The online racing simulator
Video request and a question.
(10 posts, started )
First, the video request. Could someone fraps a replay of a draft on KY oval, A full lap of drafting please in the BF1.

And, for the question: If you're driving the BF1 with a shifter, can you skip gears through the gearbox? For instance, can you go from first to third? Not really important, just curious as to the realism with the BF1's gearbox and ability with a shifter.
Sorry, I don't have a video for you... But I know it works, if thats what you're asking. I've seen a couple of evenly matched cars draft each other to pass the other in a vid somewhere, but not the BF1...

Also, as far as the shifter goes, with one of the test patches (U11) the H-Gear shift switches automaticly to the sequential shifter (see http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9869 for details).
Yes drafting works just fine on the oval. Don't have a video though. And before these U test patches, you were able to use a shifter controller and go through each gear seperately... like from 5th to 1st in an instant. But now, in the next compatible patch, LFS will no longer allow Open wheeled formula cars to use the h-shifter and only be able to use a sequential mode (like with paddle shifters).

This is a realism factor, and you don't use a h-gated shifter in a modern formula car. If you want to use the h-shifter for other cars, it works fine there, you can go crazy with the gears

You have S2, you don't want to try this yourself?
I would just like to see a video for proper drafting technique. Sorry I didn't specify.
Quote from prodeg :I would just like to see a video for proper drafting technique. Sorry I didn't specify.

Just go online and join an Oval server and you'll see

Usually you just stick behind the car infront of you, and the general rule of thumb is to always pass on the inside (And the lead car should let you pass on the inside) so you can be the fastest. Drafting and then attempting to pass on the outside is useless, you don't gain any ground by doing that (or hardly any)

Could view this maybe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YDuA5uXPaQ
That helped a bit. I'm looking for points of re-entry into the draft of the car that just drafted (you) me.

I've been able to draft a bit, but I either pull back behind too late and lose the draft, or suck back in too soon and lose it there as well.
Well you have to know your surroundings, and use the look left/right buttons A LOT to get back into a draft quickly. If you are too far back from them, then you are going too wide and not sticking close. Always try and stay close as possible. If you re-enter the draft too soon, it isn't as effective and you cannot pass them fast enough to get in front of them by a few car lengths. It just takes practice. Watch others that are really fast and battling for position... it's the only way you can learn. Too hard to describe with words.
Well, I ran a 31.68 in the BF1 on the oval without a draft. Then another player offered to assist me in learning to draft and I ran a 31.70 with the draft. I guess, as you say, practice makes perfect.

Thanks for the advice and the video.
Depends on who you draft with, myself with the help of my team mate (EAGLE)Canadaman we got a 30.99 with the draft.
Take a look at the Eagle Race Team website, I'm sure the some of the eagles would love to help you learn. Infact we have an evet comming up for the Oval, as a celebration. Your more then welcome to attend.

http://eagle.TheNZ.org/
Quote from Dygear :Depends on who you draft with, myself with the help of my team mate (EAGLE)Canadaman we got a 30.99 with the draft.
Take a look at the Eagle Race Team website, I'm sure the some of the eagles would love to help you learn. Infact we have an evet comming up for the Oval, as a celebration. Your more then welcome to attend.

http://eagle.TheNZ.org/

Do count me in. I'll only be able to attend for a bit shy of two hours, but I'll be there!

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG