinit d3d
Feb 12 17:48:46 started Direct3D 9Ex
Feb 12 17:48:46 number of adapters : 2
Feb 12 17:48:46 adapter 0 - valid modes : 36
Feb 12 17:48:46 adapter 1 - valid modes : 36
Feb 12 17:48:46 using adapter : 0
Feb 12 17:48:46 load font
Feb 12 17:48:46 -----
Feb 12 17:48:46 Init: SetPresentParams (1)
Feb 12 17:48:46 Init: CreateDevice
I am struggling to understand this. It gets to "CreateDevice" and then that's the last we see. It doesn't report that CreateDevice failed or move onto the next step. So it seems to hang in CreateDevice. But that is a Direct3D function, and your version U does it fine. Also you reported that U13 was working fine until you got a Windows update.

A couple of questions:

1) Originally you said you needed to do a hard reset. But if you start in a window, then when LFS hangs, can you use the Windows Task Manager to end the LFS process? So you don't need to restart the computer?

2) If you can start the Task Manager when LFS hangs, can you see the CPU usage of the LFS process during the hang?

In case you would like to do another test, I've collected together the LFS.exe from test patches U2 to U12 (excludes U8) into a zip file. Maybe you could try and see if any of them work. I suggest you start with U2. If it works then try U3... go through until you find the one that doesn't work. It's possible that could narrow down the changes between one version and the next that causes the problem (if it really is a problem in LFS).

http://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_EXE_6U_2_12.zip
Quote from Scawen :I am struggling to understand this. It gets to "CreateDevice" and then that's the last we see. It doesn't report that CreateDevice failed or move onto the next step. So it seems to hang in CreateDevice. But that is a Direct3D function, and your version U does it fine. Also you reported that U13 was working fine until you got a Windows update.

A couple of questions:

1) Originally you said you needed to do a hard reset. But if you start in a window, then when LFS hangs, can you use the Windows Task Manager to end the LFS process? So you don't need to restart the computer?

2) If you can start the Task Manager when LFS hangs, can you see the CPU usage of the LFS process during the hang?

In case you would like to do another test, I've collected together the LFS.exe from test patches U2 to U12 (excludes U8) into a zip file. Maybe you could try and see if any of them work. I suggest you start with U2. If it works then try U3... go through until you find the one that doesn't work. It's possible that could narrow down the changes between one version and the next that causes the problem (if it really is a problem in LFS).

Impossible to go in Task Manager, screen is freezed and nothing happens with CTRL+ALT+SUPP, keyboard and mouse didn't work. Hard reset is only the solution to restart the computer.

I'll try patch U2 TO U12.
Quote from Scawen :I am struggling to understand this. It gets to "CreateDevice" and then that's the last we see. It doesn't report that CreateDevice failed or move onto the next step. So it seems to hang in CreateDevice. But that is a Direct3D function, and your version U does it fine. Also you reported that U13 was working fine until you got a Windows update.

A couple of questions:

I tried patch U2, same problem.
OK, thanks. No need to try the others.

It's very mysterious.

I am not a programmer who tries to escape the blame for bugs but in this case I think something went wrong with your Windows update. The thing is that no other user has come up with this problem.

But although I suspect that is the case, I have a fear that when we do the official release, if this bug is actually not unique to your computer but is just extremely rare, then we would get several more people with the problem. But there is absolutely no clue what is going wrong. LFS calls one Direct3D function and the entire computer hangs.

It shouldn't be possible in any way for an application to cause this effect. I don't even know a way to write a program to cause a computer to hang. So suddenly I think of the graphics card. Hardware can cause such an effect, sometimes.

Do you have the possibility to change to an updated driver for the graphics card? Or roll back to an earlier version?

Which kind of computer is it? Desktop or laptop? Discreet or integrated graphics card?
Quote from Scawen :OK, thanks. No need to try the others.

It's very mysterious.

I am not a programmer who tries to escape the blame for bugs but in this case I think something went wrong with your Windows update. The thing is that no other user has come up with this problem.

But although I suspect that is the case, I have a fear that when we do the official release, if this bug is actually not unique to your computer but is just extremely rare, then we would get several more people with the problem. But there is absolutely no clue what is going wrong. LFS calls one Direct3D function and the entire computer hangs.

It shouldn't be possible in any way for an application to cause this effect. I don't even know a way to write a program to cause a computer to hang. So suddenly I think of the graphics card. Hardware can cause such an effect, sometimes.

Do you have the possibility to change to an updated driver for the graphics card? Or roll back to an earlier version?

Which kind of computer is it? Desktop or laptop? Discreet or integrated graphics card?

Before post my first post, I tried with a earlier version of driver of the graphic card and with the last update.

My computer is a desktop with a GTX1070, all components were assembled few years ago.

Maybe a graphic card problem, but others games work very well.

Don't loose your time to find a solution. When I'll do a complete Windows reinstallation, I'll post here if the problem will be resolved or not.
** Best answer **
Quote from Scawen :OK, thanks. No need to try the others.

It's very mysterious.

My SSDD is died (only 1 year), I changed it.
I don't know if the several hard reset has broken it.

So I reinstalled Win10 and U13 works.

The problem, SSD or win10 update? I don't know.
Thanks, good to know!
Bienvenue à Rockingham meuhmeuh !
, cool to see it solved. Dying ssd can be pretty nasty on data corruption I guess.

Lauching problem after update win10 with LFS 0.6U13 [SOLVED]
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG