The online racing simulator
Pc advice needed to get back into LFS
Hi all!

Many years ago I was quite active here, but had to ‘quite’ because I had no computer to play on anymore. Now I want to get back into playing LFS but need some advice on what to look for when getting a pc that’s capable of running the game that’s also a bit “future proof”.
I read the game isn’t too demanding from what the requirements page says, but you never know what the future brings.

So currently I have a wheel, a Thrustmaster T300rs and plan on using my tv. I am on quite a tight budget and haven’t really kept up with pc gaming over the past years, so I really don’t know what to look for in components that are good (quality and performance) and decently priced.

From what I found at a website there are quite a few options and possibilities...

So;

- CPU: Intel or AMD? I think brand doesn’t matter too much, but what specs would be recommended? How many cores, processor speed, cach etc.
- GPU: RTX or GTX from Nvidia or AMD Radeon? As I plan on using my tv it needs to have hdmi out.
- RAM: I’m guessing more is better but 8 or 16 Gb should be sufficient.
- HDD: SSD is probably best but a bit more expensive than regular mechanical hdd’s.

I preferably go for a ‘gaming pc’ ready to go package instead of building from scratch, not really because I can’t build one, but more because I’m lazy and just want to know for sure the thing works and not chase gremlins for hours/days/weeks just to get the thing to run.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hello!

Welcome back to LFS!

Scawen said that the future big DX11 update for LFS will not be as demanding as it was now in terms of hardware. So if you play on screen, you can play with a mid-range PC that will not cost you much.

Just be aware of that you need a graphic card that can handle DX11 if you want to play LFS with the DX11. And from what i understand, the DX9 and DX10 graphic card will no longer be supported.

But if you are looking for play in VR, (with i recommand you as i'm concerned because it gives a wayyyy mooooree immersive experience with 3d mirrors and real time helmet moving Smile i suggest you for minimum an Intel I5 or I7 with a minimum of 3ghz and an nvidia RTX 2070.
Thanks for the reply Smile

DX11 support is definitely a feature to look for in a gpu, will keep that in mind.
I’m most likely not going to be using vr, it’s still waaayyy too expensive imo and as I wear glasses, a vr headset might not fit at all or be comfortable to wear over them.
-
(lfsrm) DELETED by lfsrm : nvm
#4 - gu3st
Quote from Sponge :Thanks for the reply Smile

DX11 support is definitely a feature to look for in a gpu, will keep that in mind.
I’m most likely not going to be using vr, it’s still waaayyy too expensive imo and as I wear glasses, a vr headset might not fit at all or be comfortable to wear over them.

Depending on how your eyesight is, VR might still be fine without glasses for you. If you can see clearly up to about 2~ meters, then you shouldn't need glasses for VR. Personally I wear contacts for VR because it's just.. that much better.
Quote from Sponge :So currently I have a wheel, a Thrustmaster T300rs and plan on using my tv. I am on quite a tight budget and haven’t really kept up with pc gaming over the past years, so I really don’t know what to look for in components that are good (quality and performance) and decently priced.

You don't have to go for a 1.000 EUR comp if you want it primarily for LFS, as it is now, I don't know what will be required when the upgrade comes (and it'll not come that quickly).

I've got:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) (about 50 EUR)
GPU R9 270X (about 50 EUR)
8 GB RAM
SSD 240 GB (about 35 EUR), but for LFS you can use HDD easily

LFS runs flawlessly at 1920 X 1080

Most GPUs that are 10 years old now, have HDMI, so no worries about it.

So, if you are on a really tight budget at the moment and just want to play LFS, go for something like this and start saving money for when the upgrade comes.
#6 - lfsrm
Budget ?
Quote from gu3st :Depending on how your eyesight is, VR might still be fine without glasses for you. If you can see clearly up to about 2~ meters, then you shouldn't need glasses for VR. Personally I wear contacts for VR because it's just.. that much better.

From about 50cm onwards stuff already gets blurry... I’ve been looking at VR, some sites say they can be used with glasses, but it’ll probably also depend hugely on the type/style/size of glasses you wear. But it’s just way too expensive, even the ‘cheapest’ ones they have...

Quote from sermilan :You don't have to go for a 1.000 EUR comp if you want it primarily for LFS, as it is now, I don't know what will be required when the upgrade comes (and it'll not come that quickly).

I've got:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) (about 50 EUR)
GPU R9 270X (about 50 EUR)
8 GB RAM
SSD 240 GB (about 35 EUR), but for LFS you can use HDD easily

LFS runs flawlessly at 1920 X 1080

Most GPUs that are 10 years old now, have HDMI, so no worries about it.

So, if you are on a really tight budget at the moment and just want to play LFS, go for something like this and start saving money for when the upgrade comes.

The webshop I’m looking at buying from has a filter system where you can select on the typ of use you plan on using the pc for and they give you a ‘medium class’ and ‘high class’ systems, usually €1000 and up for high and €500 to €800 for medium. But the thing it they assume you’ll be playing high end games for the last year or so I probably shouldn’t be too worried about that and just focus on the ‘lower classed’ machines and maybe get a new gpu when the upgrade/update arrives, which can possibly be a couple years from now especially being familiar with the development speed of LFS. Not to ‘slam’ the devs for being slow, but knowing they want it to be perfect and not half baked just for the sake of giving the people a update.

Quote from lfsrm :Budget ?

That’s a bit unknown at the moment, but from some of the research I’ve done, somewhere between €500 and €700 should get me something decent, but obviously I’d prefer to spend as little as possible Wink
#8 - lfsrm
Quote from Sponge :That’s a bit unknown at the moment, but from some of the research I’ve done, somewhere between €500 and €700 should get me something decent, but obviously I’d prefer to spend as little as possible Wink

- AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF Wraith Stealth Edition (3.2 GHz / 3.6 Ghz) 119€94 ( 6C/12t, this can last you for some times )
- ASRock B450M Steel Legend 109€94
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 TUF-GTX1650-4G-GAMING 169€94 ( Maybe you can find a better alternative second hand, like an Nvidia GTX 1060 or a AMD Radeaon RX580 )
- SanDisk SSD PLUS TLC 240 Go 54€95
- Toshiba P300 1 To (Bulk) 49€94 ( or any Hitashi/seagate/westerndigital HDD )
- Cooler Master MasterBox K500L 54€95 ( front mesh case for decent airflow )
- Seasonic S12III-500 80+ 80PLUS Bronze 59€95 ( always consider a certified PSU "80Plus" )
- HyperX Fury 8 Go (2 x 4 Go) DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 59€95 ( for Ryzen processors, they perform the best with dual channel (kit of 2 RAM), high speed and tight timing (tho CL14 kit are out of your budget))

Total : 679€56

You can go Lower if you search for a used video card, but in any case you should consider atm the AMD platform because it offer you the best upgrade possibilities compared to intel, you can pretty much upgrade everything without changing the motherboard.
Thanks Smile

I’ve been able to use a pc configurator to ‘build’ a pc with mostly those components for roughly the same price Smile They can also build it for a decent price, or i could build it myself, but then it requires a different license version of Windows, which will increase cost more than it would cost to have them build and configure it for me... now I need to wait a bit for budget to open up... Tilt
Quote from Pistolero 667 :Hello!

Welcome back to LFS!

Scawen said that the future big DX11 update for LFS will not be as demanding as it was now in terms of hardware. So if you play on screen, you can play with a mid-range PC that will not cost you much.

Just be aware of that you need a graphic card that can handle DX11 if you want to play LFS with the DX11. And from what i understand, the DX9 and DX10 graphic card will no longer be supported.

But if you are looking for play in VR, (with i recommand you as i'm concerned because it gives a wayyyy mooooree immersive experience with 3d mirrors and real time helmet moving Smile i suggest you for minimum an Intel I5 or I7 with a minimum of 3ghz and an nvidia RTX 2070.

Agree with reccomdations but an RTX 2070 is not need to play VR, VR runs fine on a gtx 970 or gtx 1070
I won’t be using VR anyway, at least not for the foreseeable future Smile

The gpu I have in mind is a Asus GeForce GTX 1650 dual 4Gb.
Hi again!
It’s been a while, but there’s good news! My overtime from last year will be paid out in my next paycheck, so I might be able to get a pc in the coming week! Although it depends on how much its going to be, but most likely enough to buy a pc (I could be wrong though, in that case it’s going to be a little while longer).

I’ve been eyeing a particular pc for a few days now, that looks like it has specs that are probably more than sufficient(??) to run LFS and maybe some other sims as well...

- AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3,7Ghz
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super
- 16Gb ram
- 256Gb ssd + 1000Gb hdd

——————— ———————

Fri 29 Jan 2021, 10:28

It might be another week unfortunately... payckeck came, but without the overtime added to it... ohwell... the PC I want is currently temporary sold out anyway

——————— ———————

Update;
Ordered a pc yesterday! Big grin same specs as above, but 8Gb ram instead of 16Gb as that version was still soldout 😞 Should arrive on Saturday 😎
-
(Sponge) DELETED by
The PC arrived Omg omg omg

I had a small issue with the screen resolution as the desktop didn’t fit the tv screen Looking But after some digging, I located the Nvidia software and adjusted the resolution to fit properly Smile With the tv in gaming mode there’s no observable input lag (at least not for me).

The computer is probably a bit overkill for just LFS, with 1 car on track it hits 300+ fps, with 14 ai cars (15 cars in total) the fps was still around 250-ish Smile Also online in a pretty crowded cruise lobby there was no noticeable frame drop of any kind.

All in all I’m very happy with it, just wish I could turn off the green led light on the front, it’s pretty cool at first, but gets annoying quite quickly Frown
Attached images
81B65AF6-3671-4B97-9D51-BC4F17B1C4D9.jpeg
44BDE62A-F30C-4710-BB17-2E8E6B7D1357.jpeg
Well done! I'm sure you'll enjoy the new PC Smile see you online!
Thanks! I’m finding out how easy racing on the PS4 in GTsport is compared to LFS Schwitz Finding the correct braking points, which gear to use etc is pretty hard, but I’m slowly making progress Smile

Pc advice needed to get back into LFS
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG