The online racing simulator
Engine sounds?
(23 posts, started )
Engine sounds?
Do any of you know how LFS Makes/processes engine sounds (i4,i6,f6, etc?)
and if it's possible, how do you mod them?
My understanding is that LFS generates its engine sounds synthetically and does not use a sample-based approach, therefore as far as I'm aware there are no engine sound modding capabilities.
#3 - gu3st
Quote from Johnners :My understanding is that LFS generates its engine sounds synthetically and does not use a sample-based approach, therefore as far as I'm aware there are no engine sound modding capabilities.

That used to be the case, Shift+A opens the sound editor.
Quote from gu3st :That used to be the case, Shift+A opens the sound editor.

It still does, but I'm looking to find a way to alter those synthetic sounds to make an i5 sounding engine.
#5 - 5tag
Quote from UniValvePlums :It still does, but I'm looking to find a way to alter those synthetic sounds to make an i5 sounding engine.

Not possible with stock LFS. However the cars in LFS are built from a modular architecture. Third party applications (tweaks) allow you to change certain parameters. So you can turn the RB4's engine into a 5-cylinder and the game will render the sound accordingly!
Hi OP

I did make these two engine sounds somehow,

Both are using Shift A editor. The Champcar sound of the exhaust crackling/ovverun is done in post-edit though, it won't have that in the game. Let me know if you want either eng file
In my opinion this is nowhere near good sounding... maybe LFS needs FMOD sound engine.
Quote from Evolution_R :In my opinion this is nowhere near good sounding... maybe LFS needs FMOD sound engine.

I agree, that at Richard Burns Rally was incredible !! I believe that here at LiveForSpeed it would be much better

Quote from Evolution_R :In my opinion this is nowhere near good sounding... maybe LFS needs FMOD sound engine.

But i guess over default it's at least better Tongue
Remember that the output is only as good as the input. FMOD is just a sound engine, not a silver bullet.
Quote from gu3st :Remember that the output is only as good as the input. FMOD is just a sound engine, not a silver bullet.

That's the same as people always wanted DX11 or DX12 or whatever, thinking it directly gives super shiny and sharp graphics.

ETS2 and ATS recently switched to FMOD for the sound. It does add some nice new effects their previous engine didn't support, but it's not like it's a night and day difference. They mostly use it for nicer ambient sounds with easy doppler support and echoes from tunnels and overpasses. But the trucks still sound the same.
Here you have an example for XRT, using external software combined with lfs sound.

Quote from Bose321 :That's the same as people always wanted DX11 or DX12 or whatever, thinking it directly gives super shiny and sharp graphics.

ETS2 and ATS recently switched to FMOD for the sound. It does add some nice new effects their previous engine didn't support, but it's not like it's a night and day difference. They mostly use it for nicer ambient sounds with easy doppler support and echoes from tunnels and overpasses. But the trucks still sound the same.

Yeah, it's the same with iRacing. They are using XAudio2 as a secondary audio engine which hasn't changed the sounds of the cars, but has added some nice ambient sounds around the track.
Ok, LFS's devs (Scawen) need to update the car sounds. Not using another engine, but use its own, like the graphics engine not using Unity or Unreal Engine. Big grin
Will it ever be possible to have more than 8 cylinders for inline engines and 16 cylinders in general, custom bank angles, etc
#17 - 5tag
Quote from FFIVGUY :Will it ever be possible to have more than 8 cylinders for inline engines and 16 cylinders in general, custom bank angles, etc

Are you saying the cars can currently be tweaked to have 16 cylinder engines? Whenever I used to meddle with tweaks, they only allowed for up to 12.

Quote from BeNoM :You can achieve this easily with CSR

How would you even do that? (let alone "easily")
Quote from 5tag :Are you saying the cars can currently be tweaked to have 16 cylinder engines? Whenever I used to meddle with tweaks, they only allowed for up to 12.

Depends on the tweak you use, but most commonly there's paragraphs for minimum and maximum cylinder value in tweak that you can change around, and the default limit on most of the cars is 12, with exception of few single car classes and LRF.

Just increase that max amount and you can get 12+ cylinders no problem Smile

As for the engine sounds, it is possible to change the engine pulse sample which can give a completely new tone to a car, but i'm unsure if it's possible to use it to make an inline 4 sound like a V6, for example. But the samples itself are a bit hard to work with, so far i've ended up with massive amounts of sound clipping after i've tried different samples

CSR is great for singleplayer and especially when driving onboard, as it lacks the effects that LFS' sound engine has nowadays, such as doppler. I also think when using it online, it basically recognises cars on track and play their audio as well, because it doesn't really get any positional info from the cars on track so all the sounds are playing on top of each other at same volume. Yamakawa also made a great mod for south city that added a lot of ambient sounds into the game making it sound a lot more lively, and it's a shame that doesn't work either anymore. Big grin

W.I.P (apologies for the environment sounds)
Quote from NovaK :

W.I.P (apologies for the environment sounds)

cool! what sound is this?
Does anyone is able to product a egnigne sound of mercedes c63 amg on fxo?
With the influx of cool mods we're seeing with the latest patch, one thing that's exposed as lacking (in my opinion), is LFS's sounds.

I know that improvements to graphics and physics updates are in the works, but do we know if there are any plans to make sounds better?
#23 - 5tag
I don't think anything is planned in that regard, but I agree it's one of the next big projects that LFS devs should focus on. From what I heard VR support is pretty much unrivaled among driving sims, but so much immersion is lost due to the underwhelming soundscape.

Engine sounds?
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG