The online racing simulator
GT2 Challenge 2020: Round 2 Race Director's Notebook
Hi All,

Thank you to the drivers who participated in the 2nd round of the GT2 Challenge 2020. It was great to see another packed grid! Here are a few comments from me following round two:

Communication
I think that having you all on TeamSpeak was a great tool for me to be able to communicate with you as well as the in game messaging. We will look to continue to use and improve our use of this method of communication. In game messages will always be the default but that backed up with voice communication really helps to inform everyone what is going on. I tried to copy as much onto voice chat as I could but please remember that both in game and voice chat are both as important as each other.

Free Practice Virtual Safety Car Exercise
First of all, apologies for the error we had in the insim this time around. We hope to have this fully working for the next round and hope to utilise VSC more where possible.

The Free Practice VSC Exercise will be repeated at the next round to allow you all to experience VSC before it is used for real. I plan to run 2 lots of VSC deployment in the last 5 minutes of the free practice.

The first deployment I encourage you all to be on track and actually go over the VSC speed to experience the procedure and warnings you get when you are over speeding.

For the 2nd deployment I would encourage you all to treat this deployment as a 'real deployment'.

This way it allows you to experience what you should and shouldn't do under VSC as well as what warnings you will get from the system.

Start Line Incident
During the first lap start line incident, I decided to go for Safety Car. This was my initial reaction to the situation from what I saw of the incident and the cars left behind. In hindsight, I could have chosen to go red for it instead. Should that type of incident reoccur, I think I would do. However hindsight is a wonderful thing and as ever, I aim to learn as much as possible from this type of incident.

General Driving Standards
I fully appreciate that this type of 'sprint' GT series comes with the caveat of some door banging, but I hope next round will see some better driving standards across the board like we saw in round one.

Incidents/Protests
There were some comments made mentioning that a lot of incidents happened in the race that should have been looked at by the stewards (who were stuck most of the race reviewing incidents). However, there were very few protests logged to back this up. I hope this is a sign of drivers talking to each other following an incident and sorting it out between themselves. Myself and the stewards can only review so much and can only see so much at once so if there is an incident that you are not happy with, then report it to the stewards who will review it.

Following a penalty being applied in race or post race, I am more than happy to explain the reasoning behind the penalty or rule. However, we will not be able to reverse or change a penalty from this discussion. Should you feel strongly that the penalty is wrong, please follow the appeals procedure proscribed in the NDR Sporting Code.

Yellow Flags
Following a few incidents, more care needs to be taken when approaching a yellow flag or any incident. From the incidents the stewards have looked at, none of them initially resulted in any penalties however, the onus is on the drivers to make sure you obey the flags. We will be monitoring this.

That is everything off the top of my head but as always if you have any questions, comments, suggestions etc please pop them in this thread or fire me a PM and I will do my best to answer them.

I hope to see you all at Aston which I am sure will bring some new and interesting challenges for you all!

Thanks
Jon Provost

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG