The online racing simulator
Cooling system
(10 posts, started )
Cooling system
Hello.
Can i ask "developers" to think about a car cooling system sensor.. i
mean in car to have sensor for water degrees same like a in real cars.
Тhe car needs to cool down / be able to overheat... and etc.
I think it's very necessary for a game like this, and I've never seen
anything like it in any "racing" game.
#2 - gu3st
iRacing simulates both water and oil temperature. It becomes especially relevant in oval superspeedway racing as you will blow up if you stay in the draft. Front damage can also cause high temps eventually leading into a blown engine.
BeamNG also simulates it.
#4 - bbman
I can't remember the last time a car had to retire due to simply overheating. Other than due to damage, cooling systems nowadays seem to be so overengineered that overheating issues are a thing of the past.

If you want something unique, then go for brake temps and resulting wear. I believe no current sim tracks that (GTR had just temps iirc). Only an issue for endurance races, but something you still see irl as brake wear can't really be engineered away...
Indeed, quite rare to have engines overheating nowadays. But having air temperature and pressure impacting engine performances would be a really cool feature !
#6 - gu3st
Quote from bbman :I can't remember the last time a car had to retire due to simply overheating. Other than due to damage, cooling systems nowadays seem to be so overengineered that overheating issues are a thing of the past.

If you want something unique, then go for brake temps and resulting wear. I believe no current sim tracks that (GTR had just temps iirc). Only an issue for endurance races, but something you still see irl as brake wear can't really be engineered away...

ACC does brake temps and brake wear, including different brake compounds better suited for sprint/endurance with different braking performance, longevity and characteristics.

iRacing also has different brake compounds which affects braking performance. It also does brake temps as well, but it's a pretty hidden feature, with no way to check your current/past/present temperatures, but it does affect braking performance. This is also fed into the sim to do brake glow which looks badass at night.

Edit: I think rFactor 2 also does brake temps.
#7 - bbman
Right, I really do have to invest in ACC one of these days then...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for every possible temperature and their complex interactions being part of all sims, but temps alone isn't really enough. It's like the current clutch model - if all you need to do is not overdrive the car that hard without any further consequence, it becomes a non-issue.

If the damage model is good enough that you have to think about punting another car and risk losing oil/coolant, I'm all for it. If it's only to adjust a few HP of the performance: half won't notice it, the other half won't experience it (when was the last time you were on a server with wind?). Similar with brakes: When you need to decide whether to take a harder compound where you won't beat anyone under brakes or risk having them explode 11 hours into a 12 hour race - heck yeah! If it's "just" to make them glow cool, what's the point?
Hot air temperature or altitude may give an advantage to na engines over turbo ones. So according to where your track is located, it may influence the overall performances of each car... Even if not by that much of course.
And of course having temperature to be managed everwhere is something interesting on the paper, but indeed may not be that nice in the end ...
#9 - gu3st
Quote from bbman :Right, I really do have to invest in ACC one of these days then...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for every possible temperature and their complex interactions being part of all sims, but temps alone isn't really enough. It's like the current clutch model - if all you need to do is not overdrive the car that hard without any further consequence, it becomes a non-issue.

If the damage model is good enough that you have to think about punting another car and risk losing oil/coolant, I'm all for it. If it's only to adjust a few HP of the performance: half won't notice it, the other half won't experience it (when was the last time you were on a server with wind?). Similar with brakes: When you need to decide whether to take a harder compound where you won't beat anyone under brakes or risk having them explode 11 hours into a 12 hour race - heck yeah! If it's "just" to make them glow cool, what's the point?

Well it does affect performance in iRacing's case. Cold brakes brake worse which is expected, they just don't have the wear implemented yet. I also don't know if I've ever raced in a "still" track in iracing. There's always some wind somewhere.

Conversely the damage model is much more sensitive than ACC. In iRacing some front damage might not immediately be terminal, but over time (especially if you don't pit and get all repairs), can result in your engine spontaneously blowing up (to simulate the loss of fluids). A hard enough hit with the wall can be instantly terminal and kill your car immediately. You can also damage your suspension in such a way that when it's repaired, it's still not perfect. It's great to run 24h of Nurburgring when your steering is off centre by the 12 hour mark (my team won 24h that way, we even did an engine swap after it went boom).

The new damage model with break off parts is great too, but still suffers from suspension mount points being static, limiting the deformation possible, but still results in some very satisfying crashes.
The engine temperature is very important for NASCAR drivers. They drive in the zone of the reduced air density (while drafting), where engine cooling is reduced, and car engine tend to overheat. That's why the drives every so often stear the car outside of drafting zone to col down the engine.

Cooling system
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG