The online racing simulator
Mouse + Pedals
(15 posts, started )
Mouse + Pedals
I want to hear your thoughts about mouse + pedals as controller. Is it even that much faster than wheel if used correctly. Also do any of you use mouse + pedals. I use... Tell me your thoughts!
It all depends on the user. I believe the fastest people are actually using keyboard and/or mouse because that's faster than a wheel.

But I guess in the sense of realism it's a step up to be able to control your brake/throttle better. But I don't think it would be comfortable or nice to use. Just get yourself a wheel as well (second hand or a cheap Logitech wheel or something).
I would also like to hear thoughts about this as well, it sounds nice to use pedals for a cruising purpose. I mostly hang out on cruise servers and i use purely mouse.

Mouse to gas, brake and steer. Keyboard for gear up/down.
Quote from Bose321 :It all depends on the user. I believe the fastest people are actually using keyboard and/or mouse because that's faster than a wheel.

But I guess in the sense of realism it's a step up to be able to control your brake/throttle better. But I don't think it would be comfortable or nice to use. Just get yourself a wheel as well (second hand or a cheap Logitech wheel or something).

I have g29 but I want to be faster so that's why I use g29 pedals and mouse. Only downside to mouse is the on or off gas/brake, that's why I think that mouse + pedals is the fastest method because the throttle control. I find it comfortable/nice to use when you set up them the correct way.
I used to use mouse + pedals like 9-10 years ago.

Is it fast? Sure it is. Faster than wheel? I doubt it. Faster inputs is an advantage, but lack of precision is a big drawback. Wheel has a much larger progression scale, mouse + pedal can get big results fast but you will hit diminishing results quicker.

I feel it was an interesting option 10-15 years ago when people were stuck on cheap Momos and the likes, but if you have a G29 or something similar I would not bother.
Quote from MrJonttu :I want to hear your thoughts about mouse + pedals as controller. Is it even that much faster than wheel if used correctly. Also do any of you use mouse + pedals. I use... Tell me your thoughts!

mouse+pedals are superior. would use it irl no doubt. Is it faster than wheel? Yes, but no. I do use it, and i do get pretty damn competitive on it. It all comes down to muscle memory, grind, and how good you can adjust setups/predict car movement.
Quote from Excellent15 :mouse+pedals are superior. would use it irl no doubt. Is it faster than wheel? Yes, but no. I do use it, and i do get pretty damn competitive on it. It all comes down to muscle memory, grind, and how good you can adjust setups/predict car movement.

Do you use mouse and pedals regularly? Damn.
Quote from Excellent15 :mouse+pedals are superior. would use it irl no doubt. Is it faster than wheel? Yes, but no. I do use it, and i do get pretty damn competitive on it. It all comes down to muscle memory, grind, and how good you can adjust setups/predict car movement.

Rt that
Very true
would agree

But yeah muscle memory when it comes to kb/mouse input is vital, as we don't have the linear input that a pedal set would give. Set-up is also crucial in order to bring out the best in the car for the style of the driver - but there are also drivers like Gabor who basically worked with the fastest style and it worked that way as well Big grin

Quote from mbutcher :Do you use mouse and pedals regularly? Damn.

Quote from mbutcher :Do you use mouse and pedals regularly? Damn.

All the time. For a few years now. Na-na
ive gone through that combo aswell, works. LFS is very versatile in terms of setups.
Yesterday was Pete talking about this topic on the stream and I might also share some thoughts cos I use that as well Na-na

Great thing about LFS is, how you can set pretty much anything.

I used this combo about 10 years ago. I found old pedals from basic PS2 wheel and it somehow worked. Previously I was using only mouse, but it has some limits. Made me this change faster? Idk but I felt much more comfortable. Until old controler gave up on me during one endurance Rofl

I got back to pedals about half year ago. I bought some used Thrustmaster wheel. Made that me faster? No idea. I only felt those limits while using mouse.

The most important thng is that muscle memory, as was said above. If you have it -- good for you. If you don't have it, you probably won't make it work.

Also one more thing which helped me - gaming mouse where you can properly set DPI. Settings in LFS itself is good but I found changing DPI on mouse as a better way how to find suitable settings for me.

Go ahead and try!
as you are from finland you could try using the old trick of using the wheel like a mouse, e.g. using low degree of rotation, like 180 degrees or lower. works pretty well if u get used to it

Quote from Excellent15 :and i do get pretty damn competitive on it.

can confirm
Quote from ImudilaSkyline :as you are from finland you could try using the old trick of using the wheel like a mouse, e.g. using low degree of rotation, like 180 degrees or lower. works pretty well if u get used to it

I've been thinking to try low degree of rotation too, but idk.

ps. How does it matter that I'm from Finland :DD
old trick of flying finnsBig grin
Why would a mouse be faster than a wheel though?

Yeah, you can technically change steering input faster but that doesn't really mean a faster laptime. I'd argue that the speed of steering input change doesn't matter at all (within reasonable limits).

Also keep in mind that using a wheel has an advantage of giving you a better experience that you can use in real life if you're into that.

Mouse + Pedals
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG